ADSL line down in Weltevreden Park since 14 March 2017

AliWil

Hi there - my line has been down since 14 March - now 3 weeks exactly. Fault reference 15BRK140317

Apparently, this was due to cable theft and is now a 'bulk fault'. Is anyone else having problems - can't seem to get any progress reports/updates.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ryder_JHB

Expert Member
Hi there - my line has been down since 14 March - now 3 weeks exactly. Fault reference 15BRK140317

Apparently, this was due to cable theft and is now a 'bulk fault'. Is anyone else having problems - can't seem to get any progress reports/updates.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Exact same issue here, except mine went down on the 17th March. Zero progress, zero updates. Googling and checking out the local facebook community has led to the following suspects:

Cable Theft affecting 900 landlines
Cable has water in and needs to dry out
Cable damage affecting 900 landlines
Vandalism to West Rand infrastructure

I'm hopefully within a couple of weeks of live fibre, so I've given up phoning Telkom. Will cancel as soon as my fibre is up and running.

If you are in Welties, you should have fibre soon as well surely?

Ghost416

I'm also in Weltevreden Park and same issue. Although my line was only installed on 4 March, been waiting for the line to connect ever since.

Fibre is not an option for me as I live in a complex and the body corporate first needs to try and convince the majority of the tenants to approve.

I'm at a lost for what to do as I can't find any other viable alternative for internet.

Ryder_JHB

Expert Member
Spotted this on our Welties Community Facebook Group:

So I had a nice chat with Telkom about our Weltevredenpark ADSL issues....

After throwing my toys for the nth time the last six weeks, the Technical Fault Department Manger gave me a better description of the issue: the current bulk ADSL line out of Weltevredenpark is currently wet, due to a municipal sewage pipe leak. Apparently much of the Telkom ADSL infrastructure follows existing municipal infrastructure that has been laid years ago and is not aging very well.

The current Telkom line cannot be touched as there is "a direct current" flowing through the line, no the contractors will not touch the line until it is dry. From this manager, I got the feeling that Telkom is not doing anything about it, but waiting out the issue. His alternative solution is to wait to Telkom Fiber as in words "it is the way forward", which will be rolled out in "a few months"

As I am still not connected to Vumatel, I would like to know what is the way forward: Do we put pressure on the municipality to fix sewage leakage or do we just blast Telkom until someone fix the leakage?

Is there some kind of DA counsellor reading this, that can follow up with Telkom and liase with the municipality regarding the issue?

Ryder_JHB

Expert Member
Openserve Techie appeared this morning, on a public holiday nogal, and within 15 mins, my service was back up and running.