Afrihost fiber - CGNATed ?

bar1

Expert Member
Hi,
been having issues in the last few weeks with accessing my services externally , thought its a good opportunity to do a mesh network with openwrt but that also didn't work.
I am now realizing that my wan ip is not the same as my real ip.

So I assume afrihost enabled CGNATing on my line?
@AfriGuy @Afrigirl can this please be changed if this is the case?

I can look into IPV6 but for now I need my services up and running again please.

Hi,
been having issues in the last few weeks with accessing my services externally , thought its a good opportunity to do a mesh network with openwrt but that also didn't work.
I am now realizing that my wan ip is not the same as my real ip.

So I assume afrihost enabled CGNATing on my line?
@AfriGuy @Afrigirl can this please be changed if this is the case?

I can look into IPV6 but for now I need my services up and running again please.

Please send me a dm with your email address so I can allocate a public IP.

Thanks, on the one hand good service, and I am reading this thread about ISP's asking for money to exit CGNET.
on the other hand I spent most of my weekend looking at firewall rules....

Adding to this. Is CGNAT a thing of you are paying for a static IP address?

I signed up for the static IP a couple months ago and now notice that while websites see my static IP and I can reach my home network via said IP my router reports my WAN address as a 10.x.x.x class A IP. This causes issues with some scripts on my router which look for the public IP.

I signed up for the static IP a couple months ago and now notice that while websites see my static IP and I can reach my home network via said IP my router reports my WAN address as a 10.x.x.x class A IP. This causes issues with some scripts on my router which look for the public IP.
DNS override on your router to point it at the internal router IP.

With Openserve, we assign a NAT static IP address.

The IP is static, which means the public-facing IP will never change. The natted IP address assigned on the WAN port will change and will be in the 10. range. Each time your router dials a pppoe connection this 10. IP will change, but the public IP will be static. We forward all traffic from the 169—static public IP to whatever natted 10. IP you have on the wan port so there will be no traffic or ports blocked.

Thanks for the explination. I assumed something like this.

My script in question is for my router to update the dynamic dns entry. Yes I know I have a static address but it was in place when the stress was dynamic and it at least caters for a situation where afrihost somehow does change my static address.

I will come up with another script but it looks to me like even with a paid for static IP I cannot avoid being NATted. Not that I am complaining it is not affecting me.

On a side note can I ask if the ipv6 prefix that afrihost assigns me is static at all? Or will this change when the router reconnects?

My script in question is for my router to update the dynamic dns entry. Yes I know I have a static address but it was in place when the stress was dynamic and it at least caters for a situation where afrihost somehow does change my static address.

I will come up with another script but it looks to me like even with a paid for static IP I cannot avoid being NATted. Not that I am complaining it is not affecting me.

On a side note can I ask if the ipv6 prefix that afrihost assigns me is static at all? Or will this change when the router reconnects?
Afrihost actually provides you with a dynamic DNS if that helps.

It's yourusername.ip.afrihost.co.za

It's not static. Unfortunately, for now we can not assign a static allocation. It's dynamic but based on the router's mac address, so the prefix assigned will also not change if the mac address doesn't change.

We might offer static prefixes in the future.

It's not static. Unfortunately, for now we can not assign a static allocation. It's dynamic but based on the router's mac address, so the prefix assigned will also not change if the mac address doesn't change.

We might offer static prefixes in the future.
Well to me that seems static enough. I assume then that is the same for any device that I want to host a service on with ipv6 as from my understanding you guys allocate each ipv6 address even on my side of the router do you not? I would just need to allow in my firewall unsolicited connections to that ipv6 address?

Oh wow I did not know that and here I am playing for a static address.

Do they offer the same for AAAA records?

We did only offer the AAAA record for the IA_NA which wasn't that helpful.

We have recently removed ipv6 mapping for subscribers due to various challenges in network hardware wise so for now it doesn't support AAAA records.

Afrihost actually provides you with a dynamic DNS if that helps.

It's yourusername.ip.afrihost.co.za

Hi all... Anyone know if this dynamic DNS service works for Pure LTE / Fixed LTE as well? These accounts are assigned public IP addresses, but not static.

Also, anyone know if you can apply for a static IP Address on Pure LTE / Fixed LTE ?

Also, anyone know if you can apply for a static IP Address on Pure LTE / Fixed LTE ?
Hi. Unfortunately, not.

Hi all... Anyone know if this dynamic DNS service works for Pure LTE / Fixed LTE as well? These accounts are assigned public IP addresses, but not static.
Yes, it should work if you already have a public IP.
number.ip.airmobile.co.za

Last edited:
Back