ADSL is dying in South Africa

Trib

I think your title is wrong, it should read more like:

"ADSL was killed (by Telkom)"

The sad truth is, nothing wrong with ADSL if it is done correctly (as we all know)

Ninji

Banned
Declining yes, because like in my case, simply not interested in providing a service at all!

system32

Expert Member
ADSL too expensive for what you get, especially when you add in the forced POTS line rental.

klipdrifter

I am glad. They cannot provide service so people should jump ship. The only problem for people like me is that I can't jump ship because their is no substitute yet.

quovadis

Expert Member
Considering Telkom is migrating DSL to Fibre rapidly and more players have entered the FTTH market it's no surprise that DSL is "dying" yet fixed broadband also includes fibre so this is really a non-story since Telkom's fixed broadband subscribers are in fact increasing?

Johnfpro

I am glad. They cannot provide service so people should jump ship. The only problem for people like me is that I can't jump ship because their is no substitute yet.
I have the same problem and I live in Durbanville that supposedly has extensive fibre coverage.

Dream on :whistling:

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Its fixed broadband subscriber base declined despite solid growth in Openserve’s fibre-to-the-home network, which now passes 219 825 homes.
They cannot compare broadband subscribers with "homes passed". How many fibre subscribers does Openserve actually have?

TheBossMan

Expert Member
What does these clowns except if it takes multiple weeks or over a month to fix a faulty line? We paying way to expensive for poor to almost no service.

When ADSL does work it's not even very stable with the CRC errors on the line and line drops at random intervals.

Akasha

Executive Member
And some of us don't even have ADSL, only 3g/4g modems if you're lucky enough :p

pedruid

Expert Member
ADSL is dyingt in South Africa

:mad:They took a month to transfer my line 3 km on the same exchange and now my 10 Mbps ADSL is only running at 60%. Fibre is lit on the other side of our road and laid this side, but who knows when they will offer it to householders.

animal531

Expert Member
Last time I had a line issue Telkom fixed it in 1 day, which also happened to be a Sunday morning.
So no complaints from me.

Takkies

There are three good reasons to upgrade to fibre.
1] Its better
2] Its Cheaper
3] Its a way to get away from Telkom.
For me, reason 3 was the clincher.

Now Telkom say they will be offering 100GB ADSL.
Of course there will be no SLA and of course it will be expensive.