• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

ADSL+2 Upload Speeds

ST4TiK

Hi All,

I recently found an article on Facebook written by MyBroadband on the 7th of December detailing the new ADSL+2 upload speeds.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/241082-openserve-adsl-and-vdsl-upload-speeds-and-prices.html

I have a 40meg line and I am less than 500m from the exchange. I have been trying for the better part of 2 weeks to have my upload increased to 10meg with no success. I just had an Openserve technician here, and neither him nor his office know about these increased upload speeds.

Is there anybody here who has had any success with increasing their speeds?

Cowboy619

Hi All,

I recently found an article on Facebook written by MyBroadband on the 7th of December detailing the new ADSL+2 upload speeds.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/241082-openserve-adsl-and-vdsl-upload-speeds-and-prices.html

I have a 40meg line and I am less than 500m from the exchange. I have been trying for the better part of 2 weeks to have my upload increased to 10meg with no success. I just had an Openserve technician here, and neither him nor his office know about these increased upload speeds.

Is there anybody here who has had any success with increasing their speeds?
You need to upgrade to VDSL in order to get your 10mb upload. ADSL 2+ only gives you 1MB

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You need to switch to VDSL.

But that's weird because I'm sure 20MB was the limit for ADSL after which they forced VDSL.

Saajid

Expert Member
Firstly, make sure you have a VDSL line (not ADSL), and a VDSL router. Just to get the noob errors out of the way up front.

Tell us what router you have, and find the line stats page, and post your line stats here. Looking for things like attenuation, SNR, current sync, max sync, etc. This will tell us how close you are to the exchange and/or how good the copper line is.

You also need to check the DSL profile settings on the router, and enable all the VDSL profiles. This page will have things listed like G.dmt, ADSL, ADSL2+, VDSL, etc... Take a screenshot of this page and post it here as well.

Saajid

Expert Member
OK I have a slightly different D-Link router - DSL-224. User interface looks similar. Your line stats look good, and you should be able to get get that 10mbps upload. You need to enable all the different VDSL profiles. I think the main one is AnnexB / 17a. See screenshots below:

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

Thereafter, reboot your modem. If it doesn't take effect, phone Telkom or your ISP (if you migrated your line to an ISP) and ask them to do a port reset.

Last edited:

Saajid

Expert Member
Not sure what you second screenshot is about. But otherwise everything else checks out. Your line stats are good and your settings seem to be correct. You might just need to ask Telkom to do a port reset.

And if that doesn't work, perhaps the MSAN/exchange that your line is connected doesn't have the 10mbps upload profile enabled on it.

ST4TiK

This was my concern because the Openserve technician had never heard of VDSL 40 meg having 10meg upload. Is there anything specific I can ask them to do? I know the exchange is new and that is should support the speeds.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
OK I have a slightly different D-Link router - DSL-224. User interface looks similar. Your line stats look good, and you should be able to get get that 10mbps upload. You need to enable all the different VDSL profiles. I think the main one is AnnexB / 17a. See screenshots below:
Thereafter, reboot your modem. If it doesn't take effect, phone Telkom or your ISP (if you migrated your line to an ISP) and ask them to do a port reset.
Have you seen a case where someone who can get 40Mbps down can't get the full 10Mbps up? Me neither.

This was my concern because the Openserve technician had never heard of VDSL 40 meg having 10meg upload. Is there anything specific I can ask them to do? I know the exchange is new and that is should support the speeds.
Message them on twitter and/or PM [MENTION=258937]TelkomZA[/MENTION]