ADSL speed fluctuating badly

riscbroker

Expert Member
I Have a 10Mbps Telkom line, it has been really consistent for months now, except for the last few days. It keeps dropping to 250kbps or thereabouts, stays there for a bit and then goes back to just under 10Mbps, which is my usual speed. Speed test done with MyBB and Fast.com.

I've logged a couple of fault calls with Telkom, to no avail.

I've factory reset the router (Telkom D-Link G2562-DG) and recreated the connection from scratch, but the problem persists.

Malwarebytes and Windows Defender or whatever it's called now find no gremlins.

Please, any clues as to where to look for the problem?

riscbroker

Expert Member
I'm nowhere close to being throttled, speed is fluctuating pretty much at random times. It drops as low as 80kbps and sits around there for a while, then goes up again with mo intervention at all. At the moment Fast.com shows DL as 4.8Mbps, obviously plenty traffic at this time of the evening.

Arksun

Expert Member
I'm nowhere close to being throttled, speed is fluctuating pretty much at random times. It drops as low as 80kbps and sits around there for a while, then goes up again with mo intervention at all. At the moment Fast.com shows DL as 4.8Mbps, obviously plenty traffic at this time of the evening.
When you say your speed drops, do you mean that's what speedtest is reporting, or do you mean your line syncs at a lower speed?

riscbroker

Expert Member
When you say your speed drops, do you mean that's what speedtest is reporting, or do you mean your line syncs at a lower speed?
Speed drops as reported by speedtest, if I check the line sync speed at that time it's normal (about 1Mbps up and just less than 10Mbps down). Which presumably points to a problem on my LAN, but I cannot figure out how to troubleshoot it.

riscbroker

Expert Member
Edit to all the above: I just found a Service Restoration Notification from Telkom in my mail, so hopefully they've taken some action. Line is currently at 9.1Mbps as per Fast.com.

riscbroker

Expert Member
This problem is still present - line speed according to Fast.com drops, this time to 480kbps, the music I'm streaming from Spotify stops for a bit then resumes, stopped again now with speed at 330kbps. Driving me mad, is there software I can install to help me look for problems on the LAN or is this still a Telkom issue?

DYreX146

I see the line standard you are using is ADSL 2+ (G.992.5), maybe look in you router settings and try to change it to VDSL (G.993.1) or VDSL2 (G.993.2) and see if that helps.

src926

That attenuation.. Wow. Do you live in the exchange? :)
Do you have another router to test with? Maybe try a free 1Gb account from Afrihost or Webafrica to test when things go pear shaped.

riscbroker

Expert Member
That attenuation.. Wow. Do you live in the exchange? :)
Do you have another router to test with? Maybe try a free 1Gb account from Afrihost or Webafrica to test when things go pear shaped.
:) There are a couple of imposing Telkom boxes just around the corner from me, that's probably what helps.

I have a couple of really ancient Telkom routers somewhere, I'll search for them as a last resort.

Is the consensus that the line is okay and the problem is either with the router or elsewhere on the LAN?

src926

Speed issues can be difficult to pinpoint due to the many factors at play. Control what you can for now, I would make one change at a time and see what happens.

riscbroker

Expert Member
Yeah, I'm busy removing smart switches, cameras etc from the LAN to try and narrow the search. I'm fairly confident that the Telkom line is okay.

XTM

I also experienced that problem with telkom dsl. I'm sure its telkom issue

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Yeah, I'm busy removing smart switches, cameras etc from the LAN to try and narrow the search. I'm fairly confident that the Telkom line is okay.

Have you ruled out problems with your ISP? The problem might not be with Telkom.