ADSL pricing: The long walk to R2 per GB

rpm

Admin
Staff member
The long walk to R2 per GB

Capped ADSL prices have plummeted to less than R2 per GB, but many people may remember the dark days of 3GB caps and paying R80 per GB for ADSL data

Skerminkel

Expert Member
We do need a reminder why we despise Telkom so much every now and then!

Johand

Expert Member
It is a bit unclear in the article... The 30gb accounts from WebAfrica were never terminated... They were upgraded with 100gb nighttime data and later an additional 30gb nighttime. I still have my account. It is only recently were other prices started to compete with the WebAfrica special.

RichardG

Honorary Master
The more undersea cable arriving in South Africa the better nothing existing to celebrate. Check more information the cables available in SA www.cablemap.info :) .

When I did have ADSL back in 2009, openweb had those 30 Gig IS accounts you could easily manage over 400 gigs if your line didn't reboot or worst power failure cos restarting of routers weren't allowed anymore.. Not sure of the timeframe to be exact

Once South Africa receives true broadband services such as:

Sky
Virgin Media

We still have a long way to go hopefully Telkom Mobile will boost their data allocation :)

entrepr

Expert Member
This shows that true competition can drive prices down and yet still support a healthy industry.

The price rises continued well into the ANC's government

If only mobile voice can follow the same trajectory - it is, after all, just megabytes of data.

I also think of DSTV when I see those price increments before the big plummet.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The undersea cables contributed very little to the decrease in costs of ADSL data. The major portion of the cost of ADSL is the national network between where the cables come into South Africa and the backhaul that gets the data to the individual exchanges, and of course the local loop too. It actually costs more to transmit data between Cape Town and Joburg than it does from London to Cape Town.

sparticus

Expert Member
The undersea cables contributed very little to the decrease in costs of ADSL data. The major portion of the cost of ADSL is the national network between where the cables come into South Africa and the backhaul that gets the data to the individual exchanges, and of course the local loop too. It actually costs more to transmit data between Cape Town and Joburg than it does from London to Cape Town.

All I know is that the price plummeted the day seacom arrived and continued to do so till this day , Todays mobile data is very similar to this old pricing , lets hope that they follow the same decline as the time goes by

Kayoss

I really don't think that "promotions" should count when measuring differences in costs. Unless you plan on writing another article, when the promotion ends, showing how the price per GB has doubled once more.

Yes, a promotion like this would never have existed a year ago, but it's still just a promotion which is probably aimed at signing up as many people as possible. Once Afrihost reverts back to it's original pricing, very few of those people will leave when the cost will still be in line with their competitors. If Afrihost were to adopt these prices on a more permanent basis, then I will most certainly jump ship and sign up...

I guess for now, i'm just going to wait and see if Openweb responds.

Eskomisaloser

Expert Member
I really don't think that "promotions" should count when measuring differences in costs. Unless you plan on writing another article, when the promotion ends, showing how the price per GB has doubled once more.

Yes, a promotion like this would never have existed a year ago, but it's still just a promotion which is probably aimed at signing up as many people as possible. Once Afrihost reverts back to it's original pricing, very few of those people will leave when the cost will still be in line with their competitors. If Afrihost were to adopt these prices on a more permanent basis, then I will most certainly jump ship and sign up...

I guess for now, i'm just going to wait and see if Openweb responds.
I am betting they WILL change to these prices after the promotion. They have done it before :)

Petec

Expert Member
After years of Telkom bemoaning that SAT-3 was at full capacity and there was no way to upgrade (hence high bandwidth costs), the SECOND Seacom landed, they "magically" found a way to upgrade the system, and doubled the capacity of SAT-3

Telkom is directly responsible to holding the internet development behind the rest of the world and to adding a point or 2 to our inflation.

Marcan

Telkom is directly responsible to holding the internet development behind the rest of the world and to adding a point or 2 to our inflation.
Add to that the 'Famous" duopoly of Vodacon and EmptyN, allowed by the then toothless and gutless baby ICASA and our useless DoC. Then it's clear that telecoms in a properly, well regulated, not suffocated or dominated free market system CAN deliver.

Last edited:

Syphonx

Expert Member
Add to that the 'Famous" duopoly of Vodacon and EmptyN, allowed by the then toothless and gutless baby ICASA and our useless DoC. Then it's clear that telecoms in a properly, well regulated, not suffocated or dominated free market system CAN deliver.
It would only add to our inflation if they raised prices, which for the most part hasn't, but you can definitely argue that it had a negative on economic growth rates.

nictron

Can you indicate on that graph when the VANS court case was won to allow almost anyone to compete. JZ said that the apartheid government blocked the internet penetration but the current government was all too happy to maintain the statuesque until the network legislation challenged in court and was opened up after which more competition entered the market which allowed for prices to come down.

The big guys are now competing with small local players which made a big difference!

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
Afrihost 100GB capped account for R399.
Vox Telecom 50GB capped account for R189.
Web Africa 200GB capped account for R599.
Axxess 200GB capped account for R679.
Afrihost 100GB capped account for R199.
What am I missing here?