Advice: What AV receiver to buy?

DrBergie

Hi guys.
I am looking to get a AV HDMI receiver for my HDTV. I already have a HTPC, so I already have DLNA and Internet capability. My requirements in decreasing priority order are: picture quality, sound quality, iPod plug&play, ease of use and stream analogue AV inputs (like composite) to HDMI. (So only one device in my living room has to switch inputs.)

Most of what I have seen in the shops and online in about the R6000 range seem to do what I want, but I can't help but feel that I will pay for features that I won't use, DLNA specifically. Does there exist a cheaper option?

I still want to get decent 5.1 speakers and still come in at around R9 000 total spent.

More background:
I looked at Dion wired's special for a R11,500 Marantz that they had on special with 5.0 speakers for R11 000. But that breaks my budget.

On the second hand side, I did find a guy willing to sell his oldish Marantz SR 7002 for about R6000. (On amazon its going for new for around $1000, so the price isn't too bad.)

Any other options that I am missing?

DrBergie

Thanks Paul,
I registered over there now. Looks like they are the people to talk to.

K

kingrob

If you're looking for an AV receiver that's great value, have a look at the Sony receivers.

The Yamaha receivers might just be out of your range.

*If your foundation is good (which will be your receiver), then the rest will made to shine as well. ;)

ponder

Honorary Master
If you're looking for an AV receiver that's great value, have a look at the Sony receivers.

The Yamaha receivers might just be out of your range.

No, rather look at decent second hand gear than buy sony.

tRoN

Executive Member
Go for Onkyo...great products. Have mine for 10 years now.

DominionZA

Executive Member
I got that Marantz SR5007 just under a year ago from Dion Wired. Fantastic device.
Paid R7k for it (haggled the salesman).

DominionZA

Executive Member
Please explain what is wrong with the Sony receivers.

Nothing wrong exactly. They just not that good. My new Marantz replaced my Sony. The difference is amazing.
Sony amp is now my bar sound - and still doing a good job.

getafix33

Expert Member
Yamaha - been around for absolute yonks, and keep producing top quality units.

K

kingrob

If your budget is really really tight, you can start off with this one.....

YamahaRX-V373_zpsb7fc8627.png

K

kingrob

Or if you have a bit more cash, this is a darling with a wide range of speakers...it has been replaced by a newer model, called the RX-V675.

YamahaRX-V673_zpsc07b78c8.jpg

AVSupply

AV Supply representative
Company Rep
Maybe just a bad year/model? Here's the amp I have, bought it 2 years ago

The next model (609) won amp product of the year 2011

Onkyo.jpg

Last edited: