ADSL IPC price cuts are going ahead next week

Bern

Expert Member
About 70% (more here http://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/41847-the-truth-about-adsl-costs-in-sa.html). IPC costs about R2000 per 1mbit (excl vat). International is about R700 per 1 mbit (excl vat). So even after this reduction IPC will go to about R1400 (if its truly coming down by 30% which is still not totally confirmed) - leaves it still at double the price of International.

If this reduction comes to fruition then kudo's to ICASA and Telkom for coming to the party. This is a great step in the right direction, and a really massive improvement for SA broadband. Expect some exciting products from WA shortly :)

I don't get this, Rupert you own an ISP, yet you have still not been informed about any of these changes - I am glad ICASA seems to have stuck to a target, but surely there is a huge issue here with Telkom not providing you as their client with the relevant information on the price reduction? Are they just going to send you a bill at the end of April with the revised pricing?? Seems pretty strange all in all.

On the above pricing - so an uncontended 1Mbps ADSL service (excluding Telephone and line rental) would be R2000 (IPC) + R700 (international) and then some overheads for equipment and management from the ISP - is that about right?

jackshiels

Expert Member
About 70% (more here http://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/41847-the-truth-about-adsl-costs-in-sa.html). IPC costs about R2000 per 1mbit (excl vat). International is about R700 per 1 mbit (excl vat). So even after this reduction IPC will go to about R1400 (if its truly coming down by 30% which is still not totally confirmed) - leaves it still at double the price of International.

If this reduction comes to fruition then kudo's to ICASA and Telkom for coming to the party. This is a great step in the right direction, and a really massive improvement for SA broadband. Expect some exciting products from WA shortly :)

Is that R133 IPC a flat rate or percentage based? I really would love to see some of the higher data packages (30-50GB) come down in price in the industry, as they are simply too expensive.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
Well here's hoping further reductions happen in november with bitstream. Obviously R700 or less per mbit is the target, i wonder how long it'll take to get it down to that?

Last edited:

MickeyD

RIP
Old: IPC + Int = (2000 + 700) = R2700
New: IPC + Int = (1400 + 700) = R2100

Possible saving of R600 or 22%.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
All I care about is cheap ADSL line rental. R413 -> way too much.

I'm finding R289 for 1mbps line a hard pill to swallow. Line speed should not be a determining factor in DSL access IMO.

Anyway, was looking at going uncapped at the end of April. So good timing for me to see what happens in the next month wrt to any new pricing from ISP's.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
All I care about is cheap ADSL line rental. R413 -> way too much.

There is talk of a speed bump happening soon, which is effectively a price reduction if you downgrade. 384kbps should get bumped up to 1meg, which basically means 1meg line rental will be reduced to less than R200. But then again, Telkom might consider a jump to 512kbps an upgrade. ;)

Realistically, in the short term i'd like to see:

1meg = R150
4meg = R250
10meg =R350

Last edited:

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
I'm finding R289 for 1mbps line a hard pill to swallow. Line speed should not be a determining factor in DSL access IMO.

Anyway, was looking at going uncapped at the end of April. So good timing for me to see what happens in the next month wrt to any new pricing from ISP's.

Yeah coz telkom's backhaul too the dslam is free and has infinite capacity :/

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
There is talk of a speed bump happening soon, which is effectively a price reduction if you downgrade. 384kbps should get bumped up to 1meg, which basically means 1meg line rental will be reduced to less than R200. But then again, Telkom might consider a jump to 512kbps an upgrade. ;)

Realistically, in the short term i'd like to see:

1meg = R150
2meg = R250
10meg =R350

I'd prefer a 4th package gets introduced so that 4meg becomes 350 and 10meg gets it's own price at 450.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Which is why I'm puzzled by some remarks/comments that the ISPs should not drop costs. If the large ISPs were running at a loss then it could be semi-believable, but they are all profitable. Hence my comment about the ISPs now backing up their statements about IPC preventing cheap broadband and dropping prices ASAP.

I'd MUCH prefer a better quality uncapped account that's actually usable during the day than cheaper prices.

MickeyD

RIP
I'd MUCH prefer a better quality uncapped account that's actually usable during the day than cheaper prices.
My uncapped account flies during the day...

As Matthew Tagg told us at a MyBB conference "if you want cheap and nasty, you'll get cheap and nasty".

If you want an account that performs better during daylight hours, choose another package.

waroop

Afristay.com CEO Rupert Bryant
Company Rep
Thanks guys - noted, will take this feedback to our next product development session for sure!

Necuno

Court Jester
My uncapped account flies during the day...

As Matthew Tagg told us at a MyBB conference "if you want cheap and nasty, you'll get cheap and nasty".

If you want an account that performs better during daylight hours, choose another package.

20110411-bdbyn47r786akc4e5yscxqxxc4.jpg

..."we present rolling windows"

waroop

Afristay.com CEO Rupert Bryant
Company Rep
Surely there is a huge issue here with Telkom not providing you as their client with the relevant information on the price reduction? Are they just going to send you a bill at the end of April with the revised pricing?? Seems pretty strange all in all.
They will most likely announce on 2nd of April what the plans are, and give a date for when the new cost is effective, but this is Telkom we're talking about here, so who knows. On that note, I must say that Telkom has started to improve recently but still have a long way to go with their customer management.

On the above pricing - so an uncontended 1Mbps ADSL service (excluding Telephone and line rental) would be R2000 (IPC) + R700 (international) and then some overheads for equipment and management from the ISP - is that about right?
It's close, but remember one has to factor in redundancy, local transit and backhaul network costs and then yeah the network equipment costs need to be added too.

Last edited:

ichigo

Executive Member
They will most likely announce on 2nd of April what the plans are, and give a date for when the new cost is effective, but this is Telkom we're talking about here, so who knows. On that note, I must say that Telkom has started to improve recently but still have a long way to go with their customer management.

It's close, but remember one has to factor in local transit/backhaul costs and then yeah the network equipment costs need to be added too.

There customer management is quite good everytime I had a problem. Like recently line went down and they were here in 2 days to replace the dslam card.

The customer helpline 10210 is also helpful they were ones who got me help quickly, also like there automatic SMS fault report system unlike ISP's.
(This is for last 5 years experience, but ye they improved even more recently)

So I see this positively happening soon if true.

MickeyD

RIP
There customer management is quite good everytime I had a problem. Like recently line went down and they were here in 2 days to replace the dslam card.

The customer helpline 10210 is also helpful they were ones who got me help quickly, also like there automatic SMS fault report system unlike ISP's.

So I see this positively happening soon if true.

I disagree. 10210 sucks donkey balls.

What you need to remember is that WA don't phone 10210 so the service/customer management that Rupert refers to is not the Call Centre "helpdesk".

ichigo

Executive Member
I disagree. 10210 sucks donkey balls.

What you need to remember is that WA don't phone 10210 so the service/customer management that Rupert refers to is not the Call Centre "helpdesk".

Guess you always get wrong people on 10210 and I have lots of luck :D, it was my first try on the new helpline number after receiving my fault number.

I got very nice lady and when I told her my adsl went down last night she immediately escalated it without asking me stupid questions and knew my number without telling her and the fault number.

Its the reason why I stay with Telkom as my main ISP/line holder.

What does WA call?

Last edited: