Afrihost customers on Openserve to get free speed upgrades

ghostRgg

Expert Member
This is such a weird promo btw, so I sign up to X ISP to get free installation then contact Afrihost who will now cover my costs from that ISP up to R5000 which will obviously include the installation.

Why not just offer free installation from the start?
Migration and Installation are two separate things. That promo is specifically for users who have fibre and want to migrate ISP's on that Fibre Network, which normally has a certain fee.

GreatWmR

Expert Member
This DSL upgrade is it only for the Pure ADSL customers or the normal ADSL customers aswell?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
This DSL upgrade is it only for the Pure ADSL customers or the normal ADSL customers aswell?

For DSL the pricing will remain as is. Openserve will be changing the line speeds automatically which means if you are on a legacy capped account the speeds will be increased.

If any changes are done on DSL we will update the website and announce these changes to our DSL clients.

Budza

Executive Member
Afrihost customers on Openserve to get free speed upgrades

Afrihost fibre and DSL clients which use Openserve infrastructure are getting free line speed upgrades in March.

Earlier this month, Openserve informed Internet service providers (ISPs) it would be implementing connection speed upgrades across its fibre and copper products from 1 March 2021.

Time for a comparative article @Jamie McKane - new ISP speeds & prices.

Octotel increased speeds (& some prices!) a while back.

Let's get a picture of the FNO's offerings from March onwards & a few ISPs pricing for those packages.

krycor

Honorary Master
Nice.. now to buy gbps lan cable to link upstairs of house.

rodga

Honorary Master
We are excited about these changes. This will increase the value for every client on the Openserve network with us and are getting ready for exciting times ahead! :)
My MIL is on the 8Mbps Openserve Pure Fibre package, would she also be upgraded?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
My MIL is on the 8Mbps Openserve Pure Fibre package, would she also be upgraded?

These are legacy packages and they stay as is for now. Remember these are currently a 10/10 line that we cap speeds to 8Mbps.

Jiggey China

I think Openserve should introduce 250/125Mbps, 500/250Mbps and 1Gbps/500Mbps price plans and scrap the 200/100Mbps plan. Perhaps they'll need to upgrade some part of their network if it can't handle the load like utilizing NG-PON2 or XGS-PON network topologies. These are exciting times indeed.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
That's the great thing about capitalism - if one provider improves value significantly, others have to follow to stay relevant.
They did, but decided the whole of Port Elizabeth would not take part in this capitalist venture...

RVFmal

Expert Member
For possibly the first time ever, I really hope that at some stage Openserve get to install fibre infrastructure in our hood as an option over the aerial fibre cable Vumatel/Frgofoot installed.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
For possibly the first time ever, I really hope that at some stage Openserve get to install fibre infrastructure in our hood as an option over the aerial fibre cable Vumatel/Frgofoot installed.
Careful what you wish for. Openserve have not gotten rid of their Telkom monopoly attitude completely yet.

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
Careful what you wish for. Openserve have not gotten rid of their Telkom monopoly attitude completely yet.

???

I strongly disagree. Openserve have been nothing short of amazing, and if your area has only one FNO, consider the costs involved in installing new infrastructure and how difficult our Gov's regulation (and municipal) is to get past. Not to mention the added headache if you live in a complex because HOA are usually very misinformed.

Openserve lets you use any ISP, with nothing more than a quick user/pass change. No MAC locking, no single session limits and they just proved they care about continuous improvement of value for their customers for doubling their speeds for free and having the highest uptime of any FNO, at the largest scale of any FNO in the country.

Neo_X

Expert Member
awesome news!
thank you afrihost -> you really are going above and beyond!

richjdavies

Expert Member
and having the highest uptime of any FNO, at the largest scale of any FNO in the country.
Wow... Really. Would be good to see some figures.

(Seriously... Not sarcasm. Have openserve currently and always wonder if its good or not, we did have some problems in our old place)

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
Wow... Really. Would be good to see some figures.

(Seriously... Not sarcasm. Have openserve currently and always wonder if its good or not, we did have some problems in our old place)

@cavedog would be more privy to those figures, he's probably the most knowledgable non-ISP owner on the forum right now but I like OSINT so...

I picked a big ISP with open access to their fibre network faults (https://www.afrihost.com/site/network_status/#fibre-broadband), in this case Afrihost and searched the term "openserve":

Current Openserve faults: 0
ZFjU5q5.png

Resolved (past) Openserve faults: 0
pgkobwZ.png

Then I searched for the other giant FNO Vumatel:

Current Vumatel faults: 38
rCMMzSF.png

Resolved (past) Vumatel faults: 20
Ki5wbuv.png

(screenshots taken at this time: https://web.archive.org/web/20210209205855/https://www.afrihost.com/site/network_status/)

Not exactly the most reliable, but it's the closest to "numbers" you'll get at this moment in time :p