jes

MyBroadband Alumnus
Reminded me of this :p

[video=youtube;_O1hM-k3aUY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O1hM-k3aUY[/video]

MickeyD

RIP
So? Firstly these cuts are due to the CC settlement, so Telkom were forced to do it.

Secondly, if these services were so profitable and cheap to provide then why don't the whingers build their own or go the facilities leasing route and compete?

rico112

So? Firstly these cuts are due to the CC settlement, so Telkom were forced to do it.

Secondly, if these services were so profitable and cheap to provide then why don't the whingers build their own or go the facilities leasing route and compete?

+1 bunch of moaners. Mobile is the way to go !

abandonallhope

Expert Member

When are you gonna grow up ?

Xzib1t

Expert Member
Hershaw said that in all likelihood Mweb will use the savings on IPC costs to buy additional IPC capacity. There is a smaller possibility that they might adjust pricing on some of their high-end products, Hershaw said.

No, the savings will go to the Shareholders of Naspers, thus to avoid having to buy additional capacity anyone displaying faint signs of "abuse" will be throttled.

MickeyD

RIP
When are you gonna grow up ?
When you wake up and smell the roses - take off your blinkers...

For fixed line broadband to flourish in this country we need more than one network operator. Having all companies reliant on one network operator has not worked anywhere in the world. The vultures are circling while waiting for DoC/ICASA to finalise LLU regulations, but that will not solve the problems as experienced by the majority of broadband users in this country.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Am I the only one who cringes every time I see that crooked smile photo of Laurie Fialkov?

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
the only way IPConnect costs can really come down is if there is significantly more investment in the overall network ecosystem coming from ISPs other than Telkom.

abandonallhope

Expert Member
When you wake up and smell the roses - take off your blinkers...

For fixed line broadband to flourish in this country we need more than one network operator. Having all companies reliant on one network operator has not worked anywhere in the world. The vultures are circling while waiting for DoC/ICASA to finalise LLU regulations, but that will not solve the problems as experienced by the majority of broadband users in this country.

The biggest share of the ISP's bundle deals is the ADSL line + analogue line rental, the ISP access part is already being squeezed for all it's worth. Even if they leased facilities from another provider, telkom still gets to rape us via the abovementioned. What are you going to do about that without getting bogged down indefinitely by Telkom/government/ICASA ?

You know I don't even mind the total cost p/m of ADSL anymore, I just want decent speed. I just want a fixed line from which I can access SA's internet infrastructure faster than what I am able to from a 3G connection, or from an overseas connection. Even though Telkom are apparently rolling out MSAN's, notwithstanding the fact that its long, long overdue, it has and still is taking forever and a day. So atm their last mile access infrastructure is a total ****up , so many people complain about their congested exchanges, and just to get a ****ty line installed at your residence, without even being able to access the internet, is charged at premium rates.

No matter which way you spin it bro, Telkom's last mile is still shyte.

So no. I most certainly don't have any blinkers on.

MickeyD

RIP
The biggest share of the ISP's bundle deals is the ADSL line + analogue line rental, the ISP access part is already being squeezed for all it's worth. Even if they leased facilities from another provider, telkom still gets to rape us via the abovementioned. What are you going to do about that without getting bogged down indefinitely by Telkom/government/ICASA ?

You know I don't even mind the total cost p/m of ADSL anymore, I just want decent speed. I just want a fixed line from which I can access SA's internet infrastructure faster than what I am able to from a 3G connection, or from an overseas connection. Even though Telkom are apparently rolling out MSAN's, notwithstanding the fact that its long, long overdue, it has and still is taking forever and a day. So atm their last mile access infrastructure is a total ****up , so many people complain about their congested exchanges, and just to get a ****ty line installed at your residence, without even being able to access the internet, is charged at premium rates.

No matter which way you spin it bro, Telkom's last mile is still shyte.

So no. I most certainly don't have any blinkers on.
Re-read my reply that you quoted.

Why are you fixated on only having a single fixed line network operator?

abandonallhope

Expert Member

So LLU is actually something you bargain on ? In Africa ?

Or do you actually want ISP's to build their own last mile access network ? Like it's just something you can get going overnight ?

It would be great to have more than 1 physical network operator, but it is technically not a requirement to have decent broadband.

km2

Expert Member

How do you make a business case to run your own last mile when LLU is always "imminent"? Having this nebulous LLU that is always "a year" away is a huge disincentive, no sane investor will pay to build a parallel network when the need for it is about to disappear. The times you end up with multiple last mile options is when it's competing access technologies (ADSL vs cable vs fibre vs wireless etc), but that's not the issue here.

MickeyD

RIP
How do you make a business case to run your own last mile when LLU is always "imminent"? Having this nebulous LLU that is always "a year" away is a huge disincentive, no sane investor will pay to build a parallel network when the need for it is about to disappear. The times you end up with multiple last mile options is when it's competing access technologies (ADSL vs cable vs fibre vs wireless etc), but that's not the issue here.
It would make sense in high revenue or densely populated areas (eg areas with high concentration of security complexes or businesses) where there is currently either no or very limited cable infrastructure. LLU is not the golden bullet for us consumers wanting cheaper broadband. The draft LLU paper does not inspire confidence.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
So LLU is actually something you bargain on ? In Africa ?

Or do you actually want ISP's to build their own last mile access network ? Like it's just something you can get going overnight ?

It would be great to have more than 1 physical network operator, but it is technically not a requirement to have decent broadband.

Actually multiple operators in a network environment is a requirement for decent broadband - matters of redundancy and the normal operation of the market.

Nothing is stopping the IECNS providers from building their own last mile network and even less is stopping them from using mandatory facilities leasing to ensure LLU save for the fact that so long as Telkom is the pinata for broadband and the regulatory environment provides for the MNOs to feast at the expense of fixed line all is good.

eyc

Are you suggesting the likes of Afrihost must start trenching copper/fibre to every doorstep in SA ?
Actually multiple operators in a network environment is a requirement for decent broadband - matters of redundancy and the normal operation of the market.

Nothing is stopping the IECNS providers from building their own last mile network and even less is stopping them from using mandatory facilities leasing to ensure LLU save for the fact that so long as Telkom is the pinata for broadband and the regulatory environment provides for the MNOs to feast at the expense of fixed line all is good.