Ad-blocking numbers for South Africa revealed

spiff

Executive Member
fork that china........:mad:

“Because the ad-blocking numbers are relatively low compared to other countries, this gives South African publishers and advertisers a head start to proactively tackle ad-blocking,” said Greg Mason, Sub-Saharan Africa Regional MD at Effective Measure.

I'll continue blocking ads till the day I die!!!!

in fact I'll encourage friends & family to install ad blocking software from now on!!!!

MickZA

Executive Member
Despite this, the research is positive for publishers and advertisers, with over 75% of South Africans citing that they’ve never used or don’t know what an ad-blocker is.
Because the IT dept prefers it that way :D

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

in fact I'll encourage friends & family to install ad blocking software from now on!!!!
1, 2, 3, unleash the paywalls!

EDIT: I'll always have YouTube ads on my Samsung telly.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
... the research is positive for publishers and advertisers, with over 75% of South Africans citing that they’ve never used or don’t know what an ad-blocker is.

My missus doesn't know what an ad-blocker is. But doesn't mean that she isn't benefiting from its presence in the browsers she uses at home.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
I sincerely mean it when I say I will go out of my way to avoid products featured in pop-up or humungous-banner ads.

spiff

Executive Member
1, 2, 3, unleash the paywalls!

EDIT: I'll always have YouTube ads on my Samsung telly.

unleash whatever you / they want - IDGAF - thankfully my life / entertainment, does not depend on the internet / dstv / radio or any other form of comunication / advertising - my entertainment comes on demand & ad free :)

Pitbull

Verboten
I actually even found one for Facebook called FB Purity.

Works amazingly well :)

VegOtter

I personally don't mind ads. I'm fully aware that things cost money and you benefit from a free service and all you have to do is deal with the odd ad here and there.

A good example is youtube. All those servers to store all that content must cost a fortune.
MyBroadband is another good example. Really good source of reading material, which is free due to ads.

Yes there are bad examples too, especially with phishing scam ads. Those really should be blocked by the browser by default.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
unleash whatever you / they want - IDGAF - thankfully my life / entertainment, does not depend on the internet / dstv / radio or any other form of comunication / advertising - my entertainment comes on demand & ad free :)
What about your news?

Thor

Honorary Master

Do you want to pay for a mybroadband subscription?

I 100% support ads. 100%

That does not mean I like how mybb places them, but I do understand it.

Example, my only real issue is the background ad. I get the appeal, but I do not like it it feels a bit overwhelming for me.

As for the rest, I will gladly tolerate it in turn for free access.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Effective Measure has released its Ad-Blocking in South Africa 2017 research report, which shows 13% of South African consumers currently use ad blockers.

Well, this is a survey asking people. Reality is completely different and based on my metrics, 27% of SA visitors use a content filter. 8% of people block Google Analytics or Google Tag Manager - those are pure technical measurements collated over 12 months (in January 2016 content filters where at 23%). Difficult to say if this is based on Adblockers installed on a browser or through network-filtering (i.e. pi-hole or others).

Let's wait and see how Effective Measure will tackle compliance requirements about dropping 3rd party cookies :)

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master

I don't just encourage, whenever someone asks for help with their home PC/laptop (happens more than I'd like) I just install Ublock Origin as part of the favour :D

Fro

I personally don't mind ads. I'm fully aware that things cost money and you benefit from a free service and all you have to do is deal with the odd ad here and there.

A good example is youtube. All those servers to store all that content must cost a fortune.
MyBroadband is another good example. Really good source of reading material, which is free due to ads.

HAHAHAHA

spiff

Executive Member
Do you want to pay for a mybroadband subscription?

I 100% support ads. 100%

That does not mean I like how mybb places them, but I do understand it.

Example, my only real issue is the background ad. I get the appeal, but I do not like it it feels a bit overwhelming for me.

As for the rest, I will gladly tolerate it in turn for free access.

in the beginning the internet was free of ads - hell even sms's were free - then the greedy bastards decided to cram ads down our throats - not going to happen on my side of the internet.
I'm sic of ads - get home and there are ads crambed in my post box - my regular mail gets dumped on the ground!! ads stuck on my windscreen!!

so much paper gets wasted with ads I'm surprised the tree huggers haven't put a stop to the waste yet?!! open up the Tygerburger news paper and you can condense the news into 5 pages - the 50 other pages are just for ads!!

I don't have a radio / no sabc tv / no Dumb Stupid tv. I just watch what I want to watch - free of ads - that's the way I like it, want it!

the ad people can cry / scream / shout or block me from their pages IDGAF!!

there is nothing the ad people can do, as there will always be someone smarter & 1 step ahead to get rid of the ads :)

Thor

Honorary Master
Propose an alternative, this is a business first and foremost this is how rpm puts food on his table and his employees and it doesn't cost you a thing.

WhoWhat

Yes there are bad examples too, especially with phishing scam ads. Those really should be blocked by the browser by default.

OMG seriously do your lips hurt from that much suck up?