Advice needed regarding noisy neighbours

armitage

Expert Member
Hey. Been having a bit of a problem lately....well for about a year now.

I stay in a apartment building, on the other side of the parking area there is a different apartment complex. I suppose i'm the closest to the other complex and have a few windows facing them.

My problem is that almost on a weekly or biweekly the tenants on the adjacent complex decide its a good idea to have a party/ gathering / braai / suip during the week after 21h00 carrying sometimes on until about 1-3 in the morning in their parking lot. I have no problem with anyone having fun(Hell, every weekend they party on the friday, saturday and sundays and I never bother them then).

A couple of times I have gone over to the fence dividing our complexes and asked that they put their car system's volume lower("asb mr. mense probeer slaap hierso. Sal julle asb die volume n bietjie laer sit?") with the result that everytime i walk away more pissed of, as they think it's quite funny or I am being unreasonable to ask them to do so.

So, from last night I started calling the cops on them. Cops rocked up. music went off, but then just to make sure I know that I didn't win, they carried on till about 3 just shouting and partying as hard as they could.

Also, I'm trying to trace their body corporate to get into contact with them but all I have is the complex name and nowhere can i find the body corporate name or telephone.

So, does anybody know what your rights are precisely when it comes to noisy neighbours?

tl/dr. noisy neighbours, what do i do?

poffle

Executive Member
if you can see them from your apartment get a paintball marker + pepper balls. They will disperse quite quickly i think. Other than that i cant help sorry :p

jetlee

I like to fight fire with fire .. guys like that love to sleep in late etc .. so take a morning after a party ... get up ant 6 .. and put 2 speakers on the balcony pointing at their place .. and crank it .. until someone from their complex complains ..

Then you tell them its gonna keep happening till they learn some respect ..

Or .. just keep calling the cops .. they will eventually get gatvol of coming over and will give the okes a serious warning ..

If they turn the music off and keep shouting .. then call the cops and say it sound like someones getting attacked .. maybe after enough times the dudes will get the message.

OR .. last resort ... move ... I know loads of people who have been forced from their homes cause of inconsiderate neighbours .. and most of them are glad they did.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Find a way to cut off their power, even if it is the entire building. Make it the problem of others.

Good Life

Expert Member
Hey. Been having a bit of a problem lately....well for about a year now.

I stay in a apartment building, on the other side of the parking area there is a different apartment complex. I suppose i'm the closest to the other complex and have a few windows facing them.

My problem is that almost on a weekly or biweekly the tenants on the adjacent complex decide its a good idea to have a party/ gathering / braai / suip during the week after 21h00 carrying sometimes on until about 1-3 in the morning in their parking lot. I have no problem with anyone having fun(Hell, every weekend they party on the friday, saturday and sundays and I never bother them then).

A couple of times I have gone over to the fence dividing our complexes and asked that they put their car system's volume lower("asb mr. mense probeer slaap hierso. Sal julle asb die volume n bietjie laer sit?") with the result that everytime i walk away more pissed of, as they think it's quite funny or I am being unreasonable to ask them to do so.

So, from last night I started calling the cops on them. Cops rocked up. music went off, but then just to make sure I know that I didn't win, they carried on till about 3 just shouting and partying as hard as they could.

Also, I'm trying to trace their body corporate to get into contact with them but all I have is the complex name and nowhere can i find the body corporate name or telephone.

So, does anybody know what your rights are precisely when it comes to noisy neighbours?

tl/dr. noisy neighbours, what do i do?
You think that's rough ? There's a little dog just over the wall where i live, that does not stop yapping from day to night. I wanna kill it, seriously. :mad::mad:

armitage

Expert Member
I'm seriously at the point of packing it up and moving to somewhere that hasn't gone down the gutter.

Anybody know if there is a law that stipulates the maximum noise they can create at night?

Last year I had a kinda similiar situation. The road where the gates to our building are situated is a cul de sac. A bunch of hobos decided it was the best place to set up shop. Resulting in a few prossies using the spot for their clients and the hobos building a shack with regular gargage raids. Also the cops raided it a few times and I think some got arrested for drug possession/dealing.

Got to a point where they cut the fuel line on my car after which i got the police to remove their shack everytime it appeared. After about the 3rd time it got taken away they got the hint that it wasn't going to be easy staying there anymore.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Take a drive to public call box, and make an anonymous call to the Cops stating you think their is a Tik lab being operated out of their house.
(evil :D )

BurNinG

The best thing to do is to get the number for the body corporate chairperson, the owner (if they're renting), or the agent. Depending on their contract it'll probably take 2 warnings before they get evicted.

Why should you be the one moving? You're not the problem. Surely there are other people with the concerns.

ponder

Honorary Master
Eish, you people seem to have it bad.

Move to a gated estate or a better area is all I can suggest.

Ja, this thing they call tolerance... it's BS!

kedul

Buy a super directional microphone, a super terrawatt directional speaker and amplifier, a device to slightly change the frequency to elliminate accoustic feedback, connect it all together, and send their super amplified sound back to them, to shatter thier windows / glasses / jaws / eardrums.

Alan

Honorary Master
Buy a super directional microphone, a super terrawatt directional speaker and amplifier, a device to slightly change the frequency to elliminate accoustic feedback, connect it all together, and send their super amplified sound back to them, to shatter thier windows / glasses / jaws / eardrums.
and how would one go about purchasing these......:erm:

greg_SA

Expert Member
Speak to your neighbors - they are also probably irritated by the noise. Find out who their body corp is and complain to them... should work (hopefully they are renting).