ACSA acting like typical thugs

Bismuth

Expert Member
I think what they're trying to achieve is improving security around the airport. If you don't have to be there you shouldn't. Otherwise it becomes a thoroughfare for thugs. Already it's quite an issue to secure passengers leaving the airport. If you don't need to use the airport, you shouldn't be there.

I understand this, but if I am using a shuttle service or valet parking, we are all valid users of the airport.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
I understand this, but if I am using a shuttle service or valet parking, we are all valid users of the airport.
And you should pay. I'm just stating the likely motivation for the heavy fees IMO.
Besides, no doubt the costs to run the AP are enormous.

EADC

Executive Member
I costed this, was the most convenient, but most expensive option of them all.

The cost of arriving at the airport less stressed and on time is priceless. I will always fork out the extra.

lotus123

There is a cheap long term parking option at ORT, you just book online and prepay. It works very smoothly.

Bismuth

Expert Member
The cost of arriving at the airport less stressed and on time is priceless. I will always fork out the extra.

It all depends on how long you are away for, sometimes the Gautrain can be one of the cheaper options. And yes, I agree it is the most convenient option of them all, regardless of cost.

Take this costing example for a 14-day trip in December, from Pretoria, and using Uber to/from the Hatfield Gautrain, that I just did quickly:

ACSA Parking R 1,728.00
Valet Parking - Mr Parking R 900.00
EZ Shuttle R 1,200.00
Gautrain/Uber R 900.00
Uber R 1,014.00

In this case, I would choose the Gautrain. Just depends on the flights though.

Bismuth

Expert Member
There is a cheap long term parking option at ORT, you just book online and prepay. It works very smoothly.

Is that the one off Griffiths Road, and you catch a shuttle to the terminal? I've used it when I was staff for an airline, but never as a member of the public, or though I think you can, don't think you even need to prebook. AKA Super South Parking.

rodga

Honorary Master
Is that the one off Griffiths Road, and you catch a shuttle to the terminal? I've used it when I was staff for an airline, but never as a member of the public, or though I think you can, don't think you even need to prebook. AKA Super South Parking.
No the new long term parking is at the airport, parkade 2 I think
Long term parking would cost you R884.00 in this case. 01/06 - 14/06

edit: corrected price and added dates

surface

Honorary Master
It all depends on how long you are away for, sometimes the Gautrain can be one of the cheaper options. And yes, I agree it is the most convenient option of them all, regardless of cost.

Take this costing example for a 14-day trip in December, from Pretoria, and using Uber to/from the Hatfield Gautrain, that I just did quickly:

ACSA ParkingR 1,728.00
Valet Parking - Mr ParkingR 900.00
EZ ShuttleR 1,200.00
Gautrain/UberR 900.00
UberR 1,014.00

In this case, I would choose the Gautrain. Just depends on the flights though.
As per this chart, it would cost 770 rands to park 14 days at ORT. Not sure if link is up to date though.

rodga

Honorary Master
Comes out at R952.00 for me... interesting.
Depends on the days (Im sure you counted 15 days like I did the first time) and also how far in advance you book - more than 5 days will give you the max discount iirc

Bismuth

Expert Member
As per this chart, it would cost 770 rands to park 14 days at ORT. Not sure if link is up to date though.

It depends, would have to get a quote from them to confirm, not giving them my details just yet.

Bismuth

Expert Member
Depends on the days (Im sure you counted 15 days like I did the first time) and also how far in advance you book - more than 5 days will give you the max discount iirc

I used the same dates (01/06-14/06), so should've come out the same, unless it added an extra day?

Bismuth

Expert Member
An Uber for me. Just factor in delays and arrive early.

I always do when flying anywhere, last time I flew international in 2019, flight was at 21:00 or so, arrived at the airport at 14:00. I don't get bored at airports, lol.

rodga

Honorary Master
I used the same dates (01/06-14/06), so should've come out the same, unless it added an extra day?
Check your times as well. If you leave at a later time of the day than you arrived it will count as an extra day