AfriForum has withdrawn private prosecution of prominent businessman accused of child rape - NPA

thechamp

Honorary Master
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in Gauteng says it has learnt that lobby group AfriForum has withdrawn its private prosecution of a prominent businessman who allegedly raped his three-year-old granddaughter.

The head of AfriForum's private prosecutions unit, advocate Gerrie Nel, was due to prosecute the man in what would have been the lobby group's first private prosecution.

konfab

Honorary Master
Afriforum are a bunch of clowns...

Never liked them. They use the suffering of farmer to collect money and drive agendas
Huh?
The NPA issued the group with a certificate confirming it was declining the prosecution (nolle prosequi certificate). The handing over of the certificate enabled the child's mother to privately prosecute the grandfather on counts of rape and sexual assault.

"The NPA has since learnt that AfriForum withdrew this prosecution on 12 September 2019, citing that the mother does not want to continue with the prosecution.
There is literally nothing they can do about this.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Huh?

There is literally nothing they can do about this.
I am more surprised that it is only making the news now, because, the headline reads and then immediately states:

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in Gauteng says it has learnt that lobby group AfriForum has withdrawn its private prosecution of a prominent businessman who allegedly raped his three-year-old granddaughter.
and then when they quote the NPA spokesperson, they add:

"The NPA has since learnt that AfriForum withdrew this prosecution on 12 September 2019, citing that the mother does not want to continue with the prosecution.
This is more like the NPA rubbing it in, that Nel and co. can't do it better than them. The timing is odd... I am sure the media would have known about this since the prosecution was withdrawn, it would be even odder to see the NPA only learn about it now meaning that they don't actually know what goes on in any case. I mean, this is more than 3 months ago.

konfab

Honorary Master
Did I make the comment about this specific case, or the clown organisation that is Afriforum?
Comprehension much?
Comprehension would imply that I look at the posts you are replying to, you know to comprehend why you might be making the post. Since the only other post above yours was the OP that was about the case, a reasonable person would have concluded you were calling Afriforum clowns for withdrawing the prosecution.

To illustrate the point:
Post 1: X people have done Y to Z.
Post 2: X people are clowns.

What is the more likely inference? That X people are clowns because they did Y to Z or that they are clowns regardless of the previous post that was about them?

konfab

Honorary Master
We could nit pick all day. Let's stay with the organisation as a whole, I despise them! They will NEVER get a cent from me.
Fine, this thread isn't about them looking for donations. It is about their private prosecutions.

There are organisations to hate in this country, the ANC, EFF, BLF, SAHRC the list goes on. These organisations want to send you and your family into poverty and misery to satisfy their dumb ideology.

Hating the people fighting for property rights and freedom of speech? In other words, fighting to keep the government out of your life? Yeah.... nice one.

I don't give money to them either FYI.

SoldierMan

We could nit pick all day. Let's stay with the organisation as a whole, I despise them! They will NEVER get a cent from me.
Nah I'm serious, what is it that makes you despise them, I'm curious? Maybe there's something I should know about.

Is it because they are mainly Afrikaans, so you assume much of their focus (I assume they would, but not solely) will be one of Afrikaans related issues?

I've never paid them much attention really, haven't seen any reason to despise them though...

thechamp

Honorary Master
In a case like this where a toddler was raped, can the parents withdraw the case? I thought it was the role of the state to protect kids (vulnerable people).
The state already decided not to prosecute, I don't know what know what happens to the role of the state in a private prosecution. But yes, the parents cannot withdraw as far as I know.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The state already decided not to prosecute, I don't know what know what happens to the role of the state in a private prosecution. But yes, the parents cannot withdraw as far as I know.
Yes, there is a social responsibility.

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
In a case like this where a toddler was raped, can the parents withdraw the case? I thought it was the role of the state to protect kids (vulnerable people).
The South African State you say... Tsch... Tsch... They will rather prosecute the lightning strike in the Natal Midlands