Afrihost Fibre Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunkyd

Executive Member
Seems fibre is not all it was promised to be.....
Unsightly wires everywhere
Skew poles everywhere
Breakages
Slow
Pavement damage
Suppliers going bangkrot
I'm more than happy with my fast MTN Lte contract thanks, now into my 5th month without even a millisecond stutter !!!
And with roll overs etc I have more gigawhatevers to last a lifetime !!!

cavedog

Honorary Master
Skew poles everywhere
Breakages
Slow
Pavement damage
Suppliers going bangkrot
I'm more than happy with my fast MTN Lte contract thanks, now into my 5th month without even a millisecond stutter !!!

I have no idea what your agenda is to be honest. There is no skew poles everywhere and pavement damages. Slow speeds are usually ISP specific or a specific fibre network not fibre in general. Suppliers going bangkrot wtf is that how did you even make such absurd statement.

Openserve 200Mbps fibre with MTN Supersonic. NEVER down once since installed. Completely uncapped so I can save all my files on Google drives unlimited storage plan to upload and download on demand at 1st world speeds at a price which some developed countries can't match.

Aerial fibre is 1 string of fibre coming into the house or apartment from the pole and trenched you don't even see. Maybe you are okay with MTN LTE because someone else has to wake up every morning to a tower blocking the sunrise for them but hey it's okay because it's not your problem.

dunkyd

Executive Member
Trenched ? My nearby suburb has poles both sides of road. 2 wires on one, 1 on other.
Travel around more.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Trenched ? My nearby suburb has poles both sides of road. 2 wires on one, 1 on other.
Travel around more.

Openserve is mostly Aerial in Gauteng because the poles for the copper lines are already there so no digging. It's cheaper and quicker to roll out. Vumatel is trenched unless it's GPON which was rolled out by Fibrehoods. I think you are confused. The poles here run at the back of the houses not along the streets. with Vumatel GPON it's usually running with the street lights and obviously Vumatel trenched you don't see.

I don't know what your issue is but the issue you have where you live is not a general "fibre" thing. Just saying.

Banner32

I have had endless trouble since I've taken my fibre out in February. Constant outages, degraded speeds (0.1mbps type speeds) and numerous WhatsApp chats where faults are not logged.

Asking for refunds fall on deaf ears, asking for managers is a waste of time, everytime I call in I'm asked to switch to cable because wifi is bad (wifi isn't bad and your techs need to stop pushing this agenda, also the tests after tests after tests I always have to waste my time doing are all on cable or directly on the ONT, never a wifi in sight. But hey, it's my wifi that's apparently the problem. )

I know where the issue lies. It lies with the dhcp service and the pool of IPs I'm assigned to. Every single time I have issues I'm either not receiving a dynamic IP or the 102.182.x.x IP on afrihost side is timing out or has massive latency spikes.

I am tired of this fighting with afrihost every week over the same issue and the line is down at the most inconvenient times.
I feel you pain although I am on Fibre , there seems to be issues with the ip every few weeks , I lose connection , have to fight with 5 people who keep blaming TT connect and then need to tell them what the issue is! At the moment I am down for 6 hours with no resolution, they just send you standard responses on weekends via E-Mail , really rubbish service.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I feel you pain although I am on Fibre , there seems to be issues with the ip every few weeks , I lose connection , have to fight with 5 people who keep blaming TT connect and then need to tell them what the issue is! At the moment I am down for 6 hours with no resolution, they just send you standard responses on weekends via E-Mail , really rubbish service.
You get scummy companies, TT Connect is one, https://mybroadband.co.za/news/fibr...in-court-battle-over-poor-service-levels.html
it's not the fiber itself that's bad.

MavChat

Expert Member
Strange as it worked on mobile data and a VPN
DSTV was not allowing connections from Afrihost IP's to their services. They re-added the IP ranges to their system in order to allow clients to connect.

Ares1000101

I am waiting for my line to be migrated to my new address.... in an hour and a bit it will be a full week of waiting.
How long does Openserve take to migrate a line?!! Flip.

Been asking Afrihost everyday, but all they can tell me is I will get an sms and email when its done. So here I am just venting, getting frustrated. Mobile data eating my salary.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I have had endless trouble since I've taken my fibre out in February. Constant outages, degraded speeds (0.1mbps type speeds) and numerous WhatsApp chats where faults are not logged.

Asking for refunds fall on deaf ears, asking for managers is a waste of time, everytime I call in I'm asked to switch to cable because wifi is bad (wifi isn't bad and your techs need to stop pushing this agenda, also the tests after tests after tests I always have to waste my time doing are all on cable or directly on the ONT, never a wifi in sight. But hey, it's my wifi that's apparently the problem. )

I know where the issue lies. It lies with the dhcp service and the pool of IPs I'm assigned to. Every single time I have issues I'm either not receiving a dynamic IP or the 102.182.x.x IP on afrihost side is timing out or has massive latency spikes.

I am tired of this fighting with afrihost every week over the same issue and the line is down at the most inconvenient times.

I'm sorry that you have been struggling with your connection.

The reason we need you to test via LAN cable is that we need to determine where the cause of the issue is and we cannot do this when you are testing via wifi.

On fibre, your IP address is assigned dynamically however it doesn't work like ADSL. You'll need to be disconnected for at least 7 days to get a new IP address unless we drop your assigned IP manually.

How was your connection when you tested via LAN cable?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Skew poles everywhere
Breakages
Slow
Pavement damage
Suppliers going bangkrot

It isn't perfect and there are also some amazing positives with regards to fibre too.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

I'm very sorry to hear that you are struggling with your connection. There have been some general issues that we do know of. Are you still struggling with your connection at the moment? Can you send us some tests if you are?

dunkyd

Executive Member
It isn't perfect and there are also some amazing positives with regards to fibre too.
Going to get worse....talk on the street is cutting of opposition wires illegally hitching a ride on poles will start soon.
20190506_094956.jpeg

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I am waiting for my line to be migrated to my new address.... in an hour and a bit it will be a full week of waiting.
How long does Openserve take to migrate a line?!! Flip.

Been asking Afrihost everyday, but all they can tell me is I will get an sms and email when its done. So here I am just venting, getting frustrated. Mobile data eating my salary.

I'm so sorry about that. Unfortunately, it does take some time and there are certain phases where we are dependent on Openserve to process the order.

Ares1000101

I'm so sorry about that. Unfortunately, it does take some time and there are certain phases where we are dependent on Openserve to process the order.
What is the average time? I applied for the migration on the afternoon of the 3rd.
Today is 5 working days.

Status
Not open for further replies.