Accused and Humiliated by staff when walking into Telkom Direct.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Don't judge too soon. Tertio might be Coloured, and now05ster could be Black. Context also matters.
There is no getting away for it - they mentioning people's race which is wrong! Next we'll have the dompas reinstated!

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
OP should let Telkom management know. They're rather keen to get rid of those sorts of people as they cause great harm to customers and the company.

Approaching Telkom is more similar to approaching Dept of Home Affairs or SAPO then approaching your a commercial customer centric outfit.

MickeyD

RIP
Approaching Telkom is more similar to approaching Dept of Home Affairs or SAPO then approaching your a commercial customer centric outfit.
You reckon? Let's see what happens after the OP lodges his formal complaint.

MickeyD

RIP
I use Telkom purely for Adsl and not to make calls.

I went to Telkom in The Bridge, Port Elizabeth to pay my monthly bill. When I arrived I didn't open the door immediately, because I thought they were closed. I saw a few customers inside still being helped and pushed the wrong door and it didn't open. I stood there and a child looked at me and I said to the kid i want to pay. I went ahead and pushed the other door and it opened.

Once I walked in a coloured man, around 1.8 meters tall, large frame and short hair rushed up to me, accusing me in a loud voice in front of all the staff and customers that I forced open a locked door and that he saw me pushing it. Feeling humiliated I told him i did no such thing, but he repeated himself. I asked him to review the security footage, but instead he laughed at me and walk back to his desk. If I truly forced open a locked door purely by pushing it normally, there's a serious security threat at this branch.

I continued into the store, seeing customers sitting down with no staff nearby. While asking if they were in the que, the same man shouts from across the room that they are not here to help me. I told him i was only asking if they were in the que.

I've never felt this unwelcome before. For me the worst is that all the staff seem to just ignore the man attacking me and continued doing their own thing.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Date and time?

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
There is no getting away for it - they mentioning people's race which is wrong! Next we'll have the dompas reinstated!

Context matters. If the OP felt so humiliated it may mean he has PTSD type injury from previous episodes or indirect episodes on his ancestors. Someone who has always been a ruler will take attempts at humiliation or other offenses differently to someone who comes from a persecuted class, especially if it's an ex-second class person doing the humiliation against an ex-first class person. And SA does have a racial hierarchy going on. Black people were at the bottom and in many cases still are and it's not like some Indian and Coloured people did not look down on them either.

Aghori

Honorary Master
I used to have similar problems with those blerrie bruinos shouting at me in the local Tekom store. It's just the nature of some people to be loud and vocal. I swore back at him and called him a does en a poephoel and questioned his parentage.

We seemed to understand each other after that incident because whenever I go to pay now he always smiles and says "howzit u ****er" which I usually reply to him with "Waar is jy suster, ek hou daarvan om haar pap te eet!?"

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Context matters. If the OP felt so humiliated it may mean he has PTSD type injury from previous episodes or indirect episodes on his ancestors. Someone who has always been a ruler will take attempts at humiliation or other offenses differently to someone who comes from a persecuted class, especially if it's an ex-second class person doing the humiliation against an ex-first class person. And SA does have a racial hierarchy going on. Black people were at the bottom and in many cases still are and it's not like some Indian and Coloured people did not look down on them either.

I think your sarcasm meter is broken

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
I used to have similar problems with those blerrie bruinos shouting at me in the local Tekom store. It's just the nature of some people to be loud and vocal. I swore back at him and called him a does en a poephoel and questioned his parentage.

We seemed to understand each other after that incident because whenever I go to pay now he always smiles and says "howzit u ****er" which I usually reply to him with "Waar is jy suster, ek hou daarvan om haar pap te eet!?"

Awww that's so sweet. At least you did not exchange a p--sklap. Now that's nation building for ya. And you're also friends with Telkom too.

For some reason people treat me with respect. The rudeness is always low tone and expressed via the lassitude laden body language.