Advice for first time YouTube video recording for eCommerce site

Basil959

Hi All,

I'm in the process of starting a small eCommerce site, the site will sell some technical products which will require some instructional YouTube videos. Obviously I'd like the instructional videos to looks as professional as possible.

What I'd like to know is what camera should I buy to record some HD content? Cheap point and shoot with video?

And what software should I do the editing in, from what I've read for a first timer "Windows Movie Maker" is a great place to start.

Any advice greatly appreciated...

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Hi All,

I'm in the process of starting a small eCommerce site, the site will sell some technical products which will require some instructional YouTube videos. Obviously I'd like the instructional videos to looks as professional as possible.

What I'd like to know is what camera should I buy to record some HD content? Cheap point and shoot with video?

And what software should I do the editing in, from what I've read for a first timer "Windows Movie Maker" is a great place to start.

Any advice greatly appreciated...

How much you looking to spend max?

You could probably get away with something quite cheap but make sure you spend time getting the lighting and sound right first.

Basil959

How much you looking to spend max?

You could probably get away with something quite cheap but make sure you spend time getting the lighting and sound right first.

I wouldn't mind spending R5k, maybe an older model SLR..?

adsl2

Expert Member
Maybe rent a camera and some lighting equipment for your shoot?

Basil959

After a bit of thought I'm starting to think the success of my site is going to revolve around the instructional video's on YouTube.. I'm thinking I should be spend a bit and maybe getting a professional to record in a studio and maybe even an actor.. :wtf:

This is the kid of video I'd like to do..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWbbrdXhkoI

Any recommendations in DBN, any idea what this would cost..?

genetic

Honorary Master
Its not the camera thats important. Any HD camera will do the job, even your phone.

It's the SOUND that matters! Invest in a good microphone. Lapel or shotgun. There is nothing worse than watching a youtube video with crappy sound.

And also, if you are gonna use your phone, hold it properly and shoot horizontal video. Not stupid vertical video as some fools do.

adsl2

Expert Member
Its not the camera thats important. Any HD camera will do the job, even your phone.

It's the SOUND that matters! Invest in a good microphone. Lapel or shotgun. There is nothing worse than watching a youtube video with crappy sound.

And also, if you are gonna use your phone, hold it properly and shoot horizontal video. Not stupid vertical video as some fools do.

And stabilize it.

airborne

Honorary Master
And stabilize it.
If it's a static shot then just put it on a tripod.

Most higher end point and shoot cameras do video very well these days or any dslr(incl mirrorless) that does video will be fine. Static shots incl panning are relatively easy, its when you are trying to shoot dynamic content where the camera or subject moves that things get harder.

You'll have to at least get an external mic or the Zoom(there are other makes) standalone recorders with stereo mics are very good and not very expensive.

I'd get decent video editing software, premier or Sony Vegas, perhaps use Adobe's monthly subscription service to get the best software for a month or 2.

Also will need lights, led are good.

Much of the basic stuff can be bought on eBay.

If you want to make the videos on an on going basis you'd be better off shooting them yourself, good video production is hugely pricey and having your own setup means you can shoot a clip wherever/whenever. Also I have seen people pay a mint for video to be shot and then the way it's done/edited isn't really what they invisaged but by that time it's too late.

Either way there is huge amounts of free and good content that teach how to make video content, just Google, youtube etc. Also there is so much free content providers for amazing titles/credits/fonts/icons backdrops etc. Many of which originated on mobile but now have moved to desktop, Pixlr, Fotor, filmora.