African Bank client data exposed after debt collector hit by ransomware

KikzAzz

The are not protecting their client's data properly, but then Swanepoel gives tips on how you should take precautions against attacks?

rvZA

Executive Member
The are not protecting their client's data properly, but then Swanepoel gives tips on how you should take precautions against attacks?

Have you not yet learnt anything from the big banks? It is always the clients' fault.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
It did not reveal exactly what types of personal data was exposed.
These agencies have everything on their debtors - Bank account details, account standing, cellphone number, ID number, Residential address, E-mail, Credit bureau data, Home affairs data, data on salary payments. Literally everything short of a DNA sample.

Very unfortunate for the individuals whose data has been leaked.

rvZA

Executive Member
These agencies have everything on their debtors - Bank account details, account standing, cellphone number, ID number, Residential address, E-mail, Credit bureau data, Home affairs data, data on salary payments. Literally everything short of a DNA sample.

Very unfortunate for the individuals whose data has been leaked.

Not as if any of this information has not been leaked before in the various credit bureau leaks or other leaks people do not even know of.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
African bank again.
I had someone trying to open an account there in my name not too long ago.
Experian to blame for that one IMO.

mpdjhb

Everyone is vulnerable to these enormous criminal syndicates - anyone thinking they are immune and that the company breached is automatically at fault or automatically negligent is fooling themselves.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I find it strange that companies that have been victims of ransomware attacks almost immediately claim that no data breach has occurred. Same story with the ransomware attack at the DOJ. I'm no cybersecurity expert, but I'm willing to bet that in almost 100% of ransomware cases a data breach has occurred.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
Everyone is vulnerable to these enormous criminal syndicates - anyone thinking they are immune and that the company breached is automatically at fault or automatically negligent is fooling themselves.
This.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
I find it strange that companies that have been victims of ransomware attacks almost immediately claim that no data breach has occurred. Same story with the ransomware attack at the DOJ. I'm no cybersecurity expert, but I'm willing to bet that in almost 100% of ransomware cases a data breach has occurred.
Not necessarily. Ransomware encrypts your data, not all ransomware exfiltrates data. It depends on the nature of the breach and whether the perp is interested in taking it further.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
South Africa is going to be low hanging fruit for hackers for a long time still. Our information security practices are terrible.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
I
Sure, not always the company at fault - as some of these attacks are extremely sophisticated but many of these companies are not taking even the most basic steps to protect their client's info. For one, very few companies actually encrypt personally identifiable data.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Who determined that it was sophisticated? Is that ponytail speak for we forked up?

Thor

Honorary Master
Would love to get a truthful explanation of what actually happened.