ACSA acting like typical thugs

Mekon

Expert Member
I know someone who works at a place that stores cars for people with their drivers meeting the clients at the airport and taking the car and when the client returns meeting the client with their cars. This is far cheaper than OR tambo's exorbitant parking rates. There are a few companies that do this. Now ACSA wants to stop this because they losing out on charging people exorbitant parking rates. The drivers are even being hassled by the traffic cops that are always there and there is even a rumour going around that even the drop off zone will become a R20 affair because I'm guessing ACSA is hard up for money. Is this even legal and has anyone here heard about this?

R13...

Honorary Master
Assume they're being harassed for spending too much time in the drop off zone. Otherwise it would be illegal to stop people using the drop off zone. The airports are a pain due to people using the drop off like regular parking and even parking in the road when it is full.

And you should post this in off topic. It is not CA and you'll get more responses there.

lotus123

Assume they're being harassed for spending too much time in the drop off zone. Otherwise it would be illegal to stop people using the drop off zone. The airports are a pain due to people using the drop off like regular parking and even parking in the road when it is full.

And you should post this in off topic. It is not CA and you'll get more responses there.
Every airport in the world has this problem. Except that one in Tibet, I think.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Yeah, beyond being hassled for hanging around in the Drop Off/Pick Up zone for too long there is nothing the traffic cops or ACSA can actually do.

King Shaka already have instituted a pay setup in the Pickup zone for precisely this reason, you get 10 or 15 minutes free, and after that you have to pay and it ain't cheap.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Why cant the clients just meet the "service provider" at their premises where the cars are stored?
The driver can then drop the client off using their own car and drive back to the premises.

lotus123

I know someone who works at a place that stores cars for people with their drivers meeting the clients at the airport and taking the car and when the client returns meeting the client with their cars. This is far cheaper than OR tambo's exorbitant parking rates. There are a few companies that do this. Now ACSA wants to stop this because they losing out on charging people exorbitant parking rates. The drivers are even being hassled by the traffic cops that are always there and there is even a rumour going around that even the drop off zone will become a R20 affair because I'm guessing ACSA is hard up for money. Is this even legal and has anyone here heard about this?
The parking at ORT is outsourced. More likely that the EMPD are at the heart of this - they lost a fortune in fines revenue last year.

And whatever you do, don't get a fine there - it comes with an automatic criminal record unless you get it cancelled (You can't ignore it, or pay the admission of guilt, and reducing the fine is no good either - it hits you).

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
Sounds to me like your friend should stop using an airport as a used car sales lot.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master

Or using the dropoff zone as a used car sales lot?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Why cant the clients just meet the "service provider" at their premises where the cars are stored?
The driver can then drop the client off using their own car and drive back to the premises.
Wouldn't that add to the cost?

surface

Honorary Master
Yes. I meet service provider at my premises and then driver picks & drops me off to airport and goes to fetch other client. I store car at my place so parking is absolutely free.

p.s. maybe I am not thinking here.

Bismuth

Expert Member
Every airport in the world has this problem. Except that one in Tibet, I think.

Yeah, there you are either flying into a mountain, or landing in people's backyard. I haven't really heard of anyone using Lukla as a final stop, merely a transfer, from what I've seen. Do people actually disembark and STAY in Lukla?

On thread topic though, I have used one of these service providers as recently as end March/beginning April, no mention of these plans by ACSA, but maybe they are hard up for cash. Imagine paying R20 just be dropped off/picked up... Fark that, walk down the road and get picked up there, heh.

It's not the money, it's the principle, for me.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Wouldn't that add to the cost?

I would think it would be cheaper for the business.

They use the clients car (wear and tear) and fuel when the client is departing. On arrival, they will drop the car off with the client and the driver will have to make his own way back to the premises. Unless there is another driver coming with another client and their car, then both drivers can return at once. That may be a very rare occurrence though

I assume the current method is where the driver makes his own way to the airport (probably included in the service cost), then takes the departing clients car back to the premises. Then on arrival they will drop the car off with the client and the driver will have to make his own way back. In this scenario the company may include two costs of travel for the driver to get to and from the airport/premises.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I have used one of this services before and had to give them my flight details. I don't know how they do it but they were waiting for me when I exited. If they follow the flight etc then I think it is fine, but if they wait till I get there it might be a problem. They also picked me up at the drop-off zone, not pick up zone which is an issue.

Most of the traffic issues at ORT is caused by people waiting there. If the people you are picking up are not there you have to wait in the parking, not the pickup/drop off zone. They already give you 10 minutes free. You can go to Empire's Palace and wait till they tell you they have picked up the bags. You will probably still have to wait for them.

They should just make the pick up and drop off zone like King Shaka, where you have 15 minutes to get in and out for free. After the free period they can charge a premium amount to make sure people will think twice of overstaying their welcome.

Bismuth

Expert Member
I have used one of this services before and had to give them my flight details. I don't know how they do it but they were waiting for me when I exited. If they follow the flight etc then I think it is fine, but if they wait till I get there it might be a problem. They also picked me up at the drop-off zone, not pick up zone which is an issue.

Most of the traffic issues at ORT is caused by people waiting there. If the people you are picking up are not there you have to wait in the parking, not the pickup/drop off zone. They already give you 10 minutes free. You can go to Empire's Palace and wait till they tell you they have picked up the bags. You will probably still have to wait for them.

They should just make the pick up and drop off zone like King Shaka, where you have 15 minutes to get in and out for free. After the free period they can charge a premium amount to make sure people will think twice of overstaying their welcome.

Yep, have had the same experience, think they track the flight. I have also used a shuttle service on occasion, you tell them what time you want them there, and they are there at pretty much exactly that time. they parked in the parking lot though, naturally.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Or they can keep driving around in circles from the parking to the petrol station and back down to the parking endlessly until the passenger is waiting for you, like I always do :)

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
Yeah, there you are either flying into a mountain, or landing in people's backyard. I haven't really heard of anyone using Lukla as a final stop, merely a transfer, from what I've seen. Do people actually disembark and STAY in Lukla?

On thread topic though, I have used one of these service providers as recently as end March/beginning April, no mention of these plans by ACSA, but maybe they are hard up for cash. Imagine paying R20 just be dropped off/picked up... Fark that, walk down the road and get picked up there, heh.

It's not the money, it's the principle, for me.
I think what they're trying to achieve is improving security around the airport. If you don't have to be there you shouldn't. Otherwise it becomes a thoroughfare for thugs. Already it's quite an issue to secure passengers leaving the airport. If you don't need to use the airport, you shouldn't be there.