AfriHost - Frogfoot Fibre - Own router pfSense

greggpb

Expert Member
Hi all,

Just had FrogFoot here and they installed a ONT, gonna plug the ONT directly into my pfSense.

From what I understand there is no requirement for an afrihost specific router ?

Is it as simple as setting up DHCP client on he WAN interface(pfsense) and connecting to the ONT?

in the past with ADSL I had to have my pfSense in the DMZ of the ADSL router.

How does the routing work inwards from the fibre to my psfense?

Did try Afrihost support on whats app, but it was a touch above the person's capabilities

cavedog

Honorary Master
So with DHCP you pfSense will get the an Afrihost IP on the WAN port. I'm not familiar with pfSense devices at all so not sure if they provide wifi and even if you require that but doesn't matter because the pfSense will be the "router" if not then you can add device behind the pfSense that can provide wifi and switching capabilities.

portcullis

Cape Connect Internet Rep
Company Rep
So with DHCP you pfSense will get the an Afrihost IP on the WAN port. I'm not familiar with pfSense devices at all so not sure if they provide wifi and even if you require that but doesn't matter because the pfSense will be the "router" if not then you can add device behind the pfSense that can provide wifi and switching capabilities.
^^ What he said.

Out of interest is your pfSense box dedicated, or a VM?

portcullis

Company Rep
You don't connect to the ONT. It is basically a dumb bridge. You connect through it.

The ONT's WAN port is set up with Afrihost's VLAN on the Frogfoot network, while the WAN port is untagged.

So the next device "upstream" you will see, will be Afrihost's DHCP server.

greggpb

Expert Member
Thank you , I have my pfSense(vm) running on a Proxmox Server, but it does have its own pysical LAN and WAN nics

greggpb

Expert Member
Ah makes sense, look like I will get to play later when the kids arent doing homework ;)

portcullis

Company Rep
Thank you , I have my pfSense(vm) running on a Proxmox Server, but it does have its own pysical LAN and WAN nics
There's a vibrant market for people with Proxmox skills - both locally and abroad. Just saying...

greggpb

Expert Member
Thank's Proxmox is a lot of fun, but nobody wants a Truck driver(link) setting up there infrastructure.

portcullis

Company Rep
Thank's Proxmox is a lot of fun, but nobody wants a Truck driver(link) setting up there infrastructure.
If the rumours are to be believed, you're about to run out of diesel ;)

FWIW we have an OPNSense VM in our lab that's giving us no end of trouble getting IPv6 to work.

greggpb

Expert Member
I know ESXi has some issues with VM's and IPv6, What you running that lab on ?