advice! cars with longest front seat:boot length

DigitalNinja

hey guys,
i've been on the hunt for a car that simply allows me to lie flat in the back, whether that's on a mattress or not.
I've looking online at caddies, some suv's, bakkies but i would like to keep price point low while at the same time simply getting something that i can lie in, or put a bicycle or surfboard in. I'm not fussy, nor do i need a fancy car, all i need is this.

i've never really known much about cars so it's proven really tough. Some high mileage cars are super chilled as they last forever, or there may be just some clever cheaper "smaller" cars that have this capacity.
Some ive thought may work are Subaru Foresters, Caddies, but then thought of a cheaper route would be a Honda Jazz. Bakkies are a bit of a mission because they either dont have much seat space, or the back is a crime risk.

any advice or suggestions welcome, would like to open a discussion around it. :)
i dont have a family or anything, want to just be able to go away and sleep in the back, or takea bike or surfboard out for a spin.

shot so much!

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
You need a proper station wagon.

Failing that, find a chrysler voyager. The V6 ones usually go cheap cause they're so heavy on fuel.

S.Claus

Expert Member
How tall are you ? Makes a big difference if you are 1.4m vs 2.2m.

Edit: have you considered a panel van ?Some people turn them into a home on wheels.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Look no further:

Low price: Check
Can sleep in it: Check
Surfboard: Check
Seat space: Check, you can take all your mates with their surfboards
Bicycle: Check
Fancy (not so): Check

It even has curtains to make it feel more homely

1636624684134.png

ponder

Honorary Master
Some ive thought may work are Subaru Foresters, Caddies, but then thought of a cheaper route would be a Honda Jazz. Bakkies are a bit of a mission because they either dont have much seat space, or the back is a crime risk.

The Outbacks have way more space, also look at the Volvo 70 & 90

B-1

Expert Member
Panel vans are very underated in SA so you can get some good deals on them. They have good headroom vs the station wagons and are pretty configurable.
The caddy and nissan nv200 are nice examples but theres a few that will be great.
You a lucky guy I miss my gap year cruising the coast in a combi being a bum and surfing.

rodga

Honorary Master
E39 touring
Not sure if any other wagons have it but the e39 touring has different rear suspension setup compared to the sedan. The cargo area does not have wheel/suspension humps like most other vehicles. Most also have rear self leveling suspension which is great for loading.

BMW5SeriesTouring-1126_14.jpg

These sizes are in inches
BMW%20E39%20Cargo%20Area%20Dimensions.jpg

The rear glass on the tail gate also opens up if you really tall and want your feet to hang out
maxresdefault.jpg

Then you should also be able to fit one extra compared to the sedan
uploadfromtaptalk1362092613547-jpg.33941

DigitalNinja

hey guys, sorry to have dropped off! decided back then to keep my downhill-going car to save money, and life got a bit occupied.

I appreciate the further responses. going to resurrect this.
I've now near-decided to sell it and get a new one, the frequency of issues is starting to get faster.

The e39 touring looks awesome!
Not sure about vans, although it was something i looked at. I kinda like the vibe of a wagon.
Im not a big car dude, but i asked myself "what car do i actually like?" and audi station wagons came up.
What are your thoughts on them? Or any other options at all?

I dont want a car that's mad expensive to repair (heard Volvo's are,otherwise I could very easily love to get one), or mad heavy on fuel.

I pretty much just want to be able to relatively comfortably sleep in it. I'm 190cm.
SHOT!

PhireSide

Honorary Master
hey guys, sorry to have dropped off! decided back then to keep my downhill-going car to save money, and life got a bit occupied.

I appreciate the further responses. going to resurrect this.
I've now near-decided to sell it and get a new one, the frequency of issues is starting to get faster.

The e39 touring looks awesome!
Not sure about vans, although it was something i looked at. I kinda like the vibe of a wagon.
Im not a big car dude, but i asked myself "what car do i actually like?" and audi station wagons came up.
What are your thoughts on them? Or any other options at all?

I dont want a car that's mad expensive to repair (heard Volvo's are,otherwise I could very easily love to get one), or mad heavy on fuel.

I pretty much just want to be able to relatively comfortably sleep in it. I'm 190cm.
SHOT!
I bought an A4 Avant not too long ago.

It fits one of those plastic clams in the boot with the seats up, if that gives you any indication.

But, I've also had to throw around R6k in parts at it (and it was a 'working' car when I bought it). I do all my own repairs so labour is nil, but add another R6k or so in labour to get an idea.

You should try find something that has seats that can fold totally flat, otherwise sleeping might be uncomfortable. Most cars have a flat boot area and then the seat area is slightly raised, unless you get something like a Jazz

DigitalNinja

thanks man, not sure if i should start a new thread with updated needs. not sure how many people will see and repond to this?

anyway im looking to get something fast. Livina just really doesn't give me any sort of nice feeling, looks like an old granny car ;p

are you saying audi is indeed costly to repair? any other suggestions guys?
i always appreciate good banter and humor, but now I quite seriously need to find something.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
thanks man, not sure if i should start a new thread with updated needs. not sure how many people will see and repond to this?

anyway im looking to get something fast. Livina just really doesn't give me any sort of nice feeling, looks like an old granny car ;p

are you saying audi is indeed costly to repair? any other suggestions guys?
i always appreciate good banter and humor, but now I quite seriously need to find something.
If you're looking at things like Volvo's or Audi's then more than likely the repair costs for things will be higher than others as they are marketed as luxury brands.

If you get a nice, clean example Avant or XC70 then you should be good to go, but it's advised to keep some spare change to the side for unexpected repairs.

I knew what I was in for when I bought my Avant, so it wasn't totally unexpected, but it is surprising how quickly the bill can add up when diagnosing issues and you have to start throwing parts at it.

Check out the Audi Thread started by PostmanPot for some ideas. Some of the regular guys there went through some ordeals with theirs, and you'd be surprised at some five-figure repair quotes for some of the issues.

qscwbt

Expert Member
SEE | Here's how many automakers still sell station wagons in SA | Wheels

Subaru outback reliable, permanent all wheel drive , loads of space etc