K3NS31

Expert Member
This won't affect mobile broadband as IPC is the component used by ISP's to connect into the Telkom ADSL network.

Backhaul links work differently and most of the bigger network run their own backhaul links to the undersea cables or they use DFA, Neotel, etc. depending on who provides the best value service to them.

Thanks

guest2013-1

As MWEB said, perhaps some of this price cut should be left with Telkom to use constructively to upgrade and improve networks?

Why? They haven't done so in the past? Why would they do so now? They charge huge amounts and then let their network slide? An internationally-comparable network in the late 90's has just degraded over the last 12 years or so into what we're USED TO now and yet they have had record-earnings while decreasing staff on an almost yearly basis? Why hasn't the profit from that gone back into upgrading the network?

I say "good, 30% price reduction, high time!" not "maybe they should use the money to upgrade the network". If they haven't used the bundles of money they've made to upgrade the network by now, they never will. I'll take the price-cut thanks

entrepr

Expert Member
Um, sorry... I see an announcement from ICASA... but where is the proof that Telkom is actually doing this/going to do this???
I don't see any announcement from Telkom???

Telkom has sent out official announcements to the ISPs so it is confirmed.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
OK so what now?
I would rather they used the money to fix up the spectacular cock-up with the ADSL DSLAMs in my exchange

markings

Expert Member
PLEASE ISPs. Don't drop prices. Rather gives better quality uncapped.

Why are the people with uncapped always shouting MORE, MORE? It is getting quite annoying.
AFAIU, they already get more than their fair share of what they pay for. I think it is time that those with 384kb lines and smaller packages make their voices known.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
I don't think its quantity... quality i.e. downtime, speeds, shaping, that sort of thing.

nadimm

Expert Member
Ipc = ~50% adsl cost.

So 30%reduction on ipc = 15% on total.

We'll be lucky if we see 10%. And i assume this will be just off the service cost.

So like R20 in an uncapped 384?

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
Looking forward to saving a bit on my internet bill. Paying just over R1000 for internet (I don't do any voice calls) is really a drag.

Well done ICASA. It's the type of action we were hoping for from the start :)

greatwyt

this is fantastic news, and not april fools joke? awesome

of course we will alays want more for less but this is a good start an im happy to see it

MickeyD

RIP
Ipc = ~50% adsl cost.

So 30%reduction on ipc = 15% on total.

We'll be lucky if we see 10%. And i assume this will be just off the service cost.

So like R20 in an uncapped 384?
No. If the ISP passes on the full 30% IPC cut, then you'll see a maximum 22,2% reduction in your ISP cost. Then remember that this is only 1 cost in the total ADSL pricing model.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
No. If the ISP passes on the full 30% IPC cut, then you'll see a maximum 22,2% reduction in your ISP cost. Then remember that this is only 1 cost in the total ADSL pricing model.
You might want to double check that calc of yours. ;)