Affordable Windows VPS Hosting in South Africa

koeks525

Expert Member
Hi Everyone,

I really miss having a Windows VPS Server - it was nice to use, configure and was not bound by ridiculous shared hosting tendencies (shaping traffic, lack of SDK updates, etc.).

I would like to know which providers in South Africa have really affordable or, reasonably priced VPS hosting for Windows. I want to host .NET Core apps, and run a MS SQL database server on it. Might wanna do other things like scheduling of jobs.

Thanks.

ronald911

Expert Member
Don't know much about Windows VPS's, but I know Azure have servers in SA now. Might be worth checking out their rates.

bchip

Have you tried the Amazon free tier?

Also the paid for Amazon VPS's are $10 - $20 a month, which is quite reasonable.

Reason I would also recommend Amazon (or non-SA) is Im not sure how resilient
our companies are against loadshedding. Something to consider.

bchip

I want to host .NET Core apps, and run a MS SQL database server on it...
Thanks.
Also Postgres ftw!

Also if you learned to use Linux as well then you could do ALL these requirements for half the price on Amazon.
It would be more stable and linux is priced lower than Windows options.
Considering what you are asking to do I would recommend this,
especially if I can use Ubuntu or Mint then anyone can.

Last edited:

koeks525

Expert Member
Also Postgres ftw!

Also if you learned to use Linux as well then you could do ALL these requirements for half the price on Amazon.
It would be more stable and linux is priced lower than Windows options.
Considering what you are asking to do I would recommend this.
Maybe this should be the next thing I do - instead of going Windows, I could, with the help of the interwebs, run everything on Linux based VPS.

bchip

I started using linux only recently, thought it would be much harder.
Been loving it. For work .Net Apps, creating DB's it works incredibly well.
It's also a good skill to be able to add to your CV Im sure.

I found that the difficulties only come in when Linux and Windows try and talk to one another,
with everything else it worked well.

I started with Ubuntu, but Mint is also recommended. Ubuntu is backed by Mark Shuttleworth I believe.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Disclaimer: I'm not into Windows, but the following companies do offer Windows VPS: (I have used Linux VPS from various of them, can't really recommend one over the other, all were fine in my experience. Didn't have demanding applications though so YMMV.)

hostafrica.co.za
domains.co.za
virtualservers.co.za
absolutehosting.co.za
clickworks.co.za

Take your pick, I guess. If you prefer to support some local companies instead of the big international ones. Their pricing is all pretty reasonable.

bchip

hostafrica.co.za - windows
3 CPU
4 GB Ram
150GB SSD
for R570 per month

hostafrica.co.za - linux
3 CPU
4 GB Ram
100GB SSD
for R415 per month

Amazon - t3.medium - windows
4 CPU
4 GB Ram
$40 = R 560 @ R14

Amazon - t3.medium - linux
4 CPU
4 GB Ram
$30 = R 420 @ R14

Quite similar, interesting though last month I paid R 350 for the t3.large (4 CPU, 8GB Ram)

https://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html?nc2=h_ql_pr

bchip

Another difference I noticed was that harddrive space on hostafrica is 100/150 GB
Amazon is 30 GB

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
hostafrica.co.za - windows
3 CPU
4 GB Ram
150GB SSD
for R570 per month

hostafrica.co.za - linux
3 CPU
4 GB Ram
100GB SSD
for R415 per month

Amazon - t3.medium - windows
4 CPU
4 GB Ram
$40 = R 560 @ R14

Amazon - t3.medium - linux
4 CPU
4 GB Ram
$30 = R 420 @ R14

Quite similar, interesting though last month I paid R 350 for the t3.large (4 CPU, 8GB Ram)

https://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html?nc2=h_ql_pr
vCPU not CPU. Totally different things.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Thanks, didnt realize that.
Yeah, it's annoying.
Was trying to figure out the actual performance of Hetzner vs datakeepers/virtualhosts as I was messing with spinning up a couple of docker instances that would basically use no disc space/bandwidth but could spike in CPU use of queried. Looking at the "product spec sheet" is useless, ended up just running a test on both to see. I ended up going to datakeepers as performance was close enough that I went with the cost saving (am a student. :p).

Spinter

@koeks525 you might also want to have a look at: https://ivecloud.co.za/.

I have been using them for abt 3 months now and i must admit its the best performance ive seen so far.

The other companies are good choices as ive used some of them in the past but if you looking for a good quality server thats not going to mess up your budget, then give these guys a try.

Fyi, the apear to be the cheapest of all listed here :)

Cheers.

ronald911

Expert Member
You can get a $5 (±R70/m) server (1gb ram) on Vultr / Linode / DigitalOcean and it's prepaid, billed hourly - so you can kill you server anytime and just pay for what you used.

Most SA Hosting providers are like signing up for an ADSL account.

Need to give 30 days notice when you want to cancel etc etc and last time I had to contact a customer support (in other words, a HUMAN ☠️ ) just to change the linux distro on my VPS.

Super annoying especially if you just wanna do some testing and stuff and only need a server for a few days / hours.

But then again, it's been 3 years, so that may have changed since.

Last edited:

Spacerat

AWS is actually quite a bit cheaper than Azure. Almost half the price. I needed a Windows Server instance and went AWS.

If you using .NET Core then running that on Linux is easy. That is what Core is all about

shanezn186

AWS. For development use, use AWS EC2 scheduler trick to ensure your machine gets powered down automatically after hours.