Absa launches fingerprint ID verification at branches

roguemat

Expert Member
Capitec advertises that they have fingerprint auth - so who's lying?

krycor

Honorary Master
Pretty cool..

but..

that also means that a new entity other than the government has access to your recorded fingerprints. For me, that is scary and i'd have preferred them having their own one or even banking sector etc. Then again maybe i'm just overly worried?

Johnfpro

Capitec have been using this for some time; I'm just not sure if it's linked to the corrrupt Dept of Home Affairs

ITCynic

Expert Member
that also means that a new entity other than the government has access to your recorded fingerprints. For me, that is scary and i'd have preferred them having their own one or even banking sector etc. Then again maybe i'm just overly worried?
I agree with you although I think the banking sector is probably more secure than government.

.... Takes off tinfoil hat ....

etwylite

Sounds like a good thing wrt ID theft and all...however big brotherish.

Interesting that the SAPS are not linked to home affairs.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Wouldn't want to touch that thing after other people have wiped their boogers on it.

boerseun

As if home affairs is secure!!!! What stops a corrupt official at home affairs to link someone else's fingerprint to my identification record(s)?

lucifir

Expert Member
another reason to stay away from absa .... I really don't like this slippery slope of allowing accessing to finger prints .. where does it stop??

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Not sure I like Home Affairs sharing such info with a bank.

Been with Capitec for 2 years and their fingerprint and photo verification system has not had me using my ID in a branch since opening my account. Tyvm.

This will just be another spin for ABSA on why their charges are the most expensive in the country.

nomadmp

HANIS het sy luck probeer....lol. Hope it works as intended,SA gov and systems not always good buddies.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Absa’s head of face-to-face channels, Alfred Ramosedi, said that during the pilot at seven Absa branches, seven cases where applicants tried to fraudulently use the identities of deceased persons to open accounts were detected
Better hope that Home Affairs records are 100% update when you go to the bank I guess. Not like they are ever wrong ... :p

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Sounds like a good thing wrt ID theft and all...however big brotherish.

Interesting that the SAPS are not linked to home affairs.
The reason is pretty simple. Due to data protection legislation they are not allowed to.

zululami

Banned
great, we'll now have people's hands chopped off by criminals to access their cash ...