Advice on lowering my car

Cr419

Executive Member
Down here we think noise is proportional to speed :p

Speaking of slammed cars though, was briefly behind a golf that was taking on a speed bump like it was about to mount a pavement. If I had a brick, it would have had a use.
I know exactly how you feel. Almost drove into an old civic hatch a few days ago as he came into my lane while crossing a small water channel running across the road. He was dropped so he struggled to get over. Dumb bastard.

qscwbt

Expert Member
DSC_5922-43 stance.jpg

This is a "stance car. Stupid cambers. This makes for a terrible drive.

F143831495.jpg

This car is on airbags. It can be low when parked and normal height when driving. You can adjust the height while driving. A decent kit can be upwards of 80k.

adv1-wheels-bmw-f13-m6-kw-coilovers-lowered-aftermarket-forged-directional-spoke-rims-A.jpg

This is a lowered car. It runs on coilover shocks. These are height adjustable. Takes a lot longer to adjust the height. But you can adjust how hard or soft the ride. rebound and more. Awesome for track days.

silver6933

Expert Member
Wow long thread.

For the record, I have lowered my scoob. I have AST/Whiteline coilovers. They support a 60mm drop. I also have the whiteline roll correction kit. . Car is on a 30mm drop. It handles way better than the OEM kit. I can pull higher g's in corners.

If the OEM engineers had tons of money in the world to RnD the 'best' suspension. I wonder why prodrive made lowering springs(these were sold by all subaru dealers). EiBach made the springs for Prodrive. OEM does not equal to best.

My recommendation:

Get a proper coilover kit, from a established company. (BMW AG sells lowering kits for their cars)
Else get a set of lowering springs from a reputable manufacturer.

Do Not mod OEM springs to lower car.

Btw I can recommend a local suspension builder. He is a KW agent.

Last edited:

ubercal

Expert Member
Wow long thread.

For the record, I have lowered my scoob. I have AST/Whiteline coilovers. They support a 60mm drop. I also have the whiteline roll correction kit. . Car is on a 30mm drop. It handles way better than the OEM kit. I can pull higher g's in corners.

If the OEM engineers had tons of money in the world to RnD the 'best' suspension. I wonder why prodrive made lowering springs(these were sold by all subaru dealers). EiBach made the springs for Prodrive. OEM does not equal to best.

My recommendation:

Get a proper coilover kit, from a established company. (BMW AG sells lowering kits for their cars)
Else get a set of lowering springs from a reputable manufacturer.

Do Not mod OEM springs to lower car.

Btw I can recommend a local suspension builder. He is a KW agent.
whiteline FTW !!!! running BC racing coilovers on both my scoobs with whiteline swaybars.

silver6933

Expert Member
Lowered suspension is for track racing, they don't drive on normal roads cause it's shyte! There is no way you can make, what took engineers 1000s of hours to perfect, and make it better for the conditions it was designed for. Stop talking shyte :D
The AST I have on my car have a longer stroke than the OEM. AST also make suspension for most of the performance cars, many are sold through the dealerships as OEM upgrades.

OEM stuff is made to a price point.

nazmo

The AST I have on my car have a longer stroke than the OEM. AST also make suspension for most of the performance cars, many are sold through the dealerships as OEM upgrades.

OEM stuff is made to a price point.
Agreed, some high quality coilovers can improve your cars handling and drive quality. I want to get 3way KW coilovers to replace my OEM Cup suspension which is very firm.

Cr419

Executive Member
I help the in-laws move this weekend, they live right opposite a school with 2 speedbumps right in front of their gate. Heard a lowered pre-FL e46 diesel cross the last one on Saturday afternoon, scraping, as in a lot of scraping, as he was crawling over the last hump. I would probably cry if i were to scrape my car like that, it's a horrible sound.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I help the in-laws move this weekend, they live right opposite a school with 2 speedbumps right in front of their gate. Heard a lowered pre-FL e46 diesel cross the last one on Saturday afternoon, scraping, as in a lot of scraping, as he was crawling over the last hump. I would probably cry if i were to scrape my car like that, it's a horrible sound.
The more and the harder you scrape the more cred for you, haven't you seen the videos on YouTube? You'll have a crowd standing in some entrance and one by one the lowered cars come through, the harder they scrape the louder the cheers from the crowd.

Last edited:

Cr419

Executive Member
The more and the harder you scrape the more cred for you, haven't you seen the videos on YouTube? You'll have a crowd standing in some entrance and one by one the lowered cars come through, the harder the scrape the louder the cheers from the crowd.
If that's not irrefutable proof that these people are morons then I do not know. ( excluding those dropping for practical reasons like tracking their cars )