The total number of broadband subscribers is made up as follows:

Neotel – 150,000
iBurst – 50,000
MTN – 2,000,000
Vodacom – 5,000,000
Cell C – 170,000
Telkom – 875,000
Can this be true?
I believed the number of broadband subscribers to be way more.
Also the amount of Vodacom subscribers are more than double that of MTN and nearly 30 times that of Cell C????
Always believed Vodacom and MTN were much closer to each other. Vodacom was also the slowest to react when other operators cut data prices.
Considering the love for Cell C and the sheer hatred for Vodacom on MyBroadband, I can't believe this!
This does not compute.

Tinfoil hat on.
Was this report sponsored by Vodacom?

Can you link the report?

Rockhound

Also what about 8ta? They should at least have a hundred thousand subscribers or more.
They probably have one of the best data deals in the form of 60GB + 60GB Promo.
Or are they included in the Telkom figure? (I don't believe so considering the title of the article)

Can you also clarify how the figures are calculated?

I for example have two ADSL accounts and I also have a Cell C and Vodacom usb modem.
I use the ADSL at home and use the Vodacom modem as a backup for the my primary Cell C modem when on the road dependant on Cell C coverage and speed.

In which of those numbers am I counted. Telkom ADSL, Cell C or Vodacom? Or would I be included in all three?

This still does not compute for me.

Thanks. :)

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
I also can't believe there are only 850k people connected to the Internet by copper.

Of those who use ADSL, many are SMEs rather than individuals, and connect many more individuals.

Odracir

Expert Member
@ Rockhound, you are wondering why Voda have so many subscribers yet you are one of them. :wtf:

Skerminkel

Expert Member
I have a 500 MB bundle on my smartphone contract. Surely that should be counted as a Cell C broadband connection?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Can believe those numbers, although the Vodacom numbers I would guess are somewhat inflated.

I have a smartphone but it very rarely (if ever) is used to go online when I'm not on wireless at work or at home.

abandonallhope

Expert Member
Considering the love for Cell C and the sheer hatred for Vodacom on MyBroadband, I can't believe this!
This does not compute.
As big as this forum is, it does not really represent what actually happens in the real world SA, especially when it comes to mobile/wireless internet access. Everybody in SA needs a cellphone, and that's actually millions upon millions, but only a portion of these people actually make use of broadband internet on their phones, and a much smaller percentage of these people will actually share their experiences/complaints/compliments online in a place like MyBB.

BruceA

The article says "latest statistics" but does not specify a date. This data may be old, and thus does not factor in 8ta or Cell C. Also it does not specify the definition of broadband. Does someone using a couple of MB on a feature phone count? Should smartphone usage be factored in at all? The only people that use ADSL with a smartphone are using it as a secondary device.

What you really want to see is how many people use ADSL for their primary access vs a wireless option.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
CellC and 8ta are most likely pushing many more GB's per subscriber than Vodacom and MTN. That would be the major statistic to look at.

Spasie

"I have a smartphone but it very rarely (if ever) is used to go online when I'm not on wireless at work or at home".

Indeed. My smartphone is only used to download new versions of its own operating system - hardly ground shaking stuff. I also have an Iburst connection due to the Cr#p 4 Mb ADSL line in Bryanston, Johannesburg. The Iburst speeds are mostly very competitive with our ADSL line! Bring on LTE, please!

Last edited:

intel8080

Banned
It looks like Vodacom and MTN is counting every subscriber who has ever send a MMS, as a broadband subscriber WTF On the other hand, if indeed there are so many data subscribers on Vodacom + MTN (every fifth Man Woman and Child in South Africa) then we are the most broadband connected country in the world! If the average South African family has 5 members then 100% of SA's homes are broadband connected thru either Vodacom or MTN. What a load of BS.

dabbler

Expert Member
Currently my ADSL line is down. I use 8ta for my BF3 gaming as Cell C pings are occasionally unstable and I have to commit suicide to continue 2 to 3 times an hour when playing, and the Vodacom tower is too far away and the 3G is thus less stable, but usable. The Cell-C tower is closest to me (~500m) so browsing and speeds are a pleasure. I'm looking forward to the time that Telkom actually gets my ADSL line back up again. My MTN sim card doesn't work in any of the modems I have.

Which category do I fall under? ;)

PS. My next phone WILL have LTE capability. :)

Last edited:

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
If I could get the stability/ping/data volume from wireless, I would drop Telkom, but wireless just cannot compete with fixed line stability and latency.

djrwb

Something that is not reflected in these figures are how many of those Point of Sale/credit card machine/ATM's/Lotto machines are counted in these figures. A large number (most?) of these are using some form of internet connection to communicate with the mainframes. In the past this was either via dedicated lines (ATM's) or dail-up (Credit card POS machines)

brentmin

These stats are laughable. At first glance Vodacom and MTN will pat themselves on the back, but realistically what they offer can hardly be called broadband. LTE is a tiny step closer, but is available in such a limited area it's hard to consider it a player and then then speeds for LTE are so slow when compared to most other countries that have LTE networks. So, what are we left with? Here is my breakdown:
Telkom ADSL - Reasonable speeds low latency and still the best deal per MB. However, we still battle with ill trained call centre people who hang up on you the moment you become frustrated with their ignorance.
Neotel - that fails to cater for the user than uses between 5GB and 70GB per month. It's either up to 5GB or uncapped at over R 2000.00. So not really a consideration unless you are a heavy user such as a business.
MTN - A total disaster all round. Expensive, Mostly EDGE and when you do get HSDPA it's still slow.
Vodacom - Expensive, but more reliable than MTN with better speeds.
Cell C - Better prices but limited coverage.
8ta - a wireless wannabe - still does not benefit the mid range user (as does not Vodacom and MTN.
I-burst - not sure where they get the idea of "burst" from and continual smtp problems.

So, if you are a mid range user (6GB to 50GB) where do you go? So far it's Telkom ADSL and Afrihost with the best data packages. Now what happens if Telkom goes under? What then?