Afrihost Capped DSL Feedback

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
I've noticed bad youtube performance over the last few days, is anything amiss with the google cache?

Hmm.... that is odd. We haven't noticed anything out of the normal. There haven't been any complaints on our side.

Have you done the usual tests, like trying a different browser and so on?

pouroverguy

Expert Member
Horrible performance on my 12mbps line today. Tested with both a Vox capped account and an Afrihost capped account. I restarted the router etc - contacted afrihost and apparently there is a problem in my area since the 9th of April. I haven't had issues until today so not sure if it's that.

please help @AfriNatic

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
Horrible performance on my 12mbps line today. Tested with both a Vox capped account and an Afrihost capped account. I restarted the router etc - contacted afrihost and apparently there is a problem in my area since the 9th of April. I haven't had issues until today so not sure if it's that.

please help @AfriNatic

Sorry that I'm only getting to you now. Have you have run any traceroutes or ping tests at all via LAN cable? If you have, please post them here.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
@AfriNatic

This isnt a DSL issue bit why isnt there a Afrihost Fibre leaderboard on your website, there is a DSL one but no fibre.

Thanks.

d.casper.b

If I want to switch my line to you (currently with Telkom, but get data from another ISP), must I call Telkom and tell them? And I was told by the call centre I'd have no internet connection for 7-14 days..
I probably have the best capped package (400gb unshaped, free off-peak data, 6-month roll over for ~R180) so I really don't want to bother, but I need to cut costs where I can - and I'm willing to get a 150gb capped package SHAPED (even though I really am skeptical), for that. So, tell me about the switch. I can't really sit without internet, 1 -2 days maybe, but even so.

Nikkel

Expert Member
If I want to switch my line to you (currently with Telkom, but get data from another ISP), must I call Telkom and tell them? And I was told by the call centre I'd have no internet connection for 7-14 days..
I probably have the best capped package (400gb unshaped, free off-peak data, 6-month roll over for ~R180) so I really don't want to bother, but I need to cut costs where I can - and I'm willing to get a 150gb capped package SHAPED (even though I really am skeptical), for that. So, tell me about the switch. I can't really sit without internet, 1 -2 days maybe, but even so.
Not worth the effort to score +-R30 and lose 250gb data

Nikkel

Expert Member
It's more than that, but only around R150 or R180 if I switch my line over to them. But I'm listening, thanks
The hassle comes when wanting to switch your line back or to different ISP at future time...it will go into holding pool for a while and you'll have downtime

ToniO

Problems with line speed:

I recently upgraded from 8 to 20 mbps on a capped bundle. According to Telkom my line qualifies. According to Afrihost I am 658m from the exchange and the guideline is 1200m.

I’ve never got more than around 13mbps download and never more than 0.75Mbps upload. I’ve calculated my downstream attenuation and I should get a max of 21.4.

I’m confused as to why the upload speed is so out of proportion to the download speed. For video calling a minimum of 1.5mbps upload is required.

I’ve tested with wifi disconnected and using one ethernet connection.

Could you advise?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep

I think you were given the wrong information here.

Basically, all you need to do is cancel your line with Telkom and ask them to put your line in the holding pool. Once there your line should still have a connection. Just make sure you order the line with us before the 14 days are up or your line will be totally cancelled and you would have missed the migration window.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Company Rep
Problems with line speed:

I recently upgraded from 8 to 20 mbps on a capped bundle. According to Telkom my line qualifies. According to Afrihost I am 658m from the exchange and the guideline is 1200m.

I’ve never got more than around 13mbps download and never more than 0.75Mbps upload. I’ve calculated my downstream attenuation and I should get a max of 21.4.

I’m confused as to why the upload speed is so out of proportion to the download speed. For video calling a minimum of 1.5mbps upload is required.

I’ve tested with wifi disconnected and using one ethernet connection.

Could you advise?

How did you test your distance from the exchange?

ToniO

How did you test your distance from the exchange?
The afrihost DSL technician did it. I could throw a stone at the exchange from my fence, but he told me the actual line distance will be more (than a stone's throw.)

Hi Afripeeps, please can someone contact me regarding hosting query VZM-654-64111

First support line is giving me canned responses and I am getting annoyed.

Hi Afripeeps, please can someone contact me regarding hosting query VZM-654-64111

First support line is giving me canned responses and I am getting annoyed.

Hello!?!?

Your outgoing spam filter is blocking our mails and support tickets are not being responded to or offering "helpful" suggestions like remove URL's from the mails, a bit difficult in our use case... Please assist!