Ace Magashule must immediately step aside, rules ANC's integrity commission

TheChamp

Honorary Master
What did they call it before Bell Pottinger came up with the phrase WMC?
I knew the term way before Bell Pottinger came along, it was used in politics before Bell Pottinger, it has always been a mystery to me when people think the term was invented by BP.

Priapus

Executive Member
I knew the term way before Bell Pottinger came along, it was used in politics before Bell Pottinger, it has always been a mystery to me when people think the term was invented by BP.

It was invented by them. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a reference to WMC, before BP's involvement in SA politics.

surface

Honorary Master
What did they call it before Bell Pottinger came up with the phrase WMC?

It was invented by them. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a reference to WMC, before BP's involvement in SA politics.

SACP is generally credited with usage of the concept although WMC acronym probably became famous recently. SACP used white monopoly/white capitalist/European capitalist a lot. Unless BP was behind SACP in 1962 but one never knows these "pesky colonials" like BP.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot

Screenshot from 2021-05-03 13-56-48.png

Anyway, I find it amusing that a white gal from England came up with a phrase most extremists in SA use today...

Sollie

Honorary Master
Well, WMC is just a racist take on OPM - Other People's Money - and trying to justify stealing it using race as an excuse.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
No it wasn't, the fact that you can't find references to it before Bell Pottinger does not mean it was invented by them, that's like saying RET was invented by Carl Niehaus because it wasn't widely used before Carl Niehaus and the Zuptoids popularized it.

Priapus

Executive Member
No it wasn't, the fact that you can't find references to it before Bell Pottinger does not mean it was invented by them, that's like saying RET was invented by Carl Niehaus because it wasn't widely used before Carl Niehaus and the Zuptoids popularized it.

Do you have proof it was used before BP's involvement?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Do you have proof it was used before BP's involvement?
Nothing I can readily provide for you, but that term was used in rallies of the ANC, Cosatu and the SACP way before we even thought we would have the Gupta problem, I would think that it might be new to some people but it isn't. I won't be looking for it but if I do come across it I will post it and tag you. It doesn't make much of a difference to me so I am happy for you to keep your position that it was invented by Bell Pottinger, but as I say I knew of the term way before Bell Pottinger.

Priapus

Executive Member
Nothing I can readily provide for you, but that term was used in rallies of the ANC, Cosatu and the SACP way before we even thought we would have the Gupta problem, I would think that it might be new to some people but it isn't. I won't be looking for it but if I do come across it I will post it and tag you. It doesn't make much of a difference to me so I am happy for you to keep your position that it was invented by Bell Pottinger, but as I say I knew of the term way before Bell Pottinger.

Fair enough. I'll keep my position until proven otherwise, I have never attended such rallies and never heard the term before BP's involvement. So that's all I have to go on, really.

Priapus

Executive Member
Also:
This transcript is taken from a clandestine edition, approximately 8cm x 14 cm in size. It is not dated but is known to have been written in 1962, and this is confirmed from the text, which mentions events up to 1962, and PAFMECSA, an organization which was overtaken by the OAU in May, 1963.
Hardly compelling evidence when we can't even be sure when exactly it was written.

Priapus

Executive Member
It'a been on sahistoryonline since 2004, so it predates Bell Pottinger.

If that is the case, I will concede on that front. There's no denying that BP popularised the term for political gain only and to racially divide the country.

3WA

Honorary Master

Still before the Guptas signed Bell Pottinger?

According to this, the Guptas signed BP in 2016.

Also, from the link above:

In the midst of that campaign, racial tensions rose to levels that had not been felt since apartheid. “White monopoly capital,” a phrase that for years had been confined to left-wing academic circles, was suddenly unavoidable. A political group with reported links to the Guptas warned of a coming civil war.

Sollie

Honorary Master
Still before the Guptas signed Bell Pottinger?

According to this, the Guptas signed BP in 2016.

Also, from the link above:
Oh great, send me to a subscription service (clicks NoJS).

Maybe they were doing work for the SACP before that. Who knows. They'd been at it for a long time already. (speculation)

If anything, it showed just how gullible people are, hearing what they want to hear. Facts don't matter.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
View attachment 1061907

I'm not sure what could be better proof.

It'a been on sahistoryonline since 2004, so it predates Bell Pottinger.

View attachment 1061909

The real document is actually much older. It's pre-2004 and was transcribed from the booklet it mentions.

Even if the term WMC predates Bell Pottinger, it doesn't matter. It still worked.

Reactions: 3WA