Wolfe&Co

Hi MyBB Forum.. just sharing my heartwarming experience with Absolute Hosting...

So back in October 2019 we launched our first company Wolfe&Co. not knowing what the web design industry had in store for us, as any web design company, web hosting comes quite naturally as both a sales tool and a utility for preparing client sites... We went through countless web hosting companies, from the cheapest ones out there to some of the "Woolworths" wannabe's like Xneelo.

We went through quite a bit of back and forth and eventually managed to somehow reach Absolute Hosting. At first sight, they were super straightforward. Prices were arguably the best in SA for the quality that we received. So we stuck to Absolute Hosting since then.

Anyways, fast forward to October 2021, we had plans in the pipeline to expand our venture, so we started developing the perfect lead generating website for our company. Many hours spent developing specific protocols and automations to manage client interest on our main site, and this went on up until about Jan 10 2022.

The morning of Jan 11 2022, we did a routine cleanup on our VPS server, as we were getting ready to launch. The plan was to make backups after we cleanup the server(BIG MISTAKE) and we ended up accidentally deleting the main database file for our 3 month "mona Lisa" as we'd call it.

Tears rolling for hours after... If any developer out there has ever spent his blood, sweat and tears developing the perfect system, you will understand the burning sensation in the soul when you accidentally delete your greatest work. Especially if it took you 3 months to perfect. It's the equivalent to building a model airplane that has 800 parts, and having it squashed upon presentation. The feeling is dreadful, to say the least.

All hope was lost... We never made a single backup... How idiotic of us.

Or maybe not? We called Absolute Hosting, hoping they'd have answers for us, and possibly be able to help us find the files in the server trash. To our surprise, they had it all backed up, and suddenly the song of a thousand angels sang before us.

It took 15 minutes and our dread was demolished by the absolute stunning technical team of Absolute Hosting!!

If you're still wondering who the ideal hosting company is... Do the right thing, Absolute Hosting has your back!

Thanks to everyone at Absolute Hosting who helped us with this, 15 minutes of effort in the online world can save businesses!! Never underestimate the value of a great hosting company.

Last edited:

saor

Honorary Master
It's what was on my url, I copied and pasted like any other human being would.
Ja your url's have now all got the affiliate /id-119 bit removed. Maybe I'm just jaded from too much internet.

saor

Honorary Master
Edit : wasn't aware that there were affiliate links
Thanks for removing those @saor and thanks for the kind words @Wolfe&Co
Ja I maybe just need a break from the internet too. This thing just read like a spam script with the "all hope was lost" stuff and a million links. Apologies if I was jumping the gun with accusations.

(/retains doubt)

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
@Jade @ Absolute Hosting your marketing team have gone crazy.
Absolutely no affiliation at all, he's a legitimate client of ours :whistling:
Ja I maybe just need a break from the internet too. This thing just read like a spam script with the "all hope was lost" stuff and a million links. Apologies if I was jumping the gun with accusations.

/retains doubt
No stress at all, and thanks for being on the ball

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
All hope was lost... We never made a single backup... How idiotic of us.
How can something like this even happen? Never mind if data was lost during or after development, a crisis can occur at any time. Backups are like insurance, if insurance covered everything and cost almost nothing.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
How can something like this even happen? Never mind if data was lost during or after development, a crisis can occur at any time. Backups are like insurance, if insurance covered everything and cost almost nothing.
As a dev:
Probably didn't know about best practices or didn't care enough to do them?

I mean who wants to put in the extra effort, hours and cost to play it safe?

I've worked with a developer before who had no source control because of a what could possibly go wrong attitude.

Let's not forget about a rollout plan which actually includes a rollback. It's normally the people who laugh at you when you normally do a test deployment first on staging for sign-off before production because it's work and takes time that cries the hardest when **** hits the fan.

As to the OP:
I hope you've learnt your lesson and start to adopt best practices. Of course it's not nice when this happens but was avoidable. However, it is still good that you've gotten this sorted out.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
As a dev:
Probably didn't know about best practices or didn't care enough to do them?

I mean who wants to put in the extra effort, hours and cost to play it safe?

I've worked with a developer before who had no source control because of a what could possibly go wrong attitude.

Let's not forget about a rollout plan which actually includes a rollback. It's normally the people who laugh at you when you normally do a test deployment first on staging for sign-off before production because it's work and takes time that cries the hardest when **** hits the fan.

As to the OP:
I hope you've learnt your lesson and start to adopt best practices. Of course it's not nice when this happens but was avoidable. However, it is still good that you've gotten this sorted out.
A few months in the industry should have sorted out an attitude like that, so I can't even wrap my head around it...

Another thing that does my head in is the number of companies using Xneelo for hosting. Takes a quick LoadStorm test to get them to agree to switch. Dunno what sysadmin thinks they're okay for corporate use. And it's especially tense when you're waiting for them to confirm colocation or not. If the former, cheers this isn't going to work out.