Advice on how to stress a newly developed system to identify bugs?

Eli Whitney

Any advice on stressing a newly programmed/developed system that is used to capture information?

Daruk

Honorary Master
Automated testing software. Automated testing is a fairly big domain. Recommendation is to hire a consultant or business to do it for you if you want it done properly. Otherwise Google automated testing software.

Selenium, telerik test studio, depending on the platform there are quite a few options.

scudsucker

Expert Member
Traditionally, this is done by releasing your software to the public....

My current company uses JMeter, which I would not recommend at all. It has a horrible UI, and config is saved as XML which makes it near impossible to checkin your test with your project. OTOH, it has established itself as one of the de facto stress test formats.

I dont know of a better option (Selenium would be my first go-to, but I have not used it for real testing) but I would avoid Jmeter if you can.

Daruk

Honorary Master
The trouble with DIY is that software testing is a pretty complex field and people don't recognise that. Stress testing software can be very technical to set up, but I would honestly, budget dependent, consider a consulting firm to do it for you.

scudsucker

Expert Member
The trouble with DIY is that software testing is a pretty complex field and people don't recognise that. Stress testing software can be very technical to set up, but I would honestly, budget dependent, consider a consulting firm to do it for you.
Wise words.

It's all too easy to "stress test" what you think is going to be a problem, only to be blindsided by a completely separate issue that you have not foreseen.