Adobe gets back at Apple, HTC wants iPhone out of USA

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_files_a_complaint_against_apple_wants_iphone_out_of_usa-news-1654.php
Today HTC filed a complaint against Apple with the United States International Trade Commission. According to HTC, Apple has infringed five HTC patents and its law department insists on halting the importation and sales of the iPhone, iPod and iPad in the USA.

As usual halting the sales on a top product(s) is a standard request in these cases. It's interesting that HTC hasn't filed a law suit on that matter yet, it's just that complaint to the Trade Commission.

According to Gizmodo the five related patents are:
two for power management
two concerning personalized phone dialers
one over a phone dialer with easy memory access

As you may have heard, Apple is already suing HTC on patent matters. HTC has responded they are ready to meet in court. Whoever wins this, it won't be easy and surely it will take a while
http://blog.gsmarena.com/adobe-launches-an-ad-campaign-against-apple/

gsmarena_001.jpg
The genius of the Internet is its almost infinite openness to innovation. New hardware. New software. New applications. New ideas. They all get their chance.

As the founders of Adobe, we believe open markets are in the best interest of developers, content owners, and consumers. Freedom of choice on the web has unleashed an explosion of content and transformed how we work, learn, communicate, and, ultimately, express ourselves.

If the web fragments into closed systems, if companies put content and applications behind walls, some indeed may thrive — but their success will come at the expense of the very creativity and innovation that has made the Internet a revolutionary force.

We believe that consumers should be able to freely access their favorite content and applications, regardless of what computer they have, what browser they like, or what device suits their needs. No company — no matter how big or how creative — should dictate what you can create, how you create it, or what you can experience on the web.

When markets are open, anyone with a great idea has a chance to drive innovation and find new customers. Adobe’s business philosophy is based on a premise that, in an open market, the best products will win in the end — and the best way to compete is to create the best technology and innovate faster than your competitors.

That, certainly, was what we learned as we launched PostScript® and PDF, two early and powerful software solutions that work across platforms. We openly published the specifications for both, thus inviting both use and competition. In the early days, PostScript attracted 72 clone makers, but we held onto our market leadership by out-innovating the pack. More recently, we’ve done the same thing with Adobe® Flash® technology. We publish the specifications for Flash — meaning anyone can make their own Flash player. Yet, Adobe Flash technology remains the market leader because of the constant creativity and technical innovation of our employees.

We believe that Apple, by taking the opposite approach, has taken a step that could undermine this next chapter of the web — the chapter in which mobile devices outnumber computers, any individual can be a publisher, and content is accessed anywhere and at any time.

In the end, we believe the question is really this: Who controls the World Wide Web? And we believe the answer is: nobody — and everybody, but certainly not a single company.

Chuck Geschke, John Warnock
Cofounders
Chairmen, Adobe Board of Directors
gsmarena_002.jpg

francoislr

Expert Member
I saw a video of Android 2.2(FroYo) online last night, running flash on the phone...It is incredible! Just making Flash to be able to work on a phone meant that they made android about 400-500% faster, don't know the technicals, but it's there and will be announced before the end of the month by Google. Traditionally HTC has been the company that did not want to play ball, but now with Android, the ball is on the field, and there are players, but I don't see any apples in the game.

BobJones

Expert Member
Yep, that's why HTML5 is a true open web standard and Flash is not.

Rather get going on fixing the crappy performance of flash on OS X than whining like a bunch of old women over the fact that Apple has made a choice for their mobile devices, they just haven't chosen flash.

BobJones

Expert Member
I saw a video of Android 2.2(FroYo) online last night, running flash on the phone...It is incredible! Just making Flash to be able to work on a phone meant that they made android about 400-500% faster, don't know the technicals, but it's there and will be announced before the end of the month by Google. Traditionally HTC has been the company that did not want to play ball, but now with Android, the ball is on the field, and there are players, but I don't see any apples in the game.

Yeah, I saw that one too... it was pretty funny how flash caused the browser to crash just as the demonstrator was saying something snarky about the iPad.

subxero

Video proof, or it never happened! (Ahem! Youtube deleted the video... (must have violated their TOS))

Been over 2 years on OSX on a hackintosh (5 years on real macs). Have yet to have Firefox crash once due to Flash. Am I lucky? Or am I just missing out on something.... I have noted, though, that my temps in i-stat go from 31 degrees to almost 45 degrees on a Flash intensive site. (On my Hackintosh) Real Mac users will probably experience higher temps due to their restrictive form factor. Our work i-macs go from 50 - 70 degrees. No crashes though. Seems as though Apple are trying to solve their over-heating issues any which way they can. (ie. easiest way out)

Edit: More on Topic - Macbooks, I-Pods, I-Pads and I-phones are heat challenged by nature of the device design and the way the OS consumes power to run software like Flash. Read up on shattered I-phone and I-Pod screens due to overheating as a result of battery swelling (expansion from heat) - this, even without Flash. Apple are blaming 3rd party apps (from their app store) for this, claiming they are drawing too much power by making undue use of the processor - thus, straining the battery.

I think Flash usage just highlights the issue. Flash makes the processor actually use real power - causing heat generation from the processor combined with the battery overheating from actual power consumption - this heat generation in their small form factor devices is their undoing. (i-pads would be the most vulnerable) So... instead of solving the underlying issues.... outlaw Flash.

Last edited:

francoislr

Expert Member
Okay, if it's video proof you want, here is the page where the videos are....they seem to still work, so check it out. But apparently this is only officially launched later this month, maybe thats why the cover-up? That's what happens when you own youtube...you can cover stuff up;-)
http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/0...unning-on-a-nexus-one-with-android-2-2-froyo/

But subxero, as you said, this is an old problem, I remember all the stories and people complaining about their Macs (Macbooks in particular if I remember correctly) catching fire. So yeah, they are taking the easy way out...Apple=slackers regarding this.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Yeah, I saw that one too... it was pretty funny how flash caused the browser to crash just as the demonstrator was saying something snarky about the iPad.
That was quite funny, he also tried to cover it up later, saying he hit a "hidden" home button!

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
But subxero, as you said, this is an old problem, I remember all the stories and people complaining about their Macs (Macbooks in particular if I remember correctly) catching fire. So yeah, they are taking the easy way out...Apple=slackers regarding this.
They're not slackers, the iPhone and iPad have done just fine without Flash, now Adobe are all upset about that. Only now is Flash support for certain Android phones becoming available, on Snapdragons and ARM9 chips, the iPhone is almost 3 years old and most of them run a 400MHz ARM8, which just can't run Flash in it's current form.

And Adobe Flash 10.1 beta runs a lot better on Macs BTW, I can recommend that, or Google Chrome 5 beta for best Flash speed. Apple are actually working to improve Flash on OS X.

rorz0r

Executive Member
Hmmmm.... Wonder if Adobe gave HTC/Google an extra helping hand to get flash running nicely because of Apple...
And then published a video of it on youtube (owned by Google) which uses Flash.

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
Hmmmm.... Wonder if Adobe gave HTC/Google an extra helping hand to get flash running nicely because of Apple...
And then published a video of it on youtube (owned by Google) which uses Flash.

presumably. clearly adobe needs friends right now and google needs vendors to support VP8 in the upcoming codec wars.
interesting point about the overheating. apple seems to generally try to cram as much tech into as small a form factor as possible.
what do consumers want? well, why not support both? well done to google for giving the consumer the choice.
i'm so gatvol of these patent wars. please let's all just move on. rather gain market share by producing more innovative affordable products than trying to litigate your way to the top.

Last edited:

rorz0r

Executive Member
The Desire is thinner than the iPhone, has a 1ghz vs 400mhz cpu and runs flash just fine. No heat problems so far. Gets fairly warm when charging but nothing worrying.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Actually, CPU speed is irrelevant here because they are not running the same OS. If they did then CPU speed would be relevant. For example, Symbian flies on 433mhz processor since it is a highly optimized mobile OS - some of the newer Symbian phones "only" uses a 600mhz CPU but the responsiveness can beat other devices on 1ghz snapdragons running, say, Windows Mobile.

cerebus

Honorary Master
*smashes head repeatedly on desk*

stop...........talking.............................about...........................SYMBIAN

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Nothing wrong with flash lite, been on Series40 and Series60 (see I manged not so say Symbian) devices for ages now and works just fine. Even on 300mhz devices.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Symbian is primitive compared to iPhone OS, or even Android. Why do you think iPhone has 200 thousand apps? It's got a sophisticated OS with awesome & modern API's that's why.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
The iPhone only has 200k apps of which most users install 2 or 20 on their iphone. Symbian has an internet full of apps. The iphones uses inferior hardware compared to symbian devices and needs to be jailbroken before it becomes remotely useful. Therefore you cannot call symbian primitive compared against the iphone. Appletude is a serious illness and you seem to suffer from it.