ADSL, 3G on the same bill mean savings of 20%

Well, ironically the main advantage to this may lie in the fact that it's extremely anti-competitive. Nobody else is capable (legally) of offering converged services. Hence, this may actually speed up LLU (as long as all the mobile companies and ISPs complain to the competition commission)
Meanwhile, all those savings and improvements but they still couldn't resist adding in that stupid double fixed line fee. Good deals, but I'd give it a miss just on principle. Telkom will continue to get as little of my money as possible.
Also, didn't see a mention of adsl connection speed anywhere, so I'm assuming the ADSL line portion is not included in those prices. Thanks for pointing that out (not) there guys.

Must admit the prospect of getting adsl and 3g on one bill is appealing. Will appeal to many...:banghead:

I want a truly converged service... no separation between fixed and mobile calls/data. If I read correctly it is on its way.

All good and well, but can you come install that ADSL line you promised over 2 years ago? Extending the date of delivery EVERY SINGLE TIME by 3 months incrementally, so you might be doing a good job to others Nombulelo “Pinky” Moholi, but I'm just not seeing it :(

"The launch of three fixed-mobile packages for business customers, with more than two dozen packages on the way,..."

27 different packages? :confused:

Well, ironically the main advantage to this may lie in the fact that it's extremely anti-competitive.

Not really. Neotel has a network that can offer these services and so does MTN and Vodacom with their Fibre cables. How can it be anti-competitive when the other networks have licenses and also the capacity to offer the services.

so many stakeholders (I hate that word)
i lol'd

I want a truly converged service... no separation between fixed and mobile calls/data. If I read correctly it is on its way.

Last I heard ICASA blocked those services. But maybe times have changed. I would also like it if there is no distinction. Then I can have a proper fail-over service.

Last I heard ICASA blocked those services. But maybe times have changed. I would also like it if there is no distinction. Then I can have a proper fail-over service.
+1. Convergence please. It's about time we stopped getting ripped off (read: raped) so badly for mobile data

Meanwhile, all those savings and improvements but they still couldn't resist adding in that stupid double fixed line fee. Good deals, but I'd give it a miss just on principle. Telkom will continue to get as little of my money as possible.

Exactly, while a very small part of me want to believe in the resurrection of Telkom, how do they expect me to want to volunteer for more butthurt if they cannot even deliver a stable base product (ADSL line) to me.

Last edited:
Not really. Neotel has a network that can offer these services and so does MTN and Vodacom with their Fibre cables. How can it be anti-competitive when the other networks have licenses and also the capacity to offer the services.

PLEASE. None of these has a last-mile fixed line network (and aren't legally allowed to build one), and that's where a lot of Telkom's competitive advantage lies. Why do you think we're all crying about LLU all the time? This is blatant abuse of their monopolistic position. (I think you're right about Neotel though, they're probably at least legally capable of putting in a last-mile network, but they obviously can't afford it.)
As for fibre, you're joking right? You expect ppl to start putting in FTTH to compete with Telkom's already in place network?

PLEASE. None of these has a last-mile fixed line network (and aren't legally allowed to build one), and that's where a lot of Telkom's competitive advantage lies. Why do you think we're all crying about LLU all the time? This is blatant abuse of their monopolistic position. (I think you're right about Neotel though, they're probably at least legally capable of putting in a last-mile network, but they obviously can't afford it.)
As for fibre, you're joking right? You expect ppl to start putting in FTTH to compete with Telkom's already in place network?

Wrong. Anyone of the plenty licensed network operators can build their own last network. Rather ask the question why they are building their own networks.

Wrong. Anyone of the plenty licensed network operators can build their own last network. Rather ask the question why they are building their own networks.

Well then why do we need local loop unbundling?

Well then why do we need local loop unbundling?

Cost. It is very expensive to roll out a new last-mile wired network country-wide, which will lead to higher subscriber prices to subsidise this. The cheapest way forward for the consumer is LLU.

Of course, if fibre is being rolled out it is just as expensive for Telkom as everyone else, so there may be a market for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_monopoly

Cost. It is very expensive to roll out a new last-mile wired network country-wide, which will lead to higher subscriber prices to subsidise this. The cheapest way forward for the consumer is LLU.

Of course, if fibre is being rolled out it is just as expensive for Telkom as everyone else, so there may be a market for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_monopoly

So my point is still very much valid. Thanks. (OK, I was wrong about the legality issue, but that doesn't change the fact that Telkom have a monopoly on the last mile, allowing only them to offer this service)

Back