Activision Blizzard Sued Over ‘Frat Boy’ Culture, Harassment

Emjay

Honorary Master

Shortly after the news first broke, one male former Blizzard developer shared on Twitter that he had experienced sexual harassment from other men at the company (we have not recieved explicit permission to embed the Tweets prior to posting and so have have included them). This developer said the harassment included unwanted should rubbing, sex proposals, and conversations about sex acts in front of colleagues who stayed silent.

According to one former Blizzard developer, Cher Scarlett, the company’s “frat boy” culture also included senior managers engaging in “games” that involved groping male colleagues’ genitals. One of them was called “gay chicken” where “the first man to grab the others’ junk won,” they told Kotaku. They said they knew of at least three men who reported Blizzard to the DFEH, in part leading to the legal complaint for sexual assault and harassment.

Cray

Honorary Master
The major irony is of course.... women as a
Feminism ( and the new rebellious vhemently anti-Christian culture) created the climate making it possible and immature males did whatever was best for them.....
Shame, you must be gutted that your sub-servient wife-to-be has aspirations above her station..

Last edited:

Temujin

Honorary Master
iu

Gamers are the problem cos if they weren't working on games and patches for them then there wouldn't be employees and there wouldnt be anyone to sexually harass... you are sexually harassing people by wanting the content you paid for... shame on you gamers, do better

Of course didn't go down well on the twits and he has limited account

Last edited:

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
Agree on much and disagree on much.

Women are not sex objects in games. If you pay attention, women often are critical to the core storyline of many games. As a woman playing games, I have never felt objectified or that a character is being objectified. Anime culture on the other hand is quite overt in it however. It does not stop me from the enjoyment of it however. Woman are often revered in Anime, so it's weird one.

But this is veering off topic.
Do yourself a favour and don't engage with him. He's going to derail this thread with his puritanical Christian agenda.
Large companies have a tendency to sweep issues involving management and staff under the carpet. For them it's easier and cheaper to gaslight the lower level staff than to actually deal with the issue.

Without getting into too much detail; I found myself working in an extremely toxic environment and the entire staff used to shut up and took the abuse. About a month and a half of working there I managed to get the head office involved through unconventional means.

The long term staff were shocked at what I did and especially because the big bad manager basically couldn't do anything initially. A couple weeks later though he started giving me threats that he wants to sue me for defamation.

This led me to be transferred but the guy who replaced me also didn't take crap. His problem was that he was really aggressive and openly threatened the manager. Said manager had friends who were seniors at the police department, so they set my replacement up outside in the parking, a couple of the security staff ambushed him and beat the crap out of him and get this they (security and manager) claimed my replacement was the aggressor and he was taken into custody. Eventually all charges were dropped.

Now they wanted me back but I was like nope you can take this job and toss it. If I was going back to work for him this will literally turn into a national News story and I don't need that in my life.

Though my little incident did inspire a couple of the senior staff to revolt but I think those were initially squashed by HR but the manager did eventually get fired for some crooked dealings .

Last edited:

Temujin

Honorary Master
I used to hate this guy. Never understood what his fans saw in him. He certainly has been surprising me. Guess I was far too quick to judge.

Personally I wouldn't delete the npcs yet, wait for court obviously, and then I'd place them all in stockades etc with npcs(and players) throwing **** 24/7 at them for all eternity with name plates and what they are guilty of. Imo deleting em is just another 'lets try memory hole it' attempt

rambo919

Honorary Master
Shame, you must be gutted that your sub-servient wife-to-be has aspirations above her station..
You see, that's how I know you are a lefty..... for you everything is about power.

EDIT: thank you for also helping to prove my point btw. In response to me saying it was woman as a class encouraging the objectification of the female form as a way of freeing themselves from male domination that at least in part led to the slow normalization of sexual harassment..... you basically claim my intentions are to imprison woman to the kitchen.

Last edited:

prOd

Expert Member
I used to hate this guy. Never understood what his fans saw in him. He certainly has been surprising me. Guess I was far too quick to judge.

I also couldn't stand him at first but nowadays I find he can be very entertaining. I also appreciate that he does not take himself seriously, even as one of the biggest WoW streamers around. Not to mention with the more serious topics he always seem to talk sense.

Cray

Honorary Master
You see, that's how I know you are a lefty..... for you everything is about power.
If being concerned inequality of power marks me as a lefty then so be it...

EDIT: thank you for also helping to prove my point btw. In response to me saying it was woman as a class encouraging the objectification of the female form as a way of freeing themselves from male domination that at least in part led to the slow normalization of sexual harassment..... you basically claim my intentions are to imprison woman to the kitchen.
Oh noes!! I clearly got you all wrong, please clarify what a woman's role is according to Christian culture?

rambo919

Honorary Master
If being concerned about inequality of power marks me as a lefty then so be it...
Yes it does.... it really does. No one else obsesses over power that way.

Oh noes, I clearly got you all wrong, please clarify what a woman's role is according to Christian culture?
That is completely besides the point and you know it. Whatever the role is does not matter when the actions taken to "rectify" it are the real problem. At best you are defending making a bad problem even worse.

Cray

Honorary Master
That is completely besides the point and you know it. Whatever the role is does not matter when the actions taken to "rectify" it are the real problem. At best you are defending making a bad problem even worse.
Nope, people harassing a woman in the workplace is bad and we can take positive steps to stop it from happening in the future and we can punish those who do it. It doesn't mean we should all retreat back to the traditional Christian ideals of what women should be..

rambo919

Honorary Master
Nope, people harassing a woman in the workplace is bad and we can take positive steps to stop it from happening in the future and we can punish those who do it. It doesn't mean we should all retreat back to the traditional Christian ideals of what women should be..
Great..... except I never said that was the problem now did I?

Emjay

Honorary Master
iu

Gamers are the problem cos if they weren't working on games and patches for them then there wouldn't be employees and there wouldnt be anyone to sexually harass... you are sexually harassing people by wanting the content you paid for... shame on you gamers, do better

I saw this and was also taken aback. Preacher said something about it and he was not his usual self. There were some very choice words.

Starts at around 4:40.

Even Bellular has dropped his usual neutral coverage and went for the throat.

How the mighty fall.

rambo919

Honorary Master
Wait let me get this straight..... game companies have been fc-ing customers for years..... they have been fc-ing employees for years..... now everyone is so massively extra upset that the employees are fc-ing each other?

Is this not outrage culture to at least some degree? It's not as if an environment of self-centredness has not been out in the open for decades.

This will blow over and everyone will yet again forget about it and move on to the next outrage.... this will cost some people their jobs for the company to save face.... and then it will be memory holed except for once or twice when it makes a list of "shocking" incidents.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
iu

I see this type of mental gymnastics the whole time with the neo "progressive" crazies.

Also not much is lost if a WOW dev stops working.

buka001

Honorary Master
The women have been quiet because of the "take everything with a pinch of salt" attitude over the years - why would someone complain if they are the only one who had this experience? Often more people coming out shows them that they weren't crazy and that these dudes really are this bad.

From the articles it seems people tried to address the issues internally before it became public.
Exactly this.