• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Two-Day Giveaway - Win a Google Chromecast, Branded Gear, and a Mystery Gadget. Enter Here.
  • Giveaway - Win a DiskStation DS918+ and Active Backup Suite from Synology. Enter Here.

Advice please for a one time polish

chubz

Hello :)

So I recently acquired a 2nd hand white 2016 Mercedez Benz. There are some very light scratches on the bonnet of the car, if you stand in front of the car you cannot see them, only at certain angles with a strong light on the bonnet can you see them.

The dealership said they will take the car in for me to a "reputable bodyshop" and get them to polish the bonnet to remove those fine scratches.

I have some conflicting advice. A family member who used to own a body shop, said that the scratches are so minimal that it would be best just to leave it as is, as polishing the bonnet will remove some of the layer of clear coat, and eventually could get dull and faded.

However, from my research (and what the dealership is saying), that the process will be fine and will look good with no issues. My research indicates that some people polish their cars once every year, or sometimes even more than once a year.

So if certain people do it every year, then I would guess that a "once off" polish for me should be OK? What are your thoughts on this? I don't intend to do this again, but it would be great to just get those annoying fine scratches out (that generally I am the only one who knows about it :))

I'm just concerned that the once off polish could have a long term affect, in which case I will just leave it as is because the bonnet is still nice and shiny.

I would really appreciate your expert advice on this :)
Thank you

Sugarman

Making Sugar
Once off polish would be fine depending the age of the car.
But if you take your car in for buff & detailing you should be fine

chubz

Once off polish would be fine depending the age of the car.
But if you take your car in for buff & detailing you should be fine
Thank you for the response. Its a 2016 model, and is only 2 years in October, so its fairly new.

Tman*

Expert Member
Where about are you based?

I had a guy do an deep cleaning interior detail for my car, which I can recommend for a exterior detail (according to his customer pics).

If you are in Gauteng, drop me a PM & Ill share the details.

chubz

Where about are you based?

I had a guy do an deep cleaning interior detail for my car, which I can recommend for a exterior detail (according to his customer pics).

If you are in Gauteng, drop me a PM & Ill share the details.
Thank you for the response, I am in Cape Town though.

Mekon

They will use a abrasive compound like P11 or similar to get the scratches out then polish with normal car polish to get a shine.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Polish once a year or every six months is just fine.

However it MUST be waxed after the fact and preferably waxed more regularly under regular maintenance to maintain the paint.

The very point of polish is to be slightly abrasive and clear off the top layer (not the clear coat as your friend says, that will only happen if done wrong or too aggressively) and then you replace that with wax which protects the clear coat and paint and makes the car less likely to get dirty and also easier to clean.

Here are some easy to understand points.

https://www.meguiars.co.za/faqs/

And if you want to nerd it out...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96D52AF54166C886

Last edited:

chubz

Thanks everyone for the advice. Since following this advice, some reputable shops have suggested I should not let the dealership sent it to a bodyshop, as they will most likely just make it worst (they deal with this often). So I might rather just take it to a reputable place in Cape Town and pay myself, so I can ensure I get a proper job done.

Last edited: