Adverts are coming to Telegram

Death

Paying for premium features. Cool no problem.

Creating your own ad platform to avoid 3rd party ads and generating revenue to keep you going. Cool no problem.

I'll keep using it for business (unless something drastically changes)

saor

Honorary Master
Why don't they just add a paid ad-free version? Stupid forcing ads on people willing to pay.

MickeyDangerez

Lol at least with ads you know you're not the product they use to fund the service. Good bring them ads. Bye whatsapp

Reactions: xtm

Crowley

Executive Member
Whatsapp brigading hard to stop the bleeding I see.

The "ads" is clearly spelled out 9/10 people won't see them as they don't join large "news / update" type channels.

No ads in groups or any normal conversations.
Don't let things stated in the article get in the way of outrage.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Awesome journalism. 99.9% of users won't see any ads. They are for corporate channel things, similar to a Twitter feed, that relatively few people use. Regular chats and groups won't see any ads.

"However, these ads will not be shown in private one-on-one or group chats, Durov emphasised, but rather on Telegram’s public one-to-many channels."

I mean it's right there in the story. No need for a click-bait headline.

Edit: Jesus Christ. MyBB edited the click-bait to make it even worse.

Last edited:

koeks525

Executive Member
I didn't cancel my WhatsApp for Telegram or Signal, and I won't be doing this. I think if user data collection was that much of a concern, people should be cancelling instant messaging and social media all together, and returning to snail mail. I do think the media blew this out of proportion - most apps use user collected data one way or another.

Even when a platform starts off pure, it'll eventually change and get more greedy in the future.

Johand

Expert Member
I didn't cancel my WhatsApp for Telegram or Signal, and I won't be doing this. I think if user data collection was that much of a concern, people should be cancelling instant messaging and social media all together, and returning to snail mail. I do think the media blew this out of proportion - most apps use user collected data one way or another.

Even when a platform starts off pure, it'll eventually change and get more greedy in the future.
The biggest problem is not your private data but your social graph. We have seen in the last couple of years how social media is used to manipulate people (Cambridge Analytical, Bell Pottinger etc) based on social connections. The issue is not some post or small piece of information - it is about systemic threat based on large scale social profiling.

Switching to Signal is like a vaccine - it creates greater immunity for the society at large.

The great thing is that Signal does not have your social graph and it is not for profit.

Apogee

Expert Member

That is exactly what I told everyone that paid attention to the media frenzy.

I think the media companies panicked when they suddenly realized that their free daily staple of Trumpet was coming to an end.