Advice needed on new Ultrawide 34" Monitor with USB C charging

The Philosopher

Expert Member
I have just moved to Prague and left my 2 27" old tn monitors back in SA.

I am looking to upgrade to an IPS panel and an ultrawide one as I do not have the space I did in SA. I would like as much monitor real estate as possible without two monitors.

other requirements and facts:

1. Need to be easy on the eyes, i presume IPS is the best. I look at my screen 10 hours a day for work. This is very important, so if there is another panel type that is better ! please let me know
2. It does not need to be a gaming monitor; I only use it for work and may watch some movies.
3. I currently have Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th gen I7 laptop as my work pc
4. budget lets start with 10k
5. I would like to use it as 2 logical monitors to replace my two physical monitors. Will this be possible. Ie some kind screen splitting software.
6. Should it be curved to give it better viewing if it is so wide!
7. grid software ie to split the screen up into 2 logical screens.

I have been looking at the Dell 34" P3421W and also the Dell U3421WE but the Ultra sharp is significantly more expensive with not many more benefits.

I like the single usb-c cable to my laptop, it will declutter massively.

I have looked at many top 10 lists of ultrawides. It is hard to say what I need. I don't need gaming capability but I need it to really be easy on the eye. eg will 100hz be better than 60hz?

I realise I will also need a wireless keyboard and mouse. Any quality and sleeking looking suggestions?

zolly

Expert Member
In regards to #2, I've found having a higher refresh rate gaming monitor (144hz) is much easier on my eyes, even just for my regular work day.

I'm actually in a similar situation to you in that I currently run a dual monitor setup and am looking to switch to a 32" or larger single monitor arrangement. The problem is for me is that it's fooking expensive to go for:

1) 1440p
2) 144hz minimum
3) 32" or larger (because I'm getting old and my eyes aren't what they used to be)

I've got a few monitors in mind but waiting for prices to drop in SA. Considering you're in Prague you should have relatively cheaper options there, assuming they don't put insane taxes on large screen monitors.

The Philosopher

Expert Member
144hz will put me out of price range. the P3421w is about R9500 here in prague. It is just within my budget.
What monitors do you have in mind?

zolly

Expert Member
These are the ones I'm looking at but waiting for a good deal/new stock on.

LG 32GK650F
Mecer K3G3R
LG UltraGear 32GN600

Also a couple of Dells, but they are even more expensive.

Are you getting paid in Euros or Rands?

_kabal_

Expert Member
I dont think I would enjoy 32" @ 1440p

I am using a 32" 4K @ 125% scaling in "dual" monitor mode, and it is perfect IMO (I say dual in quotes as I really just have e.g. my browser in portrait on the right and my IDE or whatever work app I am using in portrait on the left

1621502446708.png

zolly

Expert Member
I dont think I would enjoy 32" @ 1440p

I am using a 32" 4K @ 125% scaling in "dual" monitor mode, and it is perfect IMO (I say dual in quotes as I really just have e.g. my browser in portrait on the right and my IDE or whatever work app I am using in portrait on the left

View attachment 1073237

32" 4k at 144hz or higher is way out of my price range unfortunately.

_kabal_

Expert Member
32" 4k at 144hz or higher is way out of my price range unfortunately.
absolutely.
if you gaming a lot then it makes a lot of sense though (1440p @ high refresh)

I am perfectly fine with 60hz for 95% work, 5% casual gaming

zolly

Expert Member
absolutely.
if you gaming a lot then it makes a lot of sense though (1440p @ high refresh)

I am perfectly fine with 60hz for 95% work, 5% casual gaming

My eyes must be particularly sensitive, because when I used to work on a 60hz screen my eyes would be dead by the end of the work day (it probably didn't help that I would game for a few hours regardless). Completely bloodshot and tired as hell. My eyes still get some fatigue but it's been much less since I upgraded to 144hz. Best investment I ever made for my eyes.

The Philosopher

Expert Member
My eyes must be particularly sensitive, because when I used to work on a 60hz screen my eyes would be dead by the end of the work day (it probably didn't help that I would game for a few hours regardless). Completely bloodshot and tired as hell. My eyes still get some fatigue but it's been much less since I upgraded to 144hz. Best investment I ever made for my eyes.
This is what I am the most afraid of. I want to make sure my eyes dont take strain at all. Note I wont be gaming on it though.

Are you getting paid in Euros or Rands?
Still in rands, but fortunately they is czk here which is weaker than the rand. So prices are only marginally more than sa on average. Otherwise some stuff is definitely more.

one poster

I have just moved to Prague and left my 2 27" old tn monitors back in SA.

I am looking to upgrade to an IPS panel and an ultrawide one as I do not have the space I did in SA. I would like as much monitor real estate as possible without two monitors.

other requirements and facts:

1. Need to be easy on the eyes, i presume IPS is the best. I look at my screen 10 hours a day for work. This is very important, so if there is another panel type that is better ! please let me know
2. It does not need to be a gaming monitor; I only use it for work and may watch some movies.
3. I currently have Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th gen I7 laptop as my work pc
4. budget lets start with 10k
5. I would like to use it as 2 logical monitors to replace my two physical monitors. Will this be possible. Ie some kind screen splitting software.

If not gaming I am not sure that monitor refresh rate would have a major impact on being easy on the eyes - "viewing hygiene" (distance from screen, overall contrast/brightness settings, viewing time without taking a break etc.), as well as panel characteristics like LCD flicker, etc. could be more relevant?

I went through a similar monitor upgrade exercise and came to the conclusion that for me 4K (2160p) would result in too small text on any monitor smaller than 40" and that a monitor that size would lead to other ergonomic problems when used on a desk. Upscaling fonts on a 4K monitor can maybe still leave problems with some apps if using Windows. (to check/compare how different monitor size and resolution combinations will compare in terms of PPI I found this site quite useful - or just google "what is retina" / "is this retina").

Based on what I use my monitor for (mostly text, some video/images), viewing distance (about 1m monitor to eye) and budget I settled on 32" 1440p as being the best option for me. (even though similar sized 4K/2160p monitors are often cheaper).

I bought a LG-32QN650-B (when I was looking, non-4K 32" monitors were not readily stocked by anyone in South Africa so I went via Amazon ). So far very happy with it.

The extra real estate is very handy and even though it is supposed to equate to the same PPI as my previous Dell 24" (both are IPS panels) for me the text does appear smoother on the LG. Even at 1080p the text is still not bad. But this monitor is obviously not a gaming monitor by most current standards (only up to 75 Hz) and no USB-C (or any other USB if relevant). If u want you can download the LG monitor software to have your monitor divided in a preferred layout that you can "snap" apps to (2 side by side, grid of 4 etc. - apparently you can achieve something similar with Microsoft PowerToys... assuming you are on Windows). The LG has an external power brick and if buying through Amazon will come with a USA wall plug type but it seems happy with a plug adapter. Many people seem to feel that the fixed height stand version of the LG monitor is a bit wobbly - I went for the height adjustable version (in Rand terms was about a R150 or so price difference with shipping etc. (think sourced from different suppliers and shipping on the cheaper fixed height version was more expensive). I keep the monitor on the lowest position otherwise I have to tilt my head up a bit when using it).

Rough idea of screen real estate: (Images resized to 720p height since I do not know what the MyBB image size limit is). Word set to 100% zoom, Arial Font, 12 Font Size. Tab Full screen

1Word.jpg

Same settings with each tab sized to just before the page view would reduce to less than the full page view:

3Words.jpg

The Philosopher

Expert Member
Thanks one poster for your detailed reply.

I am pretty happy withe 1440p 34" ppi.

It is now between the VA and IPS panel. I was set on the IPS panel but there are some VA version which are cheaper and come with a few more features like ethernet jack. The Dell P3421w does not have the ethernet jack.
The Dell U3421we does but it signifcantly more. Also the dell U3421we has the AH-IPS which is suppose to be better than standard IPS< but is it worth the extra dough?

ALso what about build quality and feel and also the actual sleek look of the screen?

B-1

Expert Member
Sorry for the slight hijack but does anyone here have an oled TV as a display? The room I'm in is on the dark side and it seems like the pure black and lower blue light would be beneficial?

The Philosopher

Expert Member
I have seen the Asus MX38VC, it has IPS with 75hz

Is the extra 15 Hz worth it?

I read some reviews and people said after working with 100hz monitor at home they refused to go back to the office where the screen was 60hz

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I have seen the Asus MX38VC, it has IPS with 75hz

Is the extra 15 Hz worth it?

I read some reviews and people said after working with 100hz monitor at home they refused to go back to the office where the screen was 60hz
60->75Hz is a pretty big jump and definitely noticeable for me. I scroll through a lot of text while coding, helps a lot for skimming, keeping the text clear, can actually keep scrolling without stopping mostly.
Both IPS and VA are fine, it's more a case of color accuracy and ghosting etc. here, but for a vast majority of people this is just a question of price and VA is more than good enough.
You can use something like fancy zones, part of MS Power Toys
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/#fancy-zones > https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/fancyzones
You can set up your own zones you'd like to snap to:
1622752476579.png
At 32", I didn't like the curve on my old Dell, at 34" it's still debatable and depends on your viewing distance.
See 5.

Tun@

Expert Member
Screen real estate & price you could probably find a Dell P4317Q (they are EOL)
Don't miss that some of the ultrawide's lack screen height vrs that Dell.
Few more $ you could probably climb into a U4320Q.