Advice Required: Worth using Rain 5G in non 5G area ?

Lebogang95

Hi guys. So I'm interested in getting rain's unlimited home 5G premium but when I check 5G coverage in my area there does not seem to be any.

However, about 3-6 kilometers away, there is 5G coverage and when I do a Network operator search in my current location I can see 65573. According to another post here on MyBB, that is a rain 5G tower close enough for a 5G router to pick up a signal.

I just wanted to know from you guys if it's worth ordering the package. At this point, I'm pretty desperate. Great as it was, I canceled the Fixed LTE from Afrihost as it was a bit expensive for what we get (150GB/150GB is not enough). Fiber is not an option, we don't have coverage here.

I switched to rain's unlimited 4G 24/7 but the family streams quite a bit of Netflix & YouTube. On top of that me and my brother do a lot of online gaming on weekends and suffice to say, the speeds pretty much become crippled and unusable.

I have attached a coverage map for reference. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 14.51.47.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 14.51.47.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Hi guys. So I'm interested in getting rain's unlimited home 5G premium but when I check 5G coverage in my area there does not seem to be any.

However, about 3-6 kilometers away, there is 5G coverage and when I do a Network operator search in my current location I can see 65573. According to another post here on MyBB, that is a rain 5G tower close enough for a 5G router to pick up a signal.

I just wanted to know from you guys if it's worth ordering the package. At this point, I'm pretty desperate. Great as it was, I canceled the Fixed LTE from Afrihost as it was a bit expensive for what we get (150GB/150GB is not enough). Fiber is not an option, we don't have coverage here.

I switched to rain's unlimited 4G 24/7 but the family streams quite a bit of Netflix & YouTube. On top of that me and my brother do a lot of online gaming on weekends and suffice to say, the speeds pretty much become crippled and unusable.

I have attached a coverage map for reference. Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi Lebogang,

Kindly note that if you're not within 5G coverage, you may not be able to use 5G optimally.
I would suggest you do not take 5G in an area that is not covered with 5G as you would not get the optimal use for 5G.

Prim0

Not sure if they will sell you a product if you don't fall within their coverage but adding to what you said I remember reading somewhere on this forum of someone who stays around 3.5km from their closest tower and was getting around 350mbps.