• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Adsense Guide for South African Dummies by A Dummy

airborne

Executive Member
Can anyone recommend a good platform to make a monitized blog/website. I just want to buy a website template/hosting/domain registration, from a company that's not fly by night and not overly expensive. A few hundred rand a year would be a good start, not sure if that's a feasible rate or not?

I like fiddling/fixing/taking shcit apart and quite often there is very little good info on the web for a particular item and if there is then I'm grateful for the guys that post pics and info up.
So I want to post little tear down and repair articles and then have ads on the page to monetize it. Then I leave the page and let it bring in a small revenue stream each year, I envisage as the amount of pages increases the yearly return will slowly grow.

The content won't grow old because it's fresh content for anyone that tries to open/repair that item any time in the future. Before the naysayers rock up, yes it's not going to make me rich but I feel the need to give back some info to the Internet that has given me so much and might as well make some money out of it while I am about it.

SBSP

Can anyone recommend a good platform to make a monitized blog/website. I just want to buy a website template/hosting/domain registration, from a company that's not fly by night and not overly expensive. A few hundred rand a year would be a good start, not sure if that's a feasible rate or not?

I like fiddling/fixing/taking shcit apart and quite often there is very little good info on the web for a particular item and if there is then I'm grateful for the guys that post pics and info up.
So I want to post little tear down and repair articles and then have ads on the page to monetize it. Then I leave the page and let it bring in a small revenue stream each year, I envisage as the amount of pages increases the yearly return will slowly grow.

The content won't grow old because it's fresh content for anyone that tries to open/repair that item any time in the future. Before the naysayers rock up, yes it's not going to make me rich but I feel the need to give back some info to the Internet that has given me so much and might as well make some money out of it while I am about it.
You already have the most important part covered. Sounds like you have worth the while content that will keep it going.

Not sure what you mean by "fly by night"
I'm using Afrihost's Bronze Pro https://www.afrihost.com/site/product/linux_hosting for R65 a month (780 a year), I used have their Silver home package for R29 a month and as I out grew it I simply upgraded it without any downtime at all they just up your allowed space and database count. Directly from their Cpanel you can install Wordpress and within wordpress you can download website templates. Some are free and some are paid for. In my case I'm using a free blog laid out template. I make about R1000 a year with adds along with some revenue from my Youtube videos. I only have 6 Blog posts and 15 Youtube videos. There is so much I want to add but don't have the time.

Not too bad for minimal effort and the love of sharing howto's

Hopefully it gives you an indication.
Cheers!

airborne

Executive Member
You already have the most important part covered. Sounds like you have worth the while content that will keep it going.

Not sure what you mean by "fly by night"
I'm using Afrihost's Bronze Pro https://www.afrihost.com/site/product/linux_hosting for R65 a month (780 a year), I used have their Silver home package for R29 a month and as I out grew it I simply upgraded it without any downtime at all they just up your allowed space and database count. Directly from their Cpanel you can install Wordpress and within wordpress you can download website templates. Some are free and some are paid for. In my case I'm using a free blog laid out template. I make about R1000 a year with adds along with some revenue from my Youtube videos. I only have 6 Blog posts and 15 Youtube videos. There is so much I want to add but don't have the time.

Not too bad for minimal effort and the love of sharing howto's

Hopefully it gives you an indication.
Cheers!
Thanks SBSP, that's just the kind of info I'm looking for. For all their drawbacks Afrihost have by and large given me great service in the past and their web portal works really well.

What kind of bandwidth does your blog generally use each month?

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Thanks SBSP, that's just the kind of info I'm looking for. For all their drawbacks Afrihost have by and large given me great service in the past and their web portal works really well.

Don't go with Afrihost, they're possibly the worst host available. I'm sure Thor can make a better recommendation for WordPress hosting.

NullHypothesis

how are you able to make this much?
If its an internationally focused site that gets US/EU clicks its not that much in the bigger scheme of things. It also depends on how heavily geared the advertising expenditure is. The correct question to ask is: "How much are you spending to make this much?".

SBSP

NP, But I don't recommend Afrihost though, Their interface allowing you manage your account works a charm. The rest isnt great. Recently my website was down for about 4 days or so. Loads super slow sometimes. I also have 3 servers in their data center. Looks old on the inside, When visiting them their technicians take long to arrive. Security isn't good. One of their other customers using the same rack as mine unplugged one of my server's network cables. They provided me with 2 IPs for each server, one of them does not work, I'm actually able to ping it whilst I dont have anything connected to it. Guess they double allocated an IP to me or something.

I'm in the process of finding a different provider.

Lastly be aware of one man band Hosting re-sellers, they screw you over and close your account even if you paid and tend not to reply when they messed up.

Thor

Honorary Master
NP, But I don't recommend Afrihost though, Their interface allowing you manage your account works a charm. The rest isnt great. Recently my website was down for about 4 days or so. Loads super slow sometimes. I also have 3 servers in their data center. Looks old on the inside, When visiting them their technicians take long to arrive. Security isn't good. One of their other customers using the same rack as mine unplugged one of my server's network cables. They provided me with 2 IPs for each server, one of them does not work, I'm actually able to ping it whilst I dont have anything connected to it. Guess they double allocated an IP to me or something.

I'm in the process of finding a different provider.

Lastly be aware of one man band Hosting re-sellers, they screw you over and close your account even if you paid and tend not to reply when they messed up.
Sounds exactly like afrihost.

airborne

Executive Member
If its an internationally focused site that gets US/EU clicks its not that much in the bigger scheme of things. It also depends on how heavily geared the advertising expenditure is. The correct question to ask is: "How much are you spending to make this much?".
Advertising, meaning your spend on advertising promoting the website to generate more traffic?
Sounds exactly like afrihost.
Any ideas other than Afrihost, what's Hertzner like?

Last edited:

Thor

Honorary Master
Advertising, meaning your advertising spend promoting your website to generate more traffic?

Any ideas other than Afrihost, what's Hertzner like?
I've been with the lot and domains.co.za is my recommendation. One nice thing on Hetzer is those let's encrypt certificates, but it's not enough to let me jump from domains.

airborne

Executive Member
I've been with the lot and domains.co.za is my recommendation. One nice thing on Hetzer is those let's encrypt certificates, but it's not enough to let me jump from domains.
How is the domains web interface, is it noob friendly?

I can't currently deal with interfaces geared towards web developer type users. I need choose the bandwidth, point towards domain of choice(or purchase that at the same time), choose template, paste content, upload content, done.

Thor

Honorary Master
How is the domains web interface, is it noob friendly?

I can't currently deal with interfaces geared towards web developer type users. I need choose the bandwidth, point towards domain of choice(or purchase that at the same time), choose template, paste content, upload content, done.
Their "clientzone" is very neat if you use the domains reseller package that I have its quite amazing.

Then I have the reseller hosting which is the standard WHM/Cpanel which you should be familiar with so basically you'll ftp stuff most of the time using the familiar Filezilla.

Then I have a few VPSes with them their cloud manage interface is really sweet, but again you'll spend so little time in there since once it's set up its set up their stuff doesn't break.

3lOH55A

Expert Member
Any hosting provider that runs CPanel can now offer free SSL certificates directly through CPanel, not let's encrypt. Most of them don't though $$$

Thor

Honorary Master
Any hosting provider that runs CPanel can now offer free SSL certificates directly through CPanel, not let's encrypt. Most of them don't though $$$
Let's encrypt is the cpanel add on correct.

Domains VPS + WHM + Let's encrypt add on.

Last edited:

airborne

Executive Member
Let's encrypt is the cpanel add on correct.

Domains VPS + WHM + Let's encrypt add on.
Though thats the kind of technical stuff I don't want to deal with, just don't have the time.

Or is there no way around that, what level of knowledge will I need to run the kind of site I'm looking to make?

Thor

Honorary Master
Though thats the kind of technical stuff I don't want to deal with, just don't have the time.

Or is there no way around that, what level of knowledge will I need to run the kind of site I'm looking to make?
None.

WHM is piss easy.

Thor

Honorary Master
No. CPanel now offers their own SSL certificates.
Literally every domain hosted on your server will be ssl secured. The admin of the server only needs to switch one button to enable it.

https://blog.cpanel.com/securing-your-site-comodo-cpanel-autossl/
Pretty neat was not aware they did this with commodo.

This works for the end user the same as the WHM let's encrypt plugin thou it's also ssl by default on all hosted sites for that WHM instance.