Africa's Worst New Internet Censorship Law Could be Coming to South Africa

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Africa's Worst New Internet Censorship Law Could be Coming to South Africa

Only once in a while does an Internet censorship law or regulation come along that is so audacious in its scope, so misguided in its premises, and so poorly thought out in its execution, that you have to check your calendar to make sure April 1 hasn't come around again.

The Draft Online Regulation Policy recently issued by the Film and Publication Board (FPB) of South Africa is such a regulation. It's as if the fabled prude Mrs. Grundy had been brought forward from the 18th century, stumbled across hustler.com on her first excursion online, and promptly cobbled together a law to shut the Internet down. Yes, it's that bad.

Ykv

How will they enforce this? Is it even possible?

Veroland

Executive Member
Will this apply to restaurants etc. creating adds and distributing it online to their branches as well?

Solitude

Executive Member
If this comes to pass then I will emigrate. It's just getting beyond ridiculous now.

TJ99

Honorary Master
Dear Youtube

Please remove the following video making fun of our Dear and Most Glorious Benevolent Dictator For Life, or risk our wrath:

Regards

Bureau For Making Proper Citizens (previously Film and Publication Board)
Ministry of Truth
Somewhere you can't even find on a map
Africa

Reaction at the Youtube offices:

Laughing-Thunderbirds.gif

White House response:

obama-laughing2.jpg

Utterly Confused

Reminds me of the censor board run by the Afrikaner verkrampte Nationalist Party where a bunch of old tannies dictated what we could watch and what we couldn’t watch! :sick:

Valhallan

Petition signed ! ...F u ANC...take my free internet away out my cold dead fingers!

rorz0r

Executive Member
These folks should have been drowned at birth.

I order you to remove this comment from the internet RIGHT NOW. Also please advise your address for the delivery of the invoice for me reviewing this comment. kthxbye.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Where ?

Auz has even worse censorship

I would disagree there...
They have a lot of people who whinge and cry and have videos taken down (a method known as false-flagging) but it isn't that bad, yet.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I would disagree there...
They have a lot of people who whinge and cry and have videos taken down (a method known as false-flagging) but it isn't that bad, yet.

The mechanism is still there. I hate words nanny state but they are a nanny state.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Oz is a nanny state, no denying that... but what is the alternative?
To sit in darkness in this craphole?

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Possibly... But censorship is censorship

So what. Many people emigrate from SA because of crime. It's not like other parts of the world are entirely crime free. You look at the advantages and disadvantages and relative risks and decide.

Last edited:

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
How will they enforce this? Is it even possible?

They can make it illegal for you to view unapproved content. That means that while google may not block the content, if the govt can show you accessed it, you may be committing a felony.