Adding existing numbers to VOIP Phones and Servers?

GipsyD

I'm pretty fresh to the whole VOIP scene, so bear with me

The company I work for recently bought out a company that was no longer solvent. We bought out their entire office building. Now, this company used to work with VOIP Phones as their main way of communicating with customers and others on a daily basis. My CEO has elected to move to VOIP over LTE entirely, given that we have had issues with Telkom in recent weeks. The phones that I have on hand are Yealink VOIP Phones, I am not sure on the exact model that I have on hand.

We have a pretty beefy central server at the moment, and I am working on installing a SIP Server on the current OS (Windows Server 2012). Given from what I have read online, it appears that the central server would be the Switchboard for all of the VOIP Phones on the network.

The issue is not configuring the Server for VOIP, there are many guides online that can help you with this. The issue that I am facing is that I am not sure how to add our existing numbers to the phone server, so that we can receive and make calls on our existing numbers without having to re-register for new numbers. How would I go about doing this?

At the moment, I am using 3cx as the VOIP Median for my server and the VOIP Phones. But this can change if the need arises.

Thanks for viewing!

Clarotech

Clarotech representative
Company Rep
You will need to sign up for a SIP service from a VoIP provider which you then configure on the PBX. That will allow you to make outbound calls and receive calls on the number they assign to it from their number pool. If you want to retain your existing Telkom number you can port it to the provider. If you are testing the water then getting the trunk going before porting the number is probably a good idea.

GipsyD

Would setting up a private SIP Server be out of the question? Or would it be just be better to go with a Third Party SIP Provider like 3CX?

Thanks for the clear and to the point explanation @Clarotech

Clarotech

Clarotech representative
Company Rep
Nothing wrong with setting up your own server, just keep in mind that you become responsible for the upkeep thereof.

We've converted a number of customers from traditional on-premise PBX to hosted PBX services. All they need is phones and connectivity and we look after the rest.

AsteriskUser

Use a 3rd party cloud-based SIP provider, pro's way outweigh the con's. For example, if your office power does down, no worries switch to mobile phones. Security is a big thing, its all handled on their side. Too many people (especially if you are new to VoIP) leave holes in their network/asterisk configs which allows people to hack you and run up hundreds of thousands in international calls.

If I was you and I'm sure Clarotech will back me up here, if you using LTE, use ViBE which is almost like an SDWAN solution for voice. Bang in a ViBE and another LTE router on another network and get better call quality and better network resilience. Unless you are in a bad LTE coverage area, in that case, your only option is PRI which you don't really get anymore.

mycircls

Short answer is that your will need to signup with a SIP Trunk provider and port your current telephone number over from Telkom (I guess Telkom because most other service providers are on SIP).

You can get free flat rate high capacity SIP trunk service at Circls.co. You pay for calls only.

Disclaimer. I work for Circls.