Affordable cellphone to cellphone VoIP calls growing

Imminent

my not so smart SE W995 can do voip. Damn bastard cellular operators will probably start asking that voip be disabled on cellphones somehow in the future.

Hopefully they can't and will have to start upgrading their systems and stop relying on sms and calls to make their profit

Mach III

Expert Member
Everyone that has a problem with Vodacom or MTN switch over to VOIP NOW!

TJ99

Honorary Master
my not so smart SE W995 can do voip. Damn bastard cellular operators will probably start asking that voip be disabled on cellphones somehow in the future.

Hopefully they can't and will have to start upgrading their systems and stop relying on sms and calls to make their profit
Yup, in some countries they already have, like the USA. Of course, over there you get uncapped or high capped data contracts, so they realised you could call everyone for free if you're not stupid and they have a VOIP client as well. So Verizon et al decided to force Skype to not make their program available to people on their network. Telkom would be so proud.

dr_tech

Seriously VOIP may be punted as the "next big thing", but the voice quality is horrible. At best it's always best effort as the coding schemes(G729) of VOIP makes use of a very low bit rate, which inherently gives it a big draw back in terms of speech quality. In my experience International calls using only one leg VOIP has terrible call quality, you can barely hear what the other party is saying.
VOIP for Skype may be great, but for POTS please give me a Circuit Switched G711 call with good quality to hear what the other person is saying and I'm willing to pay for it.

Mach III

Expert Member
So if someone like Cell C promoted it. Everyone would buy Cell C data bundles with an sms bundle and everyone is sorted.

I just DL'd a voIP program ;)

killadoob

Honorary Master
skype is fairly handy surely? You just pay for the data which is next to nothing compare to cellphone rates.

Everyone should get a phone capable of running skype, would save thousands a year on phone bills.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Cell networks are way too erratic to make VOIP an option for me. It means I must take 3 times longer to make half my calls and I dont have that kind of time.

Buzybuy

Dealer
Cellphone operators won't allow VOIP traffic on their network if it becomes mainstream. They already have a clause against it.

thesones

I remember seeing a clause against it aswell, something about charging R25/meg for calls made from a cellphone using VOIP, if you get caught?

anyone else know about this

CeeBee

Expert Member
have done Skype call on my cellula to another skype user... of course current data rates not so cheap

basketcase

I already get free data access at AlwaysOn hotspots through my FNB Connect VoIP app...even when I am not using a free Wi-Fi hotspot the data cost is so low it doesn't make sense to use Telkom or a cellphone anymore...

Even for my house I connect a SNOM device to my ADSL line, which is much more cost effective than traditional telephony..quality through SNOM is excellent!!

thesuspect

I have a few VOIP options installed on my Android smartphone. I am now waiting (in vain) for everyone I call and who call me to do the same. Seems to be a dream reserved for the tech savvy. For the rest there is SMS

Tns

Executive Member
what is the cost difference in price for say a 5minute call on (weekender plus or whatever) and data rate? which will be cheaper

Daruk

Honorary Master
If you use cell c prepaid @ R2 per mb, it'll be pretty costly :)

zamicro

Expert Member
Well according to the info on skype's forum it uses about 1GB/40hours for voice. (That is if you are not a relay for other peoples calls!) so 1GB/2400 minutes. Take 1 GB as R250 then it works out to about 10.5c per minute. So what does the cell networks charge per minute for voice? This cellc data bundle seems like a very good idea.