Afrihost 10Mbps uncapped ADSL Home account put to the test

moabin

If I could get 10mbps I would upgrade to one of these accounts...Never had a bad day dealing with Africom.

Roadrunner

Expert Member
What is this 10Mb/s thing they are talking about?

Vaguely remember Telkom promising something like that over two years ago to exchanges that falls within their Metro Ethernet network.

Last edited:

Spyk3r

Expert Member
Well I am on this account.

been since 6 June.

I have done in excess of 250gb so far with no signs of a slow down. My line sync's at 7.5mbps. So im not getting full speed, but certainly manage 800-810kB/s. Apart from an issue with IS regarding ping times, this is the best account I have had.

No issues when browsing, youtubing, 9gagging, voiping. it all works well.

Pavan

Expert Member
Well I am on this account.

been since 6 June.

I have done in excess of 250gb so far with no signs of a slow down. My line sync's at 7.5mbps. So im not getting full speed, but certainly manage 800-810kB/s. Apart from an issue with IS regarding ping times, this is the best account I have had.

No issues when browsing, youtubing, 9gagging, voiping. it all works well.
Afrihost's bandwidth is from IS right?

Pienats

Really looks promising, one might have to relook at how they handle usage.
Can anyone from Afrihost comment on how usage is handled? The last few months our household has averaged anywhere between 50 and 100GB per month. That's 4 people with smart phones, several computers with various OSes etc. Lots of youtubing and OS updates and working with code repos overseas, fairly legit usage. Currently on the MWEB 1Mbps uncapped and very happy with it, but looking at higher speeds in the future, Afrihost certainly seems far more cost effective (barring price drops from MWEB). I just don't want to move over and be labeled as a heavy user for fairly mundane stuff.

Juice

Expert Member
Does Afrihost still have the 'rolling window' throttle on their 'uncapped' products? i.e. if you're downloading more than some arbitrary threshold (50Gb?) during a 30-day rolling period, then your connection will be throttled until your window has cleared the threshold again?

Juice

Spyk3r

Expert Member
Can anyone from Afrihost comment on how usage is handled? The last few months our household has averaged anywhere between 50 and 100GB per month. That's 4 people with smart phones, several computers with various OSes etc. Lots of youtubing and OS updates and working with code repos overseas, fairly legit usage. Currently on the MWEB 1Mbps uncapped and very happy with it, but looking at higher speeds in the future, Afrihost certainly seems far more cost effective (barring price drops from MWEB). I just don't want to move over and be labeled as a heavy user for fairly mundane stuff.
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...B-amp-10-MB)?p=8383897&viewfull=1#post8383897

Thats on the 4mbps and 10mbps :)

Pienats

Anyone from MWEB, are there any price reductions in the near future? Sounds like many customers are preparing to jump ship to Afrihost...

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Sounds like the 10Mbps is generally passing all the tests. Keep the feedback coming though, we're always open to suggestions of how we can make it more awesome :)

Pienats

Sounds like the 10Mbps is generally passing all the tests. Keep the feedback coming though, we're always open to suggestions of how we can make it more awesome :)
Hi Afriman,
I can't seem to find a clear, recent answer to the following 2 questions:
1) Does Afrihost still implement usage thresholds after which throttling/shaping is applied?
2) If so, what are these thresholds for each account type?

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Hi Afriman,
I can't seem to find a clear, recent answer to the following 2 questions:
1) Does Afrihost still implement usage thresholds after which throttling/shaping is applied?
2) If so, what are these thresholds for each account type?
We do implement a throttle once a threshold is reached over a 3o day rolling period. It's a bit much to go through all settings. What speed are you looking at for uncapped?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
We do implement a throttle once a threshold is reached over a 3o day rolling period. It's a bit much to go through all settings. What speed are you looking at for uncapped?
Hey dude :)

Is there a post detailing what the approximate thresholds are? Also, will you guys be keeping the 1 Mbps pricing once it is upgraded to 2 Mbps?