• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Accounts Complaint and Incompetent staff

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
I signed up with Afrihost in January 2018, and unfortunately had to move homes in August. I communicated with an agent (i have all the emails), and long story short - I was given no option but to cancel as Afrihost was not able to provide service to the complex I moved into. When I cancelled through the client zone portal, there was no mention about a cancellation fee. Telephonically no mention was made either. Confirmation was received, twice, that my account has been cancelled and no further payments are due. A month later, I got sent an invoice of R999.00, debited on 06/09/2018. I contacted Afrihost to dispute this and I was told that its the cancellation fee, and also because I still have the router. No one has ever informed me that I need to return the router. In the mean time, Fribre got installed at my home by Openserve and I signed up with a different service provider. Yes, after Afrihost repeatedly told me that they are unable to provide a service to me. I requested to withdraw my cancellation, keep the router and for Afrihost to re-connect me. They again, showed me away in that they are amendment that there they are unable to re-connect me.
I was advised on more than one occasion, by more than one consultant that if I return the router, I would be able to be credited for the R999.00 deducted. This was arranged, and the router was collected from my office on 05/09/2018 which was also confirmed by Afrihost that they received it. Now that I have requested to be credited, they refuse to.

They should credit me, because:

1) I never wanted to cancel in the first place.
2) They advised me that it would be the only option and that they are unable to provide a service to me.
3) I have email confirmation on all of the above, and that it was confirmed that there are no amounts payable.
4) No one from Afrihost communicated to me that there will be a cancellation fee and that I need to return the router. I even asked specifically about the cancellation fee and even received a response to say that there are no fees to pay.
5) It was confirmed that if I return the router, I will be credited, by more than one consultant (I am sure all calls are recorded as proof)
6) I have returned the router in perfect condition like I was advised to do and given no other option.

I have logged a complaint on ISPA, Resolve SA (where they are still unable to assist, I have a complete record of tlmy case) and will be logging it with the ombudsman if this matter is not sorted asap.

Email correspondence is available on request, but surely afrihost gave all communications on record.

I look forward to your prompt response on this matter.

Yours faithfully,

Jackie van Molendorff

:

This really sounds like a horrible situation and it really shouldn't have been that painful. :(

It think I may have found your account and I see that you have been refunded - if that wasn't your account. Please send me a PM with your account information so I can verify this for you.

If you haven't gotten a refund I will definitely arrange this as you really shouldn't have gone through this.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
There is currently and has been for at least the past 6 months ( as I signed up 6 months ago) a clear stipulation on their website at the bottom of the page re cancellation charge of R999, at least for their Fixed LTE products with "free" router within 6 months of signup...

Not sure if this applies to other/all their products.

As far as promising you a refund, if you have an official email from them advising as such ,then you should, technically, be able to get your money back.
This doesn't apply to all of our services, it only applies to select services and this would mentioned on the sign up page.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
I would say you have a pretty solid case. Especially since they took back the router from you. There is a clause which states if you cancel within the first 6 months that you'll be liable for a R999 charge, but the router should have been yours to keep.

Simply on those grounds, they should refund you the R999 as a goodwill gesture for the error on their part.

From a legal standpoint, at the very least they owe you a router, but at this point, any reasonable company would just refund the R999 charge and move on.
We have a policy on our side that if you return the device we'll refund you the cancellation fee. :)

Totempole

Expert Member
We have a policy on our side that if you return the device we'll refund you the cancellation fee. :)
Good to know. I hope with time that your support staff will become more familiar with this policy. I was faced with a similar scenario at the beginning of this year.

Fortunately the payment bounced since I wasn't planning on getting billed over R2K, but the frustration was real in getting it sorted out.

I currently have VDSL through Afrihost now though, and have been really happy with it.

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Company Rep
Good to know. I hope with time that your support staff will become more familiar with this policy. I was faced with a similar scenario at the beginning of this year.

Fortunately the payment bounced since I wasn't planning on getting billed over R2K, but the frustration was real in getting it sorted out.

I currently have VDSL through Afrihost now though, and have been really happy with it.
Glad to hear it, shout if you need anything else. :)

I was trying to help the OP, maybe direct your replies to her? :)
Definitely, I believe this has been resolved :thumbsup:

Drop me a PM if you need further help Jackievm88