ADSL Speed Upgrade/Downgrade fees. Telkom are useless AND greedy

Lope

i called telkom, asked the woman about upgrading the line speed for a month to try it out (from 384 to 4mbit). its free to upgrade. i asked if there is a charge to downgrade. she said theres no charge. she even checked with someone else cos i didn't believe her.

R152/m for 384
R413/m for 4096

then i call again and spoke to a diff guy. i said "i want to upgrade the line etc. is there a cost to upgrade or downgrade?" the guy says "ya, theres a cost of R394 to downgrade" he even checked with someone and confirmed it.

they are so f-ckin useless

And greedy, they'll happily click a button to increase my speed and monthly subscription cost for free. But they won't click the button again if I find it un-necessary.
Sure they don't want people calling them every day to change their speed, but give me 1 free downgrade every 6 months or something for $&*% sakes.

they have no sense of morality.

Lope

Nice idea, but too much effort and risk of downtime. Telkom just want to screw their forced customers every step of the way. I can't wait til we can all leave them.

phvader

i called telkom, asked the woman about upgrading the line speed for a month to try it out (from 384 to 4mbit). its free to upgrade. i asked if there is a charge to downgrade. she said theres no charge. she even checked with someone else cos i didn't believe her.

R152/m for 384
R413/m for 4096

then i call again and spoke to a diff guy. i said "i want to upgrade the line etc. is there a cost to upgrade or downgrade?" the guy says "ya, theres a cost of R394 to downgrade" he even checked with someone and confirmed it.

they are so f-ckin useless

And greedy, they'll happily click a button to increase my speed and monthly subscription cost for free. But they won't click the button again if I find it un-necessary.
Sure they don't want people calling them every day to change their speed, but give me 1 free downgrade every 6 months or something for $&*% sakes.

they have no sense of morality.
Got the same pricing as you (phoned about 10 minutes ago) - BUT the DOWNGRADE was quoted at R170 incl VAT not R394 as you said.
Was asking them to implement from 1 December to 4 Jan 2010 and they said I should just phone about 2 days prior implementation and when I want to cancel, also phone 2 days before.
Sounds easy enough, hopefully they don't screw it up. :rolleyes: