Acer TravelMate P648-m: shutdown only restarts, perpetual loop--help me with fix

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Hi there,
I have a new Acer TravelMAte laptop with HHD (no SDD). I got it with Windows 7 x64 Pro, then I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro x64.
when I "soft" shutdown using the windows start menu->shutdown, the laptop powers down, then 3-4 seconds later, automatically restarts; this happens when the laptop also goes onto sleep on its own after x minutes; so in essence the laptop is continuously on. The only way to make it power down and stay powered down is by hard pressing the power button. But this makes Windows very unhappy when you reboot from cold.

The problem started in Win 7 (in fact when I first booted into the machine, brand new, I got Win 7 shutdown error, and gave me the boot menu to choose from ...."Start Windows Normally"--which happens when we hard shutdown the machine using the power button. I thought upgrading to Windows 10 would help, but it persists-shutdown--actually restarts the laptop.

I have searched Google for a fix, and tried a number of suggestions, notably:

1. under power settings, uncheck the "fast start" option;
    updated all drivers to latest version
    even tried the registry hack
    unchecked the WiFI, network devices to "wake" up the laptop
    I even updated the BIOS to the latest version;
    reset the BIOS to defaults

Nothing seems to be working. I noticed a strange this under
Power Options>Choose or customise Power Plan>
I only see a Balanced power plan --no high performance or any other plan.

Could someone help me fix this, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks

absynth

Expert Member
Turn off Fast Startup and see if that helps.

Control Panel > Choose what the power buttons do > Change settings that are currently unavailable > untick Turn on fast startup
Save Changes.

Edit: Sorry I didn't read that you tried that already.Worked for me with an Acer laptop before.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ZA/content/professional-model/NX.VCLEA.011

Is it the one above and do you still have a warranty on it?

Last edited:

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Turn off Fast Startup and see if that helps.

Control Panel > Choose what the power buttons do > Change settings that are currently unavailable > untick Turn on fast startup
Save Changes.

Edit: Sorry I didn't read that you tried that already.Worked for me with an Acer laptop before.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ZA/content/professional-model/NX.VCLEA.011

Is it the one above and do you still have a warranty on it?
Thanks--I have tried all that--no luck.

Yes I have a warranty--it looks like a hardware problem.

What I have noticed is that when I close the lid, the laptop actually powers down and shuts down, does not restart automatically. When I open lid--it does not resume from sleep, but rather stays off; I have to use power button to start--then starts from cold boot.

Strange behaviour.