Aerial fibre --> from pole (black box) --> to my house - how?

shadow_man

Executive Member
Currently with Vumatel (trenched), but Openserve have entered in my area and run an aerial fibre link to a pole behind my house (the big black pole boxes). If I switch to Openserve and connect to that, then how do they run that "last mile" to my house (via a shallow trench and conduit or aerial with the existing phone line)?

The reason I ask is because there's a tree directly in the way of the pole, which would probably make an aerial run impossible here... What do they normally do?

StoneCold

Expert Member
Currently with Vumatel (trenched), but Openserve have entered in my area and run an aerial fibre link to a pole behind my house (the big black pole boxes). If I switch to Openserve and connect to that, then how do they run that "last mile" to my house (via a shallow trench and conduit or aerial with the existing phone line)?

The reason I ask is because there's a tree directly in the way of the pole, which would probably make an aerial run impossible here... What do they normally do?

It will most definitely be aerial from the pole to your house. If there is a tree between the pole and house, then no problem, they'll run that cable through the tree, no issues.

When they did my installation initially, it was the same. Have a big tree, right next to the house where the aerial cable is fixated, but the cable was angled around a branch before the fixation point. I told them the day the installed, wouldn't that branch cause issues and they were like "nah, it will be fine".

Well, I carried on for 2+ years, no issues, until one day I decided that I'd rather remove those branches myself, which I did and have peace of mind knowing that the branch would cause it break over time. So, if possible, maybe try and clear a line of sight for the cable through the tree (if possible for you to do so) before installation.

Otherwise, let them install it running through the tree. The cable will not break, they can take a bit of a beating, that I can attest to :)

• Love
Reactions: Yuu

shadow_man

Executive Member
It will most definitely be aerial from the pole to your house. If there is a tree between the pole and house, then no problem, they'll run that cable through the tree, no issues.

When they did my installation initially, it was the same. Have a big tree, right next to the house where the aerial cable is fixated, but the cable was angled around a branch before the fixation point. I told them the day the installed, wouldn't that branch cause issues and they were like "nah, it will be fine".

Well, I carried on for 2+ years, no issues, until one day I decided that I'd rather remove those branches myself, which I did and have peace of mind knowing that the branch would cause it break over time. So, if possible, maybe try and clear a line of sight for the cable through the tree (if possible for you to do so) before installation.

Otherwise, let them install it running through the tree. The cable will not break, they can take a bit of a beating, that I can attest to :)

Good to know - thanks.

Ironically there's 3 poles behind my house.

|1 |2 |3

The first got a black box, as did the second (this is where the tree sits). The third (far right) on the other hand didn't get a box as the pole is almost rusted through - so I got Telkom to add in a new pole (but this was only completed AFTER the fibre installers added the boxes and - and they skipped the last pole as it was being replaced... (getting this rectified after the fact seems almost impossible to fix)...

So I'm wondering if they can simply take the cable from pole 2 --> pole 3 --> to my house (as the existing phone cable is off this pole.

StoneCold

Expert Member
Good to know - thanks.

Ironically there's 3 poles behind my house.

|1 |2 |3

The first got a black box, as did the second (this is where the tree sits). The third (far right) on the other hand didn't get a box as the pole is almost rusted through - so I got Telkom to add in a new pole (but this was only completed AFTER the fibre installers added the boxes and - and they skipped the last pole as it was being replaced... (getting this rectified after the fact seems almost impossible to fix)...

So I'm wondering if they can simply take the cable from pole 2 --> pole 3 --> to my house (as the existing phone cable is off this pole.

If I understand correctly, does your analogue phone cable run off the third pole? Well, *maybe* they could fixate the 2nd pole's black box on the third one, providing you with better line of sight? It's only something that they will be able to tell you once they rock up for an installation.

If you still want to make use of analogue, it can work over the fibre cable as well (my folks' setup is like this), as the analogue cable simply just plugs into the back of the fibre ONT. Obviously to make calls, the ONT will need to be on, but at least the two can "co-exist" on the same fibre line.

Interesting that you have 3 poles behind your house, good grief, I only have one. Don't know what the limit is of the number of connections they can make from one black box, but yeah, interesting that they installed that many.

shadow_man

Executive Member
If I understand correctly, does your analogue phone cable run off the third pole? Well, *maybe* they could fixate the 2nd pole's black box on the third one, providing you with better line of sight? It's only something that they will be able to tell you once they rock up for an installation.

If you still want to make use of analogue, it can work over the fibre cable as well (my folks' setup is like this), as the analogue cable simply just plugs into the back of the fibre ONT. Obviously to make calls, the ONT will need to be on, but at least the two can "co-exist" on the same fibre line.

Interesting that you have 3 poles behind your house, good grief, I only have one. Don't know what the limit is of the number of connections they can make from one black box, but yeah, interesting that they installed that many.
Yep I think you're understanding correctly.

3 poles as it's a big erf (1000m2) with multiple erfs behind me. I don't use the anologue - but the cable is already there (mounted on the 3rd pole), so i figured it's easy to just use the same run and terminate at the same point (as opposed to needing a new run).

The big reason I'm interested is mainly because 100/100mbps costs me R1140 on Vumatel, whilst on Openserve I'd pay R1116 for 200/100mbps. (same ISP - Mind The Speed, so I should be able to orchestrate a fairly seamless switchover).

TedLasso

Expert Member
I think you overthinking everything

Tell them where you want it entering your house

Let them to figure out how to solve / provision the service

Enjoy.

CxJx2011

Enjoy.
As long as you're willing to pay for them to do so, however, that sucker is coming in from the roof no matter what

shadow_man

Executive Member

Enjoy.
For sure - unfortunately I'm trying to work around downtime ;) WFH means I need a connection and I can't afford to a) cancel Vumatel b) not have Openserve come online c) get double billed (as that negates the savings of moving, so that's pointless)

TedLasso

Expert Member
For sure - unfortunately I'm trying to work around downtime ;) WFH means I need a connection and I can't afford to a) cancel Vumatel b) not have Openserve come online c) get double billed (as that negates the savings of moving, so that's pointless)
I am in an area that has both MTN and Openserve (Aerial fibre). I am using OpenServe , and it comes from the pole to the my network closet room (fancy term :D ) ... in my experience, the Openserve guys are pretty good. TBH, i was shocked(hat tip to CR17) at how great and responsive they were. Hence my tongue in cheek comment to let them do the thinking about how to get the fibre into your house.

In your case, getting double billed for one month should be the least of your problems. At least you will have both options and can switch when the openserve line is ready not impacting work. I guess it will be a big selling point for you too in the future to have two providers for your house giving future buy nice choices!