ADSL IPC price cuts are going ahead next week

Roadrunner

Expert Member
Makes sense that RPM could be playing us for April fools today, seeing as the 1st falls on a weekend day and the majority of people won't be at the office to read his joke then.

Playing April fools on the 2nd would be just sad.

Wimbo

Oh, Ye of little Failth

What gave it away for me was the dates .. no not the obvious first of April but this
Results the very next day? Think about it, when have Icasa ever delivered on any of their deadlines on time?
You're being taken for April fools :p

Read the Press Release before you slag off ICASA yet again.

I really hope not, I must say its very sudden for something this big - I can't believe the ISPs are getting a price reduction with one day lead and on a Sunday. Do you think Telkom chose this date to mess with everyone?

Nope. ICASA chose the date, and announced it back on the 30th November 2011. Remember that?

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
What about Adsl line rental price decrease ?

Perhaps a good marketing stunt for larger ISP's with 'All-in-one-bundles' would be to use the saving towards the DSL access portion of their current offerings.

Thus getting more subscribers to loyally subscribe. And in so doing still generate enough traffic to cover their current unused capacity. That along with all of the free peering that's arising, would be a promising step forward. Yes, I'm talking to you MWEB, Afrihost and WebAfrica about your uncapped packages ;)

Innovation and stern regulation is what the consumer needs.

marine1

Honorary Master
Sop now when will the consumer see the rice decrease? :rolleyes:
Probably never

MickeyD

RIP
When Chinese takeaway food becomes even more popular?
Which is why I'm puzzled by some remarks/comments that the ISPs should not drop costs. If the large ISPs were running at a loss then it could be semi-believable, but they are all profitable. Hence my comment about the ISPs now backing up their statements about IPC preventing cheap broadband and dropping prices ASAP.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Which is why I'm puzzled by some remarks/comments that the ISPs should not drop costs. If the large ISPs were running at a loss then it could be semi-believable, but they are all profitable. Hence my comment about the ISPs now backing up their statements about IPC preventing cheap broadband and dropping prices ASAP.

Market forces: what you are seeing is forumites making those comments are happy with the price they are paying their ISP and would prefer that their ISP invests in more IPC bandwidth + reduced shaping for the same retail price, they are not happy with Telkom's double line rental which is where they want a major price reduction.

markings

Expert Member
Mweb currently pay R12million, so a 30% decrease will see a saving of R3.6million for Mweb....

So in theory they could add capacity for the R3.6million and lesser shaping on their products or lower the price of their unshaped accounts or allow us to utilize more than 500gig's a month on the shaped uncapped accounts?
Are the uncapped accounts not already living off the fat the capped products produce and you still want more?
More is never enough, right?

MickeyD

RIP
Market forces: what you are seeing is forumites making those comments are happy with the price they are paying their ISP and would prefer that their ISP invests in more IPC bandwidth + reduced shaping for the same retail price, they are not happy with Telkom's double line rental which is where they want a major price reduction.

I want a double reduction....

j4ck455

Executive Member
I want a double reduction....

Considering how many times over everyone pays Telkom every month for the same two pieces of copper wire, I think a double reduction in line rental is not too much to ask for :p

Knock some Naked ADSL sense into those Telkom managers.

Bern

Expert Member
Read the Press Release before you slag off ICASA yet again.

Nope. ICASA chose the date, and announced it back on the 30th November 2011. Remember that?

Actually I did forget with all the confusion around what they were doing with Telkom- glad this means it is likely to be serious:)
rpm, you should contact the relevant ISPs and ask them to comment.

+1 - an article with a comment from each and a table of what changes in service and price they are going to implement would be great.

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
well done to ICASA and their Markets and Competition Division in particular - this has been the subject of fairly intense negotiation which has been ongoing for some time and the reduction is by agreement between ICASA and Telkom

+ they have delivered on deadline 0.o. I shall have to go and lie down.

MickeyD

RIP
well done to ICASA and their Markets and Competition Division in particular - this has been the subject of fairly intense negotiation which has been ongoing for some time and the reduction is by agreement between ICASA and Telkom

+ they have delivered on deadline 0.o. I shall have to go and lie down.
Before you know it you'll be out of business :p

waroop

Afristay.com CEO Rupert Bryant
Company Rep
That sounds like good news. What % of bandwidth does IPC account for?
About 70% (more here http://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/41847-the-truth-about-adsl-costs-in-sa.html). IPC costs about R2000 per 1mbit (excl vat). International is about R700 per 1 mbit (excl vat). So even after this reduction IPC will go to about R1400 (if its truly coming down by 30% which is still not totally confirmed) - leaves it still at double the price of International.

If this reduction comes to fruition then kudo's to ICASA and Telkom for coming to the party. This is a great step in the right direction, and a really massive improvement for SA broadband. Expect some exciting products from WA shortly :)

Last edited: