Advice Needed: Performance Tyres for Mercedes Benz

dyllindd

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice on tyres for my vehicle please. I currently drive a 2010 MB E500 Coupe.

I require two new front tyres. Now, the dealership where I bought the car, put Davanti DX640's on the rear of the vehicle. I have not seen a lot of reviews for them, but from what I've seen, the reviews look good.

The size required is 235/40/R18 95Y and the options for me are:

Davanti DX640 - R1600 each.
Continental Sport Contact 5 - R2400 each.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - R3200 each.

I tend to be a spirited driver so good tyres are important. However I am also concerned about potholes as one destroyed one of my current tyre and bent a rim. (Do not want to be replacing expensive tyres that often as well).

I have also felt on my previous CLK500 and now the E500 that the Conti's are prone to tramlining. Is this the same with the Michelins?

Thanks everyone, your advice is highly appreciated.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I would go with the Contis, based on prior experience. (I had them on my AMG)

Sarg3_ZN

Had the Pilot Sport 4's (225/45/17 though) excellent tyres in any condition wet or dry, the road noise is non existent and the ride is sublime.

Now on Goodyears, cause the the tyre place didn't have PS4's and I was not going to wait another week to get tyres, but will be going back to PS4's once these tyres are done.

berrypi

michelin - using pilot sport4 and its overall a much better tire - been running on bridgestones and pirelli. Performance cars benefits from performance tires. ESP stopping distances. The pirelli i found to be the quietest of the 3, however, cornering and putting power down --- it comes up short (but compared to davanti, much much better), \
look at hankook too...

DarkSt0rm

I'm pretty sure I had the Sport Contact 5 and changed them pretty quickly after a few very close calls of 'emergency braking' in heavy rains where the tires just couldn't find grip to stop.

Personally my go to is Yokohama, Toyo or Pirelli. Found the Japanese brands to be basically bulletproof.

Veyron786

I would not discount the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 5 from the list, very good ratings in all reviews.

Jchan11hk

Had PS3 on my sports car too, great tyres, but expensive.
I am on the Nexen now for my daily, not bad on pricing and reviews were great on the SU4.

Deandbn

I would definitely recommend using the factory specified conti MO (Mercedes Only) SC3 or SC5 tyres on that very powerful 5 litre V8 with traction control EBD BAS and so on else you could kill yourself very quickly in an emergency with non specified tyres.. Not to mention that insurance would probably also be void.

Stokstert

Executive Member
"I tend to be a spirited driver so good tyres are important", but it is more important to keep your eyes open to
avoid potholes. ;)

/runs for cover