Activision Blizzard Sued Over ‘Frat Boy’ Culture, Harassment

Emjay

Honorary Master
Now I feel bad for buying Diablo II Resurrected. :-(
I really liked that game back in the day, and the remaster looks awesome.

Pity the company treats its employees like shet. Is this pure capitalism?

Nope. It's something else. This type of culture hurts the company's bottom line. No developer is worth this type of appeasement. I suspect it has a lot to do with culture at the top trickling down and not being addressed. There is no way top management didn't know what was going on.

I got a referral to interview for a position there on the infrastructure side, but circumstances here in SA make it impossible for me leave so I turned it down. Looking back now it may have been a blessing.

One thing that has always amazed me is that the developers in these companies could typically double or triple their income just by changing industries, but don’t, because they want to be on the credit list for Start Craft, World of Warcraft, Diablo, etc.

I mean, perhaps they could conceivably be proud of the enemy AI system, path finding, predictive networking or 3D rendering, etc., but the majority are responsible for exporting models to files, game installation, credit card processing, managing subscriptions and identity, leaderboards, opponent pairing, packaging, secure logins, multi-language support, sound/control/display menu options, cut scene replay, or just general debugging. Nothing wrong with any of this of course, but just not the sort of thing I would expect people to sacrifice a better livelihood for.

Feels almost cult like. I certainly wouldn't stick around with that type of behaviour. I probably would have whistle blew as well.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Seesh. Been there when I was younger, so I know the feels. I was instructed by the partners at the firm I was working at hire to limo for a movie night which cost more than my entire month's salary. I was battling to pay for a text book for my studies at that point, even while living with my parents. I was crushed. I didn't stay long.

I don't think the Blizzard brand is going to have this pull for much longer after all this.
Guess it's an inappropriate time to ask you if the chest featured on your profile pic is yours?

Last edited:

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Nope. It's something else. This type of culture hurts the company's bottom line. No developer is worth this type of appeasement. I suspect it has a lot to do with culture at the top trickling down and not being addressed. There is no way top management didn't know what was going on.

I got a referral to interview for a position there on the infrastructure side, but circumstances here in SA make it impossible for me leave so I turned it down. Looking back now it may have been a blessing.

Feels almost cult like. I certainly wouldn't stick around with that type of behaviour. I probably would have whistle blew as well.
Guys take silence from a woman when they are being knowingly disrespectful/inappropriate to women as permission to be more disrespectful/inappropriate.
You can see how years of women not saying anything to rock the boat during the early days of the company could morph into the situation it is now.

Back to my first point, I feel that you can see this same sort of situation playing out with guys on this site with a certain female user on this forum. I for one am curious on what the other female forumites make of that whole situation.

Last edited:

CommonSense

Guys take silence from a woman when they are being knowing disrespectful/inappropriate with women as permission to be more disrespectful/inappropriate.
You can see how years of women not saying anything to rock the boat in the early days of the company could morph into the situation it is now.

Back to my first point, I feel you can see this sort of situation playing out with guys on this site with a certain female user on this forum. I for one am curious on what the other female forumites make of that whole situation.

Let me just say that this does not appear to be good grammar. Emjay will not approve.

CommonSense

Sometimes you dodge a bullet for something by sheer luck.

I accept your reply, but it does leave a slight moral dilemma, a sort of mini crisis of conscience.

Do you keep on supporting a company because by not supporting them, you could negatively affect the employees more, or do you keep on buying the products and "hope" that good wins over evil in the end and that the company changes for the better?

CommonSense

I'm not trying to be sexy. But I did a fix a couple glaring mistakes since you pointed it out.

Trust me, I'm the last one who can actually throw stones. Sometimes I just type what is in my head and when I read it afterwards I go "WTF".

That was just some light banter. No ill intent. :)

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I'm not trying to be sexy. But I did a fix a couple glaring mistakes since you pointed it out.
Couple 'of'. Also, don't start a sentence with conjunctions such as 'and' and 'but', despite what the internet might tell you...

Sollie

Honorary Master
Trust me, I'm the last one who can actually throw stones. Sometimes I just type what is in my head and when I read it afterwards I go "WTF".

That was just some light banter. No ill intent. :)
Here's the thing. I type, already thinking a few sentences ahead, change my mind. I also have those WTF moments. Yet @Emjay has never criticized me.

Yet there has been others that have, in fact they're petty about it, targeted. I really don't think anybody can think they're on a sexy list, not even they themselves, if they're honest. I won't mention names, but we know them.

So I suspect it more to do with: "hi yarll hw ur ur all doin tday" or "Hey, I'm a smartass"

wizardofid

Executive Member
One thing that has always amazed me is that the developers in these companies could typically double or triple their income just by changing industries, but don’t, because they want to be on the credit list for Start Craft, World of Warcraft, Diablo, etc.

I mean, perhaps they could conceivably be proud of the enemy AI system, path finding, predictive networking or 3D rendering, etc., but the majority are responsible for exporting models to files, game installation, credit card processing, managing subscriptions and identity, leaderboards, opponent pairing, packaging, secure logins, multi-language support, sound/control/display menu options, cut scene replay, or just general debugging. Nothing wrong with any of this of course, but just not the sort of thing I would expect people to sacrifice a better livelihood for.

Been working in the industry since 2005, professionally since 2014, extremely long hours, often repetitive, mundane stuff for next to nothing, however because it pays in dollars and pounds it is worth for me. I don't care about the credits, I care about player reaction and criticism more for growth.

However it seems to me you have it all wrong with regards to developers sure you get programmers and back end and front end support but majority of any team is made up 3D artists, animators, texture artists. While a company prefers having a rounded 3D artist that is capable of doing 3D art, animation and 3d texturing, it isn't uncommon for a 3D artists to be able to do scripting as well.

The industry has shifted in the role requirement for the most part , "level designer" is an obsolete term and has been replaced with "3D artist" and generally has several roles.

"majority are responsible for exporting models to files" That is so far removed from the truth. Generally studio's make use of tools like autodesk 3d max and has pretty much every possible file export capability you can imagine, and because of the support of being able to run scripts as well as develop in house formats used with a specific engine even in house tools that specific export to the require model format.

"majority do not spend time exporting model files." Don't know where you get that from if you even seen the average 3D artist work flow you would know better. But to give you a quick example of the work flow I use.
Autodesk 3d max, photoshop/quixel plugin (PBR texturing tool). Pixplant (which allows generating seamless textures from images as required.) Fragmotion which allows quick editing of various little details, like deleting and fixing animation frames, exporting an assigning of animation frames. Quick texture assignment and general smaller details as needed.

The model is exported in obj format, which is supported by max, photoshop, and fragmotion and imported directly into engine, and the engine automatically converts to native supported format without further users interaction. So no majority do not spend time converting models. 3D artists have several tools that they can use that allows automation for practically every thing.I could likely write an essay on the subject matter. But you certainly have the wrong impression of the staffing in a average game studio.Additionally if you have animated objects it can be exported via obj file format for texturing ect, and fbx for the actually animation as an example. Both formats are basically industry standard. You won't find a program that doesn't support them, either both or one or the other.

There is texturing, 3d modeling, animation, rigging and then you have specialized artists, that only do prop or level design or character artist or weapon artist.

Well rounded artists has to be fluent in several 3d disciplines, not every one of them isn't required but the basics like texture, uvmapping, rigging modeling ect. Uv mapping as an example is an art form on it's own, while it certainly has improve a lot with automation in recent years there is still requirement a fair level of interaction, and still takes several years to master as with all disciplines within the 3D pipeline.

Why do most people do regardless of he often long hours and being paid peanuts. Because they actually enjoy it, having to use imagination and creativity in this field is actually quite rewarding, wouldn't trade me if you offered me a million dollar an month job.

Last edited:

cguy

Executive Member
However it seems to me you have it all wrong with regards to developers sure you get programmers and back end and front end support but majority of any team is made up 3D artists, animators, texture artists.
Yes, who aren't developers. So I'm not talking about them at all.
While a company prefers having a rounded 3D artist that is capable of doing 3D art, animation and 3d texturing, it isn't uncommon for a 3D artists to be able to do scripting as well.

The industry has shifted in the role requirement for the most part , "level designer" is an obsolete term and has been replaced with "3D artist" and generally has several roles.

"majority are responsible for exporting models to files" That is so far removed from the truth. Generally studio's make use of tools like autodesk 3d max and has pretty much every possible file export capability you can imagine, and because of the support of being able to run scripts as well as develop in house formats used with a specific engine even in house tools that specific export to the require model format.

"majority do not spend time exporting model files." Don't know where you get that from if you even seen the average 3D artist work flow you would know better. But to give you a quick example of the work flow I use.
Autodesk 3d max, photoshop/quixel plugin (PBR texturing tool). Pixplant (which allows generating seamless textures from images as required.) Fragmotion which allows quick editing of various little details, like deleting and fixing animation frames, exporting an assigning of animation frames. Quick texture assignment and general smaller details as needed.
Amazingly you quoted this twice, somehow got the second quote wrong, and then responded to it twice. :) I get the gist though. The bigger studios, however, have highly customized art pipelines and tools that require constant developer support.

The model is exported in obj format, which is supported by max, photoshop, and fragmotion and imported directly into engine, and the engine automatically converts to native supported format without further users interaction. So no majority do not spend time converting models.
You do realize that I didn't say that, right? I said "the majority are responsible for exporting models to files, game installation, credit card processing, managing subscriptions and identity, leaderboards, opponent pairing, packaging, secure logins, multi-language support, sound/control/display menu options, cut scene replay, or just general debugging."

That's a non-exhaustive list of exemplars, on which they spend their time.

Why do most people do regardless of he often long hours and being paid peanuts. Because they actually enjoy it, having to use imagination and creativity in this field is actually quite rewarding, wouldn't trade me if you offered me a million dollar an month job.
As scintillating as building one army bunker after the next may be, I promise you that if you can get a million dollar a month job, it would probably be a lot more exciting. :)

kolaval

Executive Member
Pity the company treats its employees like shet. Is this pure capitalism?
Please explain how you link that to pure capitalism?
e.g a government department treating workers like ****, also pure capitalism?