Advocates jeopardising measures to save lives after they question NCC, says Presidency

newby_investor

Expert Member
Link:

Well I'm sorry, Mr President. I don't know what kind of Soviet Union you think we live in, but it is an inherent right of citizens in a free democracy to question their leaders.

In the opinion of this humble citizen, that is a right that is worth dying for. I will personally lay down my life if needed in order to ensure that citizens still have a right to question their leaders. They may even be dumb, the leaders may even be right, but no matter, they are accountable to the citizens. COVID-19 be damned, I'd rather die from a new disease than live under a state tyranny where leaders' decisions cannot be called into question.

Rant over. Guys and gals, this is upsetting me more than it should. We've complained about exactly the same characteristics in the leaders before, corruption, poor decisions, lack of accountability, abuse of power, etc. I don't know why we expect anything different now.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
The problem in SA is that they determine the restrictions for everybody based on the lowest common denominator.
And I've noticed that they've taken Cele off the air now, but I still believe his attitude and views are reflective of most of the ANC's approach to the lock-down. i.e. Mr and Mrs big political shot swinging their [over]weight around with glee.
They are worrying about some odd people bouncing tobacco zols (nobody I know), but at the same time these rules have led to a situation where people can't work, and are standing in lines of thousands of people close together for food parcels. Very few masks. Little testing, but of course even if there is testing then by the time somebody who's infected get's to the front of the line where there's maybe a testing station (who knows?) then they've probably infected 10 others. Sassa days are a unhygienic mess with people crowded close together at pay stations. Etc.. Etc..

And still they come with BS like this. NDZ this is nothing but misdirection to hide the ANC government's failings. One of which is the level of restriction. Because they love the control and power they are squeezing this country like an overripe fruit. The result will be a mess.

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Plenty of people are questioning the structure and secrecy of the NCCC:
In her letter, Lomax said Ramaphosa's response was uncharacteristic of the president she had come to know, adding that the two advocates requested information to which the country is entitled.

"I am disappointed that such a request would warrant a response that the request 'places in jeopardy all measures taken to save South African lives'. This is most unfortunate and is likely to have chilling effect on anyone who wishes to raise legitimate concerns with your office in particular and with government in general. A preferable response would have been to simply answer the question," she said.
On Tuesday, DA federal council chair Helen Zille, while in conversation with party interim leader John Steenhuisen, also questioned the transparency of the NCCC. She added that very little detail on the composition of the council, and how it takes its decisions on regulations, had been revealed to the country.

"The problem is that we do not know the composition of the [NCCC]. Is it indeed composed only of Cabinet members or are there other persons on the [NCCC]? The deliberations of this body are private, and it exercises enormous power at a time when basic human rights are, by necessity, curtailed.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Daily Maverick analysis of the same question:
It is powerful, but also opaque: nobody knows who sits on it, how it works, how it accounts to Parliament and how it has come to dictate such a large part of our lives. This is not to diminish the fragility of life right now as the novel coronavirus – SARS-Cov-2, or Covid-19 – wreaks havoc here and everywhere, but as authoritarianism infects the virus’s slipstream, there are important questions about democracy to be asked too.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
I am quite frankly shocked, at how south things have gone so quickly.

Granted, in SA, there will always be stupid - ALOT OF STUPID .... people defending the indefensible is common, scoring own goals, shooting their own feet off, blinder than bat with cataracts ... but not seeing this will most definitely cost the country years of growth and wealth.

BBBEE and AA couldnt have damaged it more ... and JZ's van Rooyen bugger up cost us big, but I think spineless Ramaphartface and his boss, Mrs. Zuma have topped this with their COVID stupid. Be interesting to research the cost of each, maybe later......

Ya know, as terrible as it sounds I am happy for the majority of "free" South Africans ..... they got what they voted for.
Many happy returns ..... enjoy your heros and the freedom you now enjoy.

For the rest, I wish you all the best, and hope that you weather the African dumb virus ....

alanB

I'm just wondering out loud, at what point does the average South African, who just want's to live in peace, go to work, live their life, decide "enough of this stupid power drunk control by some unknown self appointed people who don't seem to have our best interests at heart".

At what point do we just start ignoring their silly little diktats, and carry on with our lives?

Tman*

Expert Member
How dare they question the NCCC!!!

Trust your government, after all they know whats best!

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
I'm just wondering out loud, at what point does the average South African, who just want's to live in peace, go to work, live their life, decide "enough of this stupid power drunk control by some unknown self appointed people who don't seem to have our best interests at heart".

At what point do we just start ignoring their silly little diktats, and carry on with our lives?
We have reached that point. People are going about their lives as normal. Roads and shops are busy.

Blue Shirt

The arrogance displayed by the presidency's reply is just so typical. As usual, there is no accountabiliy.

It is really time for the ANC to be kicked out at the ballot box. There is no more place in the world for bush-communists to pursue their megalomaniac wet dreams.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
The arrogance displayed by the presidency's reply is just so typical. As usual, there is no accountabiliy.

It is really time for the ANC to be kicked out at the ballot box. There is no more place in the world for bush-communists to pursue their megalomaniac wet dreams.
Be careful what you wish for... You may replace Bush communists with pseudo communist dictators like the eff....

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad

We're passed that stage already :cool:

requiem

Expert Member

I am at that point, but we need everyone to reach it.

They can't imprison all of us

LetsDance

The french revolution started with the monarchy going bankrupt (to a large degree by supporting the americans gain independence) and a large degree of bad luck from weather (hail storm which destroyed the crops and an extreme record cold spell which destroyed the wheat). A national government was formed with radical ideas on how to structure social structure. From there, the reign of terror started. I see the same signs here in South Africa.